GPS Tracking to Prevent theft?

bbar97

Hey guys, so I've found a few posts on here about this but I couldn't find any recent ones that answer my specific questions. 

Is anyone currently using GPS trackers to prevent theft of your machines? I'm looking into some right now and I found this one that seems too good to be true. 

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Small-Size-and-Low-Price-Anti_60447026892.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.96.cb2a1d94qNsiLY

If I understand the description correctly the battery lasts 240 days, and it sends alerts to your phone if its moved or runs low on battery. This would be perfect for theft prevention if I'm not missing something.

I don't see anything about this in the description, but it says it uses a SIM card so does that mean I would have to pay a monthly fee for the "cellular" service? 

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

2 hours ago, bbar97 said:

Hey guys, so I've found a few posts on here about this but I couldn't find any recent ones that answer my specific questions. 

Is anyone currently using GPS trackers to prevent theft of your machines? I'm looking into some right now and I found this one that seems too good to be true. 

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Small-Size-and-Low-Price-Anti_60447026892.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.96.cb2a1d94qNsiLY

If I understand the description correctly the battery lasts 240 days, and it sends alerts to your phone if its moved or runs low on battery. This would be perfect for theft prevention if I'm not missing something.

I don't see anything about this in the description, but it says it uses a SIM card so does that mean I would have to pay a monthly fee for the "cellular" service? 

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Most long range GPS trackers need a cell signal.

For that reason alone, it just isn’t worth doing. For the 5 bucks a month I could literally just buy another machine every year.

Plus most equipment stolen is smashed for the cash right after its stolen. So great, you get to recover a bunch of parts.

The only machines I would consider GPS tracking are large change machines and ATMs.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 5:33 PM, orsd said:

Most long range GPS trackers need a cell signal.

For that reason alone, it just isn’t worth doing. For the 5 bucks a month I could literally just buy another machine every year.

Plus most equipment stolen is smashed for the cash right after its stolen. So great, you get to recover a bunch of parts.

The only machines I would consider GPS tracking are large change machines and ATMs.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info!