Weird Flat Vending Question from a Librarian...

BookGuy

Hello everyone!  I'm a school librarian... but I'm looking into getting some sort of vending machine for one specific purpose -- I want to install a token-based "bookmark dispenser."  I'm having difficulties figuring out how/what/why for this, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I've noticed that new (and used) sticker machines aren't that expensive, but SIZE appears to be a problem.  Most bookmarks are between 2"x6" and 2"x8"... which is too long for sticker machines, as far as I can tell.

Are there sticker vending machines that can handle longer sheets?  Do all sticker venders need the chipboard envelopes for flat pack?  (Is there perhaps a BETTER idea for vending bookmarks -- it looks like a 3 column shelf-drop might work, but those are out of my price range.)

Sorry if this is a bit odd -- this seems like one of the best sources of information on the internet for vending machine discussions, and I thought you folks might be able to help me!

4 hours ago, BookGuy said:

Hello everyone!  I'm a school librarian... but I'm looking into getting some sort of vending machine for one specific purpose -- I want to install a token-based "bookmark dispenser."  I'm having difficulties figuring out how/what/why for this, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I've noticed that new (and used) sticker machines aren't that expensive, but SIZE appears to be a problem.  Most bookmarks are between 2"x6" and 2"x8"... which is too long for sticker machines, as far as I can tell.

Are there sticker vending machines that can handle longer sheets?  Do all sticker venders need the chipboard envelopes for flat pack?  (Is there perhaps a BETTER idea for vending bookmarks -- it looks like a 3 column shelf-drop might work, but those are out of my price range.)

Sorry if this is a bit odd -- this seems like one of the best sources of information on the internet for vending machine discussions, and I thought you folks might be able to help me!

Years ago there was at least one sticker machine on the market that would vend longer stickers (like 3.25" x 7" compared to the traditional 3" x 4.5") but I can't remember a manufacturer name so maybe some one else here can. I haven't seen one in years so I'm guessing it wouldn't be an easy find.

Simply....if you can't fold the bookmarks to fit into the chipboard folder this delivery system probably won't work for you. Vending without the folder will undoubtedly lead to a jam or damaged product even if the bookmark is somewhat rigid. Because of the 2 inch width it will be bendable and if the book mark catches on the way out it could bow up and jam. A couple other things to think about:

Most bulk coin mechanisms are designed for quarters so using tokens may present a challenge for you.   

Sticker machines are loud in operation and could be a distraction.

Not sure how old the students are but some smaller children may struggle a bit to use the slide coin mechanism.

Is an honor box completely out of the question?

Putting the special bookmarks out isn't really going to work because nothing limits how quickly they vanish -- and part of the goal here that it's just more FUN for the kids to have the vending aspect.  The noise aspect isn't a big deal as we're looking at just a few uses per day.

Not that I have this level of skill, but if you took an existing mech for a sticker machine and "expanded" the storage bays, would it still operate?  The inner workings photos I've seen make it look as though it might be possible to load a card with a bookmark that sticks out beyond the back of the load chamber, as long as it isn't too wide.

I know there were more mechanical "countertop" snack vending machines in the past -- a countertop version of one of those might work too, but I assume then this becomes a matter of checking local thrift stores / swap meets / etc. to see if I get lucky.

4 hours ago, BookGuy said:

Putting the special bookmarks out isn't really going to work because nothing limits how quickly they vanish -- and part of the goal here that it's just more FUN for the kids to have the vending aspect.  The noise aspect isn't a big deal as we're looking at just a few uses per day.

Not that I have this level of skill, but if you took an existing mech for a sticker machine and "expanded" the storage bays, would it still operate?  The inner workings photos I've seen make it look as though it might be possible to load a card with a bookmark that sticks out beyond the back of the load chamber, as long as it isn't too wide.

I know there were more mechanical "countertop" snack vending machines in the past -- a countertop version of one of those might work too, but I assume then this becomes a matter of checking local thrift stores / swap meets / etc. to see if I get lucky.

Trying to alter the machine in the way you propose to will be a chore and would take a fair amount of fabrication. Expanding the column depth-wise is a challenge because the coin mechanism won't be able to extend deeper into the machine than it already does. You would need to address that issue and then figure out a way to extend the floor of the column so the product slider will extend further back to catch the end of the book mark and pull it out. Finally, if you were successful elongating the columns you wouldn't be able to close the back of the machine or if it is a front load/tip out you wouldn't be able to get the machine back into place. Bottom line....a lot of time and work and it still may not work. I like the idea of the mechanical table top snack machine. That would give you the flexibility to vend other supplies if you wanted to. Just make sure whatever you get has the clearance you need for the book mark. Keep an eye on Craigslist, Facebook Market Place, Nextdoor .com, and eBay. There are some right now on eBay but they are brand new and cost like $375.00. Either way you go good luck!!!

Any snack machine will be limited by it's spirals that aren't designed to vend thin paper and the height limited by the shelf above.  You can eliminate the shelf above but the spiral will be the biggest hurdle.