You guessed it, I'm new to vending =)

VAVending

Hey y'all!

I've been browsing the forums for the last couple weeks and let me first say, this place is a goldmine of information that should be frequented by anyone who does any manner of vending. You can't beat experience as a teaching tool, but the experience of others who have gone before you is a decent second.

As mentioned in the title of this post, I am new to vending. As in under two months into vending. I have yet to place my first machine, but I've been doing a lot of research on vending as a business. I first became interested due to the recommendation of a friend who picked up a Dr. Pepper/Snapple route for a song on craigslist. It's completely franchise, and every one of his 10 machines is placed in a Walmart. Since then I've come to realize he got a pretty good deal. He knew I was looking for something to supplement the work I do, so he said to contact my local bottlers and ask about underperforming routes and such.  I did, and quickly found out that things aren't quite as simple as they seem at first. It seems the Big 3 (Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper) are less interested in selling routes, and more interested in having people build routes for them. And their placement requirements are a tad steep (100+ employees, etc.)

I've made some good contacts with local businesses and local vending machine suppliers who are willing to sell off old machines. And my salesmanship skills have increased tremendously, commensurate with the number of "no" or "maybe we'll call you" that I've gotten. I don't have any money in the game yet, and I'm still floating around the idea of just going Bulk.

So that's me so far. If my intro brings any tips to mind, feel free to share them.

Looking forward to growing with y'all,

Benjamin

• 10 months later...

Back after a while of not logging in. Been busy, too busy to pursue vending I’m afraid. But I had a talk with my employer/father and have been given the green light to begin carving out vending time from my hectic farm managerial schedule. The goal is to eventually pass on my duties managing the farm to someone else and vend full time. It’s an odd situation, but I live an odd life so what else is new.

I’m dusting off the old machines and hitting the streets once more in search of locations, so look to see more of me on here in the future.

3 hours ago, Poplady1 said:

Thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out.

One of the reasons I’ve enjoyed this site is because of how much good info it has for beginners (albeit in a more difficult to browse format than a well laid out book.)

I’m always looking for a good vending book but haven’t yet come across one that is a wide enough slice of vending experience to warrent a purchase.

2 hours ago, VAVending said:

Thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out.

One of the reasons I’ve enjoyed this site is because of how much good info it has for beginners (albeit in a more difficult to browse format than a well laid out book.)

I’m always looking for a good vending book but haven’t yet come across one that is a wide enough slice of vending experience to warrent a purchase.

One of the members here put a book together. He sells it on Amazon and ebay. It's less than $5, but full of good info. Especially for someone starting out. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LM0M4TW?ref_=dbs_s_def_awm_dirs_l_0&storeType=ebooks

1 hour ago, QuikVend said:

One of the members here put a book together. He sells it on Amazon and ebay. It's less than $5, but full of good info. Especially for someone starting out. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LM0M4TW?ref_=dbs_s_def_awm_dirs_l_0&storeType=ebooks

That looks quite promising.  Dogcow’s review sold me pretty well there.  Definitely going on my buy list.  Thanks for the tip.

5 hours ago, VAVending said:

@QuikVend, do you know if he sells a hard copy anywhere? I got the kindle and am enjoying it but would love to have something to hold in my hands.

I dont think so. He's RJT here on the forum, so you can give him a quick message to find out though. 

17 hours ago, Kim Reid said:

I'm new to vending, day 1 and this is by far the best site I've come acrossed since I started my research, all the answers are here..

It really is a fantastic resource. One thing I learned is to always check the date on posts you read; the industry is constantly changing and you never know when info might be outdated or a previously recommended supplier might have gone out of business.

I definitely recommend the book linked by QuikVend up above, I’m half way through already and thouroughly enjoying it. Only thing I can’t endorse so far is a single paragraph talking about using a “white lie” to keep a location. Otherwise it’s great.

Welcome to the site!

7 hours ago, Kim Reid said:

thanks-"how to start a vending business by antoine Cameron" was also a great read

Just discovered vending-business-information.com, he presents some good info as well; especially if you’re looking into honor boxes.

Archived