Picked up new soda machine. Questions for newbie

I picked up a new machine for my garage.
it works but doesn't cool well.   compressor works runs turns off but the coils never get really cold. 
I don't know much about  refrigeration units like this.   Usually in a car there is a low pressure switch and wont run if low on Freon.  in a home low Freon will freeze up the coils.    This unit doesn't get cold enough to freeze.  the thermostat works in the effect it does change when the compressor turns off.   
I was going to move the thermostat away and see if it ran longer to maybe get colder.  

not sure where to start

I don't know what model it is or which parts fit    coin slot says rock-ola 
below is a video from the person i bought it from   

This is not a car a/c system so they don't compare except in operating principals. It sounds like the compressor is short-cycling. If the condenser fan at the compressor isn't running, runs slow, or if the machine has a clogged condenser or if the machine is up against the wall it will short-cycle. If all of that us okay you might have a wrong thermostat or it's installed wrong or the compressor is bad. Post a pic of the thermostat and where the capillary tube ends at.

I plugged the compressor power cord direct to the outlet to test.
the compressor kicked off after 3-4 minutes.  t-stat was on coldest
can you bypass the thermostat?  
The tubes run around the back of the back of the cooling portion and then back down into the lower deck.
I assume the only way to see the back is to take the whole backing off?
I can if you need me to

IMG_20220313_163553446.thumb.jpg.432be46bf478fdc3cf120746a9b0c8fc.jpgIMG_20220313_163547923.thumb.jpg.90af3861fb96a1332bf16ac9b95fa64b.jpgIMG_20220313_163640001.thumb.jpg.5eaf101b076d0d4ea7205046408454ee.jpg

1 hour ago, AZVendor said:

Plugging the cooling unit into the wall bypasses the thermostat. You have a bad compressor. 

do you know what type of unit I have?  I know its hard to see i can take pics of the compressor
How is the compressor bad? (i'm not questioning you, i'm curious)  I would figure the compressor would not run
is it getting hot then shutting off in your opinion?  It seems to start making things cold.

@tblake He plugged it straight into the wall and it did the same thing so the thermostat isn't causing the issue, but it could still be bad as well.

@codeyell0  Did you check for air flow through the condenser as I mentioned? Even if the unit starts, there could be high resistance in the internal windings or the rotor in the bell housing could be off of one of the three supporting springs.  These issues will cause it to short cycle. The compressor can be replaced with a new one by a certified professional tech using a 134a version.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AZVendor said:

@tblake He plugged it straight into the wall and it did the same thing so the thermostat isn't causing the issue, but it could still be bad as well.

@codeyell0  Did you check for air flow through the condenser as I mentioned? Even if the unit starts, there could be high resistance in the internal windings or the rotor in the bell housing could be off of one of the three supporting springs.  These issues will cause it to short cycle. The compressor can be replaced with a new one by a certified professional tech using a 134a version.

Does the fan for the condenser run all the time?  I noticed when I plugged in the compressor it was not running.

No, the condenser fan runs only when the thermostat calls for the compressor to run and they both run together.  The evaporator fan in the cabinet runs all the time.  As I mentioned before, if the condenser fan doesn't run that will cause the compressor to short cycle from overheating.  I told you this 2 or 3 times now.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:03 PM, AZVendor said:

No, the condenser fan runs only when the thermostat calls for the compressor to run and they both run together.  The evaporator fan in the cabinet runs all the time.  As I mentioned before, if the condenser fan doesn't run that will cause the compressor to short cycle from overheating.  I told you this 2 or 3 times now.

I found the condenser fan had a broken wire and not working.  
I fixed this and the fan works fine.  Tested again and the compressor still turns off after about 3 minutes.  
The fan shuts off as well this is when the compressor plug is direct to power
the compressor will not run again for maybe 10 minutes.    i touch the compressor and nothing is hot or really even warm.  

What controls the compressor at this point?  the 3n1?  
how does it shut down from a change in load or voltage?

It might be wired incorrectly and the overload on the compressor is tripping though if there is a 3 in 1 hard start kit on the compressor that is supposed to replace the start relay, capacitor and overload.  If it's just the 3 in 1 that is running it then the fan is probably wired through the hard start which then turns off when the hard start trips.  The fact that it has a hard start kit on it indicates that someone had tried to extend the life of the compressor.  You now need to replace the compressor before you end up with a burnout which will contaminate the whole system.

Edited by AZVendor