gumball machine outside in cold weather...

jay22

recipe for disaster right? i have a popular ice cream shop that’s opening today, and they suggested putting it outside to get more use. super nice family business that doesn’t even make me pay commission. i understand outside equals theft risk(though it is a heavy 2 head), but that’s not my main concern. as tempting as it is, temps below 50’s(daily right now around here) turn them into rocks. of course, they’re fine if you don’t bite down for 25-30 seconds but what percentage of people have the sense to do that? i’m guessing i should tell them to hold off until april on that idea? broken tooth is my worst fear.

Edited by jay22

36 minutes ago, jay22 said:

recipe for disaster right? i have a popular ice cream shop that’s opening today, and they suggested putting it outside to get more use. super nice family business that doesn’t even make me pay commission. i understand outside equals theft risk(though it is a heavy 2 head), but that’s not my main concern. as tempting as it is, temps below 50’s(daily right now around here) turn them into rocks. of course, they’re fine if you don’t bite down for 25-30 seconds but what percentage of people have the sense to do that? i’m guessing i should tell them to hold off until april on that idea? broken tooth is my worst fear.

I would ask them to leave the machine inside and explain that being out in the elements will degrade the gumballs which is a true statement. Constant fluctuations in temperature and humidity will make the shells crack and get harder in short order. During the summer gumballs can actually melt especially if the sun shines directly on them. Theft. as you pointed out, is always a concern, especially when a kid closes the store at night and forgets to bring the machine inside. Bottom line..... ask them to keep the machine indoors.

On 2/28/2021 at 12:05 PM, gumball guy said:

I would ask them to leave the machine inside and explain that being out in the elements will degrade the gumballs which is a true statement. Constant fluctuations in temperature and humidity will make the shells crack and get harder in short order. During the summer gumballs can actually melt especially if the sun shines directly on them. Theft. as you pointed out, is always a concern, especially when a kid closes the store at night and forgets to bring the machine inside. Bottom line..... ask them to keep the machine indoors.

normally i wouldn’t even entertain it, but with the way things are right now, i kind’ve want to risk it, as i think having it out there could do really big numbers, like biggest i’ve ever had. as i’m sure you know, big numbers are hard to get anywhere right now.  even if it got stolen in 2 months, it’dmore then pay itself off. i thought the melting point for gumballs is over 200 degrees?

44 minutes ago, jay22 said:

normally i wouldn’t even entertain it, but with the way things are right now, i kind’ve want to risk it, as i think having it out there could do really big numbers, like biggest i’ve ever had. as i’m sure you know, big numbers are hard to get anywhere right now.  even if it got stolen in 2 months, it’dmore then pay itself off. i thought the melting point for gumballs is over 200 degrees?

It's all about risk and reward I guess. If you feel that the numbers will be so strong that it offsets the cost of the machine or product then I wouldn't disagree trying it. I have no idea what the actual melting point of Dubble Bubble gumballs are. They are durable but over the years I have had three occasions where they melted on location to the point it gobbed up the wheel. It was upper 90s with high humidity (Midwest). Either way good luck with it and keep us informed on your results with that location!   

On 3/1/2021 at 9:52 PM, gumball guy said:

It's all about risk and reward I guess. If you feel that the numbers will be so strong that it offsets the cost of the machine or product then I wouldn't disagree trying it. I have no idea what the actual melting point of Dubble Bubble gumballs are. They are durable but over the years I have had three occasions where they melted on location to the point it gobbed up the wheel. It was upper 90s with high humidity (Midwest). Either way good luck with it and keep us informed on your results with that location!   

i really think it’s worth it in this case. even if i only keep it there for awhile, it will get established there. so when i eventually bring it back inside(im sure it won’t survive out there forever) the customers will ask the workers where it is, and then they’ll always know that they can come inside to get a gumball/bouncy ball. as it stands now, the machine makes about $18 a month inside but hardly anyone goes in. outside i think it could empty every month.

Normally I would say NO, but the way things are right now, I would probably take the chance and put a machine anywhere. If it gets stolen, it gets stolen! The market on used machines is just as bad as the bulk business itself right now

On 3/5/2021 at 11:15 AM, SSVEND said:

Normally I would say NO, but the way things are right now, I would probably take the chance and put a machine anywhere. If it gets stolen, it gets stolen! The market on used machines is just as bad as the bulk business itself right now

lol that's exactly my thinking.  now is the time to take a chance.  it wouldn't take much right now for it to instantly become my best location.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jay22 said:

lol that's exactly my thinking.  now is the time to take a chance.  it wouldn't take much right now for it to instantly become my best location.

Honestly, You can't even give bulk machines away right now.