Freon leak at the tube // Fan motor replacement

gbox

So I was going to replace a compressor that has issues with the fan (fan isnt spinning, so I'm guessing the fan motor must be dead) with the one in the picture shown here. I already noticed that it had a major bend at one of the ends of the pipe. I tried to be as careful as I could while installing it, but the bend gave way and it formed a pretty good size leak. Really unfortunate and it soured my mood for the day. 

I'm just here to ask whether this compressor is salvageable or is it now a complete junk? Either way, Im planning on taking the fan motor shown in this picture and replacing it into the compressor with the dead one. Which leads me to my next question.

How do I wire the replacement motor? I briefly took off the cap to inspect what I'm dealing with the other day and it's definitely not plug and play. Maybe it's more simple than it looks?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. 

The attached photo has a red circle showing the location of the leak/bend. 

Both compressors are from a Dixie Narco machine (Embraco). 

leak.jpg

When you do the fan, make the wire connections one at a time.  There are probably three wires twisted together in each connection.  Untwist them and remove the old fan wire, then twist the new fan wire in with the other wires and cap the connection.  Repeat for the other connection.  It may be simple if you cut the bad fan's wires about 4 inches from the connection before you remove the old fan.  If the compressor that has the leak was working fine before the leak then it should work fine after you get the leak fixed by a refrigeration tech.

The leak is definitely fixable, you'll have to take it to a refrigeration guy, who will probably cut the line back on both sides then solder on a new elbow.  Easy for someone who knows what they're doing. 

The only other comment I would have on the fan, is that it may not be connected with wire nut connections.  From the factory, most of those decks come with the fan terminals screwed onto the relay terminals.  That way, it gets power only when the compressor comes on.  If it's been replaced before without using the OEM fan, it may be wired slightly differently.  It's not that hard, don't let the quantity of wires daunt you!  The hardest part of that job will be getting everything back under the relay cover when you're done, and getting the cover snapped back on.

About the leak/bend: The section where the bend/leak is located broke off overnight. So to repair it would require some cutting anyway.

About the compressor wiring: I may have messed up somewhere. **The picture shown is currently how I wired it**

The compressor with the damaged fan motor has a wiring setup like AZvendor mentioned. 3 cables twisted together with a wiring cap. The compressor with the leak has a wiring setup like Vendorstech mentioned (If I'm reading it correctly). It looks like just like the picture I uploaded. The working fan motor has those ring-type connectors. Same goes for the power cable. Then, the connectors for the fan and power cable is screwed into the terminals.

I figured I would just use the same setup. As you can see in the picture, the cable with the red sticker goes to the fan motor. The cable in green is the power cable. The yellow line is from the black box. edit - Forgot to mention that I did swap the black box from the leaking compressor to the compressor with the bad fan motor. Should I have not done that? The connectors are the same type. 

I go to plug it in and the plug immediately sparked and slightly melted. So, not sure where to go from here. I guess I can go back to the setup AZ mentioned? Cut off the ring connectors and do twist method.

https://imgur.com/a/SF5Yv

https://imgur.com/a/dE73b

Now you need to replace the power pigtail since you burned one spade so badly.  There was no need to open the relay box if the fan was wired in with wire nuts.  You now need to have it corrected by whoever does your refrigeration leak fix since you miswired the relay now.  Take both units to him and let him correct your mistake.

You really have to pay attention when re-wiring a compressor.  Everything needs to go back to where it came from; you can't move wires around, although moving the black box wasn't an issue as long as you wired it right again.  I would agree, you need to take it to someone who can physically look at it and get it straightened out.  Can't think of any reason for it to spark and melt, unless you have reversed polarity somewhere.  You may have blown your overload too if that is what happened. 

Archived