Why is my DN 5591 Compressor Turning Off At 50 Degrees?

Drcpwen

My Dixie Narco 5591 compressor is turning off when it hits about 50 degrees even though the thermostat is turned to its coldest setting. It doesn't seem to matter where the setting is at the compressor continues to turn off right around 50 degrees. Is that my thermostat "knob"?

Screenshot_20190907-160315_Gallery.jpg

First off, turn the thermostat ccw until it stops to note where zero is, then set it at 3 1/2 and leave it there.  Second, you may have a bad fan on the compressor or only one of the two fans is running.  This will cause short cycling of the compressor.  Third, check for placement of the thermostat cap tube at the evaporator.  If it's a coiled cap tube end then it needs to be held by a plastic holder that clips into the evaporator.  If it just has a folded end then it has to be pushed into the evaporator.  Fourth, make sure the machine is not pushed against the wall preventing condenser air flow.  Fifth, you might have a frozen evaporator caused by low freon.  Last, it could be a bad thermostat.

I set the thermostat to 3.5 and both fans are blowing well.  The machine is currently in the middle of my garage so no issues with being too close to the wall.  As far as the thermostat cap I'm confused.  Can you give me any direction based on these pictures.   Thanks for all the help.

Screenshot_20190908-105128_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190908-105125_Gallery.jpg

The coiled capillary tube is in the plastic clip that is in your last photo.  That plastic clip  has to be pushed into the evaporator that is in the far right back corner shown in the photo.  The clip snaps in between two horizontal evaportator tubes.  The sensor being out in the open and no where near the evaporator is your problem.

• 2 years later...

So ive got the same issue. Only difference is my machines doesn't have the mechanical Thermostat, only an electronic one. Compressor runs to about 50 and cycles off. Condenser fan and evap fan running fine. No ice at all on evaporator. There is 120 volts of power running to compressor plug. Normally I'd assume it was a bad compressor, but if thats the case shouldnt the Condenser fan keep running?

Yes, if the compressor overheats and turns off then the condenser fan will still run if the thermostat isn't satisfied.  You say you have an electronic thermostat but it still has a probe in the cabinet or stuck into the evaporator, so check that. If the thermostat you refer to is not factory, then just get a factory thermostat. Some people replace the factory one with aftermarket that can be difficult to adjust due to several settings on them.