Starting out with Combo Vending Machines

jplvend

Hi

I'm brand new to the vending business and I recently purchased 3 Planet Antares Combo machines.  One of the machines is located and I am working to place the other two. I am currently doing this strictly as a side business but would some day like to take it full time.  I also understand that the Planet Antares machines do not have the best reputation.  However, they are relatively cheap and I have a very limited budget.  However I would like the next machine I purchase to be higher quality.

That said, I would be interested in know what people would recommend with regard to combo machines. I've heard that companies like Wittern and SP make a good machine.  Any others I'm not aware of?  I am trying to buy used if at all possible.

I appreciate any and all advice!  

Thanks for your time!

Jim

Hi

I'm brand new to the vending business and I recently purchased 3 Planet Antares Combo machines.  One of the machines is located and I am working to place the other two. I am currently doing this strictly as a side business but would some day like to take it full time.  I also understand that the Planet Antares machines do not have the best reputation.  However, they are relatively cheap and I have a very limited budget.  However I would like the next machine I purchase to be higher quality.

That said, I would be interested in know what people would recommend with regard to combo machines. I've heard that companies like Wittern and SP make a good machine.  Any others I'm not aware of?  I am trying to buy used if at all possible.

Thanks for your time!

Jim

This has been talked about many times on here. Combo machines are good for two things either someone that owns a small shop (mechanic, dance studio, hair salon, etc) that want to do their own vending or used in a satellite location in a larger facility you already have. A satellite location would mean you have a manufacturing facility and they need a machine in the back drivers lounge for the truck drivers, or the office people need something up front so they don't have to walk through the plant to get to the break room.  

Something no one here ever mentions, yes they are crap, almost impossible to make profitable when you count service calls and redilling to often.... But for a beginner, if bought cheap (not bizop 5000$ each getting robbed) I mean bought for a few hundred dollars, they are a good way to learn for beginner, easy low hanging fruit (not very profitable) customers, also if you lose a customer for whatever reason from a lack of time/experience, you won't end up on the street.

Hi

Thanks for your time!

Jim

Well ... at least you shouldn't have much trouble finding a better machine to buy next time as you've started at the bottom of the barrel.  We advise using full size equipment rather than combos as they'll hold enough product to make a decent profit in a good location.  Most of our members make their living doing this so we don't have time to fool with combo machines.  Next time go for an American made machine such as Automatic Products, National or AMS.  The Wittern group also makes a number of models under different names but I'd stick to the first three.  For your soda machines you'll want Royal, Dixie or Vendo specifically in that order.  Once you start doing this you'll learn real fast why we don't do what you're attempting.

Well ... at least you shouldn't have much trouble finding a better machine to buy next time as you've started at the bottom of the barrel.  We advise using full size equipment rather than combos as they'll hold enough product to make a decent profit in a good location.  Most of our members make their living doing this so we don't have time to fool with combo machines.  Next time go for an American made machine such as Automatic Products, National or AMS.  The Wittern group also makes a number of models under different names but I'd stick to the first three.  For your soda machines you'll want Royal, Dixie or Vendo specifically in that order.  Once you start doing this you'll learn real fast why we don't do what you're attempting.

I agree except I don't have an issue with Wittern equipment and have used it for years. Don't get me wrong I like and use AMS, Crane also. I think they all have their plus and minus things about them. I also agree with your drink machine selection just not in that order. :) 

I really appreciate your input!  My intention right now is to simply break into the business and learn the ropes.  Going with full size machines did occur to me but the price and difficultly in locating them steered me away from that idea.  I agree that what I have is not high quality but it gives me a starting point.  They were less then $1k (3 in total) a piece so I don't feel I was taken especially since one was already in a location.  

That said I agree that my next machine should be full size.  I am leaning towards an all snack machine since it seems like the product turnover would be higher but not really sure.  Just a hunch.  Any advice on that?  Thanks!

I really appreciate your input!  My intention right now is to simply break into the business and learn the ropes.  Going with full size machines did occur to me but the price and difficultly in locating them steered me away from that idea.  I agree that what I have is not high quality but it gives me a starting point.  They were less then $1k (3 in total) a piece so I don't feel I was taken especially since one was already in a location.  

That said I agree that my next machine should be full size.  I am leaning towards an all snack machine since it seems like the product turnover would be higher but not really sure.  Just a hunch.  Any advice on that?  Thanks!

OK first a dose of reality (hate to be blunt) but at any price much less close to 1k a piece is a terrible deal for PA Combo machines. I have heard to many times to count "break into the business and learn the ropes" with these situations. Do yourself a favor and sell off these machines for whatever you can get out of them and get into the business the right way. You will be wasting time and money fooling with these combo machines. 

What is the right way? Find you some accounts that will produce an average of around $100 per machine per week. This will be accounts that will need a drink and snack machine. Vending revenues break down to around 60%/40% with 60% coming from beverages and 40% from snacks and food. So it is a must to get into both drink and snack vending.  

If you just want to make some extra play money (and not much of that) and not make a living off vending then sure play around with these combo machines till you get tired of it and move to something else. If you plan on making a living do what I have said in the beginning of this post and start over. Be thankful you found this forum, be thankful you didn't do something real foolish like many others and drop huge coin in this combo machine vending business and loose your shirt in the process. 

Yes your next machine should be full size but before that find a good location to put a full size machine in. 

Hate to be so blunt and don't take it the wrong way but sometimes the truth is not easy to say without it sounding harsh. Vending is a great business and you can make a nice living at it. You just have to go about it the right way to accomplish that. 

OK first a dose of reality (hate to be blunt) but at any price much less close to 1k a piece is a terrible deal for PA Combo machines. I have heard to many times to count "break into the business and learn the ropes" with these situations. Do yourself a favor and sell off these machines for whatever you can get out of them and get into the business the right way. You will be wasting time and money fooling with these combo machines. 

What is the right way? Find you some accounts that will produce an average of around $100 per machine per week. This will be accounts that will need a drink and snack machine. Vending revenues break down to around 60%/40% with 60% coming from beverages and 40% from snacks and food. So it is a must to get into both drink and snack vending.  

If you just want to make some extra play money (and not much of that) and not make a living off vending then sure play around with these combo machines till you get tired of it and move to something else. If you plan on making a living do what I have said in the beginning of this post and start over. Be thankful you found this forum, be thankful you didn't do something real foolish like many others and drop huge coin in this combo machine vending business and loose your shirt in the process. 

Yes your next machine should be full size but before that find a good location to put a full size machine in. 

Hate to be so blunt and don't take it the wrong way but sometimes the truth is not easy to say without it sounding harsh. Vending is a great business and you can make a nice living at it. You just have to go about it the right way to accomplish that. 

Your being honest and I really appreciate that.  Blunt is just fine with me.  This is the kind of advice I need.  I knew this was not going to be easy so minimizing my mistakes will be key.  I'll look further into the full size machines.  Location is of course critical and that's going to be my biggest challenge right now.  Doing both snacks and drinks makes sense though.  Anyway I'll look to selling off what I have.  Thanks!

Your being honest and I really appreciate that.  Blunt is just fine with me.  This is the kind of advice I need.  I knew this was not going to be easy so minimizing my mistakes will be key.  I'll look further into the full size machines.  Location is of course critical and that's going to be my biggest challenge right now.  Doing both snacks and drinks makes sense though.  Anyway I'll look to selling off what I have.  Thanks!

Only three machine manufactures you need to look at when it comes to snacks USI, Crane, AMS (AP also but no longer made) Drink machines would be Dixe Narco, Royal, Vendo. 

Like I said concentrate on accounts and logistics of running a vending operation more so than. Locations are always the challenge because other things like machines, trucks, etc can be bought. However, locations are the life blood of all vending operations. You constantly need to be trying to gain quality locations. Attrition and churn are always going to be a factor so you have to always have a good sales and marketing strategy in vending. 

Actually most of us find that soda machines do better - my revenue is about 65% from soda and 35% from snacks and sodas are a lot easier to deal with (10 products max with a long shelf life compared to 40 snack items some of which will have a very short shelf life)

I agree except I don't have an issue with Wittern equipment and have used it for years. Don't get me wrong I like and use AMS, Crane also. I think they all have their plus and minus things about them. I also agree with your drink machine selection just not in that order. :)

That order is based on my own personal experience over the last five years.  I'm sure the Vendos work just fine if you can afford the new ones but once they start hitting the ten year mark they've been nothing but trouble (for me at least)

That order is based on my own personal experience over the last five years.  I'm sure the Vendos work just fine if you can afford the new ones but once they start hitting the ten year mark they've been nothing but trouble (for me at least)

Im not a fan of the front and back loading on the Royal. 

Hi

I'm brand new to the vending business and I recently purchased 3 Planet Antares Combo machines. One of the machines is located and I am working to place the other two. I am currently doing this strictly as a side business but would some day like to take it full time. I also understand that the Planet Antares machines do not have the best reputation. However, they are relatively cheap and I have a very limited budget. However I would like the next machine I purchase to be higher quality.

That said, I would be interested in know what people would recommend with regard to combo machines. I've heard that companies like Wittern and SP make a good machine. Any others I'm not aware of? I am trying to buy used if at all possible.

Thanks for your time!

Jim

I started with 7 Genisis combos 10 years ago. They were easy to place but didn't hold enough product to make much money with. They seem like a good idea to start with but you'll find that any good account will need to have a separate drink and snack machine. I still have those combos and use them as fillers for large accounts. For example I will put them on the second floor of a hotel or in a teachers lounge as long as they aren't the primary machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived