Refrigeration issues

ABCVending

Fighting refer issues on a couple of machines:

DN 5591 - ice build up on the evap - clear block ice, not frost, looks about the size of a softball.  Cabinet won't drop below 48 degrees or so - had a tech come out put a bullet piercing valve on the low side, pressure was low, added gas, wouldn't hold pressure - 20 minute service call, not going to mess around plan to replace that deck on site - haven't done it before on a bottle drop, but have on a number of stackers.  Any tips on taking these apart?  I know the bottom two shelves have to come out and to be careful manipulating the evaporator out to avoid kinking the lines - anything else?

DN 2145 - this one is really pissing me off - pulled it off of a slow location because I got a new place that looks promising - took it to my shop to replace the bottom shelf (still had low gates and no pusher slides) - got that done and cleaned up, fired it up to make sure everything was good - was cooling great after a couple hours, cabinet around 38-40 compressor cycling like it should - next morning, entire evap covered with frost - to the point it was choking out the airflow and cabinet temp was up to 50 degrees.  Defrosted and fired back up, evap fan blowing hard, good air movement in cabinets - all seals look good, fresh plumbers putty on all through hulls - freaking thing frosted up again.  I only see the curly end thermostat, no defrost control (I think some of these had both) - I probably moved the t stat end messing around with the shelf it is back where it should be...2" from the evap, not touching metal.

This machine has been serviced before - there are two schrader valves - one on top of the compressor (suction line?) and one down by the fat bulb heading toward the condensor - is this the high side?  (sorry no pics - will try to get some tonight)  I have no intention of messing around with charging this thing, but kind of would like to know what the pressure is on the low side - have a set of yellow jacket AC manifold gauges that are pretty decent, was thinking I'd check pressure to at least see where I am at - just want to make sure I have the right fitting - have read on here that low side with compressor running should be around 18-20 - that sound right?

ABC

On the 5591, did the tech defrost the evaporator first?  If not then he won't get any proper readings and he wasted his time.  If he did then you have a large air leak, bad valves in the compressor, it's overcharged or it's undercharged or it has a large freon leak.

On the 2145, there is no point in putting a gauge on the low side, and you're correct that a properly charged system that all fans run on will be at 18-20 lbs on the low side when properly charged up.

Archived