Locating Strategies

AMD Snacks

Hello all. I have a sort of self directed question, but I'm sure other people might be able to benefit from some answer somehow. 

I recently got a job where I work normal people hours 9-5:30 and it's cutting into my locating time. I go out on weekends and I might start looking around 7am at a few locations a day on the way to work. My question is, is there something more I can be doing to prepare and make the most out of my time locating? Do you guys map out a place before you go? I sort of just drive around and stop at places that look like they have foot traffic (tattoo places, tire shops etc)

Also my wife doesn't work, she's a stay at home mom. She's down to locate, but swears (thou i'm working on it) that she can't physically place the machines because they're too heavy. So anyone know of a way to use a second person for locating besides locating? Can she be like a scout, checking out potential places, has anyone tried that? 

Also I may try and make a list and do calls on my way home since traffic is a beast out here. Though i'm not sure that wont ruin some potential locations for me.  Basically I started this topic to discuss more about locating strategies and ideas. Any (positive) feedback is much appreciated  ;D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I probably should have mentioned that earlier. I do only bulk. Candy and toys, singles, doubles, triples and I have some racks though not in location yet.

As an update (since I forgot about this post) I DO have my wife scouting out some places for me. My time to locate is extremely limited, so I have her at least knock some places off the "potential" list. Either no room, already have their own machine etc. 

Is it just me, or does it seem the locating section hardly gets any traffic? Locating is probably over half the work for me, seems like people would be talking about it more..

Locating is the majority of the work. She can scout out, but your best option is to have her go to restaurants and see who's equipment isn't being taken care of and just ask if they would like better service. You'll have to pay commission, but for restaurants, that's all it takes. You just have to look at it and decide what they're missing. Better service, product, better equipment (visual). 

• 1 month later...

Following this thread because I am about to start locating now that I am getting my machines today.

when I first started this topic, I envisioned a collective, active conversation about the day to day of locating. But I thought long and hard about it, and since there's no such thing as a vending coach lol, I think it's just too difficult to really help someone with their unique circumstances for locating, or their business in general. I figure there has to be more to it than just "keep trying and keep looking" but honestly that advice works for the most part. More than thoughts and ideas, action and endurance seem to be the main keys to surviving in this business.

Though that's not to say that i'm not always contiously brainstorming on ways to get ahead lol, welcome to the forum though.

In the locating section of the forum there is a myriad of styles and approaches to locating.

Thanks Rodney, that's what I meant to finish with, is that there is all sorts of info on locating in the forum, this thread isn't going to be super active. @flyboy

Archived