Location Co-Op

BluePlate

It seems like my Vending locators Bill of Rights was not taken too well.  How about this idea.  Starting a vending locators Co-Op. 

Say 6 vendors each throw in $100.  We hire a 40 hour a week telemarketer.  We pay the telemarketer $15 an hour. Set an expectation the telemarketer gets 30 locations in 40 hours.  Each vendor gets  5 locations.  If the telemarketer meets their goal, it will cost $20 per location.  No guarantees, take what you get. 

If the telemarketer misses their goal, they get a reduced pay per hour.  This would go as low as $9/hr.  The telemarketer meeting the goal would also mean more work.

We would need to work out the details.  There is risk, but anyone in?

I'm in as well Blue.

Since we operate in some of the same zip codes, we will need to make sure that the locator does not give us both the same locations.

Steve

Blue,

I've been lurking on this thread trying to gather my thoughts.

In general I think this is a good idea. Interestingly enough, my brother does telemarketing and I tried to get him to throw me a couple of guys to do this very thing. For reasons that don't have anything to do with the feasibility of the idea we never could get it off the ground.

That being said, a few comments...

1) Some area will be easier to locate than other areas. If the TM finds 30 locations (the min expectation you set), how will they be spread out? Also, is it fair to penalize since it is easier to get some areas than others?

2) Ditto with different types of machines.

3) I understand "take what you get", but sometimes this won't work. For example, it might be a location you already have a machine in, or the owner might not take the machine, etc. How will this work?

4) There is also an expense associated with getting a list of businesses to call. Who would pay for this?

5) If everyone kicks in $100, but only 5 of the 6 get locations, what happens to the 6th? Are they SOL?

I have some other thoughts too, but don't want to sound like I'm bashing the idea. I actually like it and would love to see a way to make it work.

Kevin

I have posted some ads on Craigslist, I have post some help wanted ads in other places telemarketer hang out.   I contacted some telemarketers who have done work in the past for me.  My response has been a little cold.  The people who did respond, either I did not like them, or they did not like the project.

I'm not giving up, but I don't see making my time frame.  I agree there are some variables that could unbalance things.  This will not work unless a top notch TM signs on.  I think then we need to do a pilot program.  That may mean $20 each for the pilot program. 

If you are willing to find a way to do it in Canada i am in for sure.

I think another problem is that if a telemarketer is going to sign on, he is going to want work for more than just one or two weeks. 

I also think it may be a better idea to promote rewards for getting sales rather than penalties for not selling enough.

As for contacts, when i did a bit of charity telemarketing in highschool we used the phone book!  now we were calling residences, but it would be fairly eais to pick 5 types of locations you want, say, salons, pizza shops, restaurants,  car lube's and laundry mats.  Look them up in the yellow pages, tear out the whole section and say here start with this.  I realise when you buy sales leads you often get managers names, but this could be a start.

IF you wanted to take it to another level we could co-ordinate through you and i could buy say 10 hours at  $15 per hour, and extra say $10 bonus per location.  If my area sucks to locate in then i am the only one loosing money.  and $25 per location sounds ok to me!  I hope that made sence, sometimes i type faster than i think.

Ok I had time to eat and scrap the goo off the walls of my mini-reef. I think another problem will just be volume of locations we will have to place to employ one person full time. if they are good they will want atleast $250 a day in salary and bonuses. If we want to pay $25 per location do we have the machines to put up 10 locations per day, 40 per week?

Right now it seems like a good idea, split between 4 people 10 machines a week each, wow my machine count would sky rocket! could my bank account keep up? are there enough used machines to buy! and how many machines do we actually want to service.