SCHEDULED SITE DOWNTIME

caserri

I just wanted to let everyone know that the forums will be down for the better part of this weekend. (May 30-31)

I will be installing, tweaking, testing, then launching new software for our community. Due to the complexity of this, I anticipate the forums being down most of the weekend as I get this done.

We will have an entirely new look starting June 1, 2009.

A little about what we are doing, why we are doing it and what you can expect...

It seems that the author/ technical support provider of the software we are using now for the forum has thrown in the towel. I received an email from her a couple months back stating that she will no longer be offering updates or patches, and technical support will no longer be available. :shock:

This news didn't sit well with me. I felt like we were suddenly left on a deserted island. I immediately started to contemplate the future of VENDiscuss. With no future updates, how can I improve the functionality of the forum? With no tech support, how would I handle a virus threat, hack attempt, or bug? Granted, I know a little about some minor issues that may arise but I wanted the security of a real tech support community if the sh** really hit the fan..

I weighed my options and looked at the four major forum software providers. 2 of them would require us to start our community from scratch because they currently have no way to convert our existing database to be compatible with their software. One wanted a small fortune to do it. The fourth provider had an existing database converter available. I tested the converter last weekend with great success. It was able to pull and convert our entire database.

What I need from you...

The new software will recognize your login info but it will not transfer your avatars or PM's. If you would like to keep your current avatar, please save it to your computer before Friday so you can upload it into your new account. Also, If there is any information you need in your PM inbox, please take the appropriate steps to save that info.

If I notice any other issues prior to Friday, I will update you in this thread.

The new software will give us a ton of new features and toys. It will take some time to get used to but in the end it will make for a better, and longer lasting community. I'm sure there are several of you here who will be familiar with the new interface as it is currently being used by many of the internet's best forums.

If you have any questions or concerns, please post them here.

Steve

Steve,

How would we go about saving our pms? I've got alot of email addresses and phone numbers, etc. in my pms and hate to lose them. Also don't want to got through a couple thousand pm's trying to find the info I want to save. Is there a way to save all of our pm's?

Not concerned with the avatar - just pm's.

nam

I add people to my cell phone as I receive their RL contact info. If anything ever happened to the forum, I would not want to be cut off from the people I've met here. I'm glad there was an acceptable provider.

Thank you for the heads up steve.

Steve,

I've just got on and checking it out.  So far I like it!  Very Cool!  You did good buddy.  Love to say more but I gotta go play in the new forum now.  :)

Wow that was quick! Good job.

One problem I've spotted is pics that were uploaded in the tools section are now gone. These makes sense now as we were warned to save our avatars, but I didn't think of grabbing any pics I may need in the future from that section ahead of time.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if all the tools are gone, but I haven't checked yet.

Scott

EDIT: Some are gone while others aren't. I guess the way they were attached decided this.

And the site looks great, by the way!

Wow that was quick! Good job.

One problem I've spotted is pics that were uploaded in the tools section are now gone. These makes sense now as we were warned to save our avatars, but I didn't think of grabbing any pics I may need in the future from that section ahead of time.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if all the tools are gone, but I haven't checked yet.

Scott

EDIT: Some are gone while others aren't. I guess the way they were attached decided this.

And the site looks great, by the way!

Thanks for the heads up. I will add that to my list.

Steve

A note for those that use animated avatars. The new board has a smaller setting that will kill the animation if your avatar is over 65 pixels wide. If you need help resizing your older avatar so it will work here just PM me (my wife loves playing with graphics and has offered to help with this.)

Scott

I also noticed the time stamp is off by 1 hour. I did not see where we could adjust that, maybe I overlooked it. Other then that it looks good from what I have seen but I expected it to rock anyway.

I just noticed that there is not a "reply" button on each post. Only at the top and bottom of each thread. Would anyone like to see a "reply" button on each post?

Steve

I also noticed the time stamp is off by 1 hour. I did not see where we could adjust that, maybe I overlooked it. Other then that it looks good from what I have seen but I expected it to rock anyway.

Beer,

Go to "Profile" then to "Look and Layout" you will see an option for time offset. Click on "Auto Detect" and it will update your time.

Steve

I just noticed that there is not a "reply" button on each post. Only at the top and bottom of each thread. Would anyone like to see a "reply" button on each post?

Steve

I got used to using quick reply on the old board and enabled it here as well. Each post here has the Quote link at least, so that works for me.

To enable Quick Reply, go to "Profile" then to "Look and Layout" and adjust the next to last setting.

Scott

Well, the Quarter Weight Chart is gone, and the scans in the Bulk Candy Labels thread (at least on the last page) are gone as well. I think that's all I've found.

Scott

Thanks Scott. WOW, I have a lot to do in the label thread.  :o

As for the quarter chart, that was an attachment added by blueplate. I don't have a copy of it so maybe he can reattach or send me a copy.

Steve

I’m sure I just didn’t see this, but where is the tab that lets you see all the recent posts?

Click on "Recent Unread Topics" from the menu in the upper left corner.

Steve

Wow!  What an amazing improvement in the website.  There are indeed many numerous gizmos and gadgets on this site that will take some getting used to, but isnt that how change works?  :)

Thanks Joe!

Please take a few moments to go through every option in your profile. It will make your browsing experience much more enjoyable one you have it configured how you like it.

Steve

Plus there are many more options that Steve can get. We could add theme packs and change the way it looks. There are all sorts of smiley packs, avatars, chat boxes, bookmark topics, etc. Man I would be spending so much time tweaking the board I would get nothing done.