Thought it was the relay...

JRalbot

So here is what happened.

I bought a vending machine to use as a beer fridge. It was already set up as with the free vend button.  I was having some fun tinkering with the machine and learning how it worked. It was a older vendo machine. To make the switch someone had cut the plug off a bad coin mechanism and connected the wires to the switch.

I later bought a dixie narco machine, This Machine had a bad coin mechanism, but I was able to test it by unplugging the free vend button from the vendo and simply plugging it in to the Dixie Narco machine.  This worked vine. So I decided to cut the plug of the bad coin mechanism that came in the Dixie Narco and make a second switch. I assumed that since the plug worked in both that I could just match the plug/switch  by connecting the same color wires. This did not work. When I connected the wires there they sparked, the lights went out on the machine. when I disconnected the wires the lights came back on, but I it will not vend.  

The relay would click when the button was pushed but just clicks back when you let the button go, I thought I had blown some thing in the relay but after buying a new relay it just does the same thing. 

The lights still work and the compressor still comes on, but can't get it to vend.

Any Ideas?

Sounds like you blew out the vend relay (cube plugged in next to where the changer plugs in). Each of those changers are wired a little different. You have to trace the wiring when you are making a free vend relay. There are plans online that show you how. 

10 hours ago, savend said:

Sounds like you blew out the vend relay (cube plugged in next to where the changer plugs in). Each of those changers are wired a little different. You have to trace the wiring when you are making a free vend relay. There are plans online that show you how. 

I thought I was the relay, but I put a new relay in and the same thing is happening when I make the connection the relay clicks, when I disconnect it clicks back. and does not allow a vend. I tinkered with it some more and now, the relay does the same thing, but if i leave the connection it will let me vend, but i have to leave the connection and hold the button down. I can't just push the selection ones and have the vend motor make a full cycle it just stops moving when I let the button go.

gotcha, so do I understand you correctly that when you plug in that relay & the working free vend relay switch that it will not vend anything?  Have you tested all the motor switches manually by pushing each switch down so that the motor will run?  Do you have product in the machine?  It won't vend until the sold out flap is held down.  

So when I first used it, it all worked fine. I hit the free vend button, what I called the relay would click, stay up, and click back after I hit a selection.

Then after I had a issue I hit the vend button the relay clicks up and back before I hit any vend option. and wont vend. Even when  I held the vend button to keep the relay up, it would not vend.

Now If i make I connection for the free vend and leave the connection  I can make a selection and the vend motor moves, but only as i am holding the button.

If i let the button go the vend motor will stop, or I can hold it down and just keep vending.

If you have replaced the relay with a known working relay (the clear cube you send me a picture of) & you are using the original free vend switch from the other machine & it's still doing that I'm out of ideas.  I do know that just because the plug off the changer looks the same, it does not mean the wire colors are the same.  It varies from company to company.  I say that to say if you are trying to use the relay you made that shorted, I would not use it until you trace the wires out.  I bet someone else has a good idea for you otherwise.  

7 hours ago, savend said:

If you have replaced the relay with a known working relay (the clear cube you send me a picture of) & you are using the original free vend switch from the other machine & it's still doing that I'm out of ideas.  I do know that just because the plug off the changer looks the same, it does not mean the wire colors are the same.  It varies from company to company.  I say that to say if you are trying to use the relay you made that shorted, I would not use it until you trace the wires out.  I bet someone else has a good idea for you otherwise.  

I have studied the wiring diagram and done my best to narrow down that I crossed something to do with the sold out lights. I have noticed also that when I hold down the button for free vend (keeping the relay "clicked" ) that some of the lights for sold out lights  come on, but are only on when the button is being held. IS that some kind of signal?

The sold out light should come on when the button is pressed to indicate that column is vending.  Have you made a separate free vend switch or did you turn one of the buttons into a free vend switch?  The free vend switches that I have made only require you to press the switch one, not hold it down, it sets up a credit like a coin would.  The relay then holds the credit until it is canceled by the switch on the motor as it rotates after a selection.  I've seen sold out switches do funny things if they aren't working properly, there are two screws above the motors that hold the cover for the sold out switches on.  you may check them.  If you have a working one you can swap & test until you find the one not working, though I would think it would be the one not lighting up when you push it.  

6 hours ago, JRalbot said:

I hold down the button for free vend (keeping the relay "clicked" ) that some of the lights for sold out lights  come on, but are only on when the button is being held. IS that some kind of signal?

Are you saying that all the sold out lights come on when you press the free vend button or a sold out light comes on when you press the selection button? 

a few of the options are sold out, but the sold out light only comes on when I am pushing the button for the free vend.

except one sold out light that is always showing sold out. and this is the only one that was sold out when I initially blew what ever blew out.

which is another reason I think  i blue something associated with the sold out wires... The only one working 100% correctly was the one for the column that the sold out lever was not pushed when the electrical issue happened,

The issue that is happening is that the relay is not holding a credit properly. The vend switch i am using is a single push button. I used to push it and the credit relay would hold the charge until a selection was made. now it does not store the credit. right after the "free vend" button is let go the relay clicks back.

If i leave the free vend button pushed I can get the vend motors to move, but only but holding down the selection button. the motor doesn't rotate enough to vend it just continues to spin and stops right after I let the selection go.

If you know it was a correct and NEW relay you put in then while you hold the free vend switch down does anything auto vend?  If so then that select switch or motor switch is bad.  Make sure all wires are in the relay and coin mech sockets securely.  One loose wire will mess it up.  Otherwise you probably just have an open in the credit hold circuit.  Download this manual and read through it to understand the machine and troubleshoot it:  www.dsvendinginc.com/images/pdf-manuals/dn4.pdf

i have not been able to find the model, it almost seems like the side plate is missing, I was looking at more videos that show you how to do a free vend. In some of them they show how to hook up a jumper that will leave your correct change light on, when I do that the correct change light does not come on.  in the wiring diagram some of the wires I crossed sends power to the correct change light. I thing that is going to lead me to the shorted wire.

No one wants to see your wiring diagram.  You need to post a photo of your motors so we can see what the heck you have.  There are a variety of Vendo models.  If you re-read your original post you'll see that you made it sound like you were working an the DN that you bought.  At least tell us what colors the motor cams are.  Black, white on narrow colums and green on wide, metal cams, etc.  Vendo also put a paper label on the lower part of the inner door or on the left or right lower sides of the inner cabinet.

I found the model, it is a quick vend 345. after looking at the manual i found it suggest to look at the motor carrier switches.  Multiple of them seem damaged, meaning the little white button is not springing back out.  It seems very possible that this is causing the problem, but is there a way fir me to check before i buy a bunch of new switches (i probably need 5-10.

That is a piece of crap lowering shelf machine.  It worked well when new but it's now 32 years old and of no value and very difficult to get parts for.  The issue is that the wide column vend mechanisms wear out and can no longer be adjusted to work properly.  You need to replace all of the motor switches - do you really want to go that far?  It might still not work.

not really, it only cost me 110.00, if it will cost me about that to buy all new switches, and like you said it may still not work... I just kinda dig the older look. so i was hoping to get it working, thought if i could figure a way to test the machine by maybe running jumpers to make a connection before i spend money on switches.

Archived