Local Vending Permit(s) Required?

bulknoob

Just discovered that my local municipality has a permit requirement for all vending machines, seems like a one-size-fits-all sort of thing. The annual permit fee is $25 per machine, seemingly whether its a mainline soda/snack machine, or a little old gum-ball machine.

I'm curious whether any of you have run into similar permit requirements where you live? That would break down to $2 per month coming out of each machine's net revenue, on top of a $1 charity sticker fee, which feels like a lot. Any thoughts?

This topic has come up before and most of the time upon further research by the vendor bulk vending is actually not subject to local permit fees. I would investigate further (ask to see the ordinance in writing) just to make positively sure bulk vending is indeed included because that fee would deter me from placing anything in that municipality. I have personally run into situations where government employees are confused about permit issues and will give you incorrect information unknowingly. Sad thing if you were able to place 100 machines in that area that would be $2,500.00 off your bottom line right out of the gate. i would probably move on down the road.

We service 2 states that require permits on either bulk machines or amusement. It is annoying but what can you do. One machine escaped being tagged in a Chinese restaurant and someone saw it and told the owner it must be removed immediately. You would think there would be bigger and better things to enforce now a days. 

• 2 months later...

Here where I'm at, in Mississippi, you have this issue. You have to pay an annual fee I think $150 for the application, and then $15 per sticker, which goes on each machine. The upside is that a triple or carousel is only 1 sticker. IE why I run so many triples and carousels... The downside is... It sucks... LOL

I may be off on the prices, but if I find that I'm way off, I'll come back and correct this reply...

Archived