Baby Pacman Monitor

Hillbilly

I traded for an original Baby Pacman arcade machine. I used to play this while in college @ West Virginia Tech. 5 years after college I was in the area and stopped in to play it again and I still had the top 3 high scores. Don't really remember exactly but they were all over 3 million points. For those that are not familiar with this game, it has video on the top and a pinball game on the bottom. Production was 7000 units.

Almost 30 years have passed and this opportunity came up so i grabbed it. The cabinet is in rough shape but I think I can restore it. The coin mechanisms are missing as well as the monitor. Coin mechs should be no problem but scouring the infernet has left me clueless as what to do about the monitor. It is a 13" Wells Gardner monitor that originally came in it. Can anybody point me in the right direction as far as procuring a monitor?

This will be a personal project and not trying to put on the route. Just interested in making it operational for my use. I don't have a lot of electronics training but am going to give it a shot. I've already downloaded a manual and have all the schematics. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Performa or Mage: Feel free to move this to the Refurb section if that better suits you.

The guy on here that does the multicades should probably be able to help you. Think his name is Ron.

Yeah i will give him a call. He has monitor cap kits on his website. But no monitors listed. I may be able to go with a different monitor.

I had one of these before, worst of both worlds, 30 year old video came and pinball machine, its gonna be a huge pain getting and keeping it working, good luck

Baby Pacman never reliably even 30 years ago when it was new.

I worry you bought someone’s sad basted (collection of failed parts).

My fear is you will buy a monitor only to discover the power supply is bad. Once that gets fixed it becomes apparent the CPU board is also bad. You fix that to find the driver board is also bad. But I have been accused of being a pessimist.

As for a monitor I have had good luck with Gonbes converter boards connected to flat screen computer monitors. Pay a few dollars more do not buy the generic boards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-Gonbes-GBS8200-CGA-EGA-YUV-RGB-To-VGA-Arcade-Game-Video-Converter-P9M0-/121953932269?hash=item1c650553ed

Walta

Would you want to use a old computer from 1986? Would it be very reliable ? That's basically what old games are, old computers from the 1980's and pinballs can be a huge expense and pain to even a expert vendor

As I previously stated I bought this for the nolstagia. I do not intend to put on a route. I will tinker with it for a while and if I can not get it to start working I will do something else. I will also have some help in this project. My son was an electronic technician in the Air Force.

thanks for responses

• 2 months later...

If it is not to late,you can buy a converter board to go vga signal and install a small computor monitor. If you are wanting to do that i can probably get you info on where to purchase.

Thanks. I am not ready yet. I'll look you up when I am.

Archived