Locators (Reliability, Pricing and Quality of Placement)

JustStarted2

Hi guys,

I"m new to vending and of course I did my share of research. I read many posts on this site, and I still don't have a clear feeling for who's (currently) reputable and reliable and/or delivers quality locations at a fair price.

I know that the general consensus is that the best locator is the business owner, but my skills aren't up there, so if the price and the outcome are right, why reinvent the wheel?

I already tried my hand at approaching businesses with no success and I'm realistic enough to know that - in my case - it's better left to the 'pros', just like my car's electronics!

So do any of you have any advice (other than DYI) and names of reputable locators that you have used - or are currently using - that do Snack, Drink, Combo or even Bulk machines? And also what they charge...

Thank you,

PS: I'm in Florida , Tampa Bay area if that matters.

I get asked all the time about vending.  The main thing I tell any aspiring vending operator is if you cannot walk in to a business and start talking to people then you are wanting to get in the wrong business.  You walked into what, 3 places and got no’s?  Keep trying.  And on top of that, just because you got a no doesn’t mean it’s over.  You ask who the decision maker is, get a card or email or whatever and every so often reach out to them.  You’ll have to develop a marketing plan and keep making contacts.  Another thing is you don’t have anything to offer that someone else isn’t already offering.  Instead of paying a locator offer your potential locations gift cards or even cash.   Then on top of that, ask to see the vending machines.  Take notes of types of equipment that is there and get contact information of whoever owns the equipment.  You never know they might sale to you.  
As far as locators go, I bet you won’t get a response as to who is a good locator.  I hope I’m wrong but go through all of these posts and see when the last time someone posted about locators and see when the last time they logged in to the forum.  Doesn’t mean anything really but I can almost guarantee you most people won’t make it in this business because they are over paying for a locator to get locations with 10-15 people.  You’ll never make it.   You don’t have to start a vending business today.  You don’t.  I would advise you to get a job that offers some type of sales and marketing training.   You can read books or buy courses that can help.  I wanna see you make it but you gotta tough road ahead of you if you can’t locate on your own.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JustStarted2 said:

Hi guys,

I"m new to vending and of course I did my share of research. I read many posts on this site, and I still don't have a clear feeling for who's (currently) reputable and reliable and/or delivers quality locations at a fair price.

I know that the general consensus is that the best locator is the business owner, but my skills aren't up there, so if the price and the outcome are right, why reinvent the wheel?

I already tried my hand at approaching businesses with no success and I'm realistic enough to know that - in my case - it's better left to the 'pros', just like my car's electronics!

So do any of you have any advice (other than DYI) and names of reputable locators that you have used - or are currently using - that do Snack, Drink, Combo or even Bulk machines? And also what they charge...

Thank you,

PS: I'm in Florida , Tampa Bay area if that matters.

I know of no one out there these days that is considered to be a dependable, consistent locator. Your only real option is to Google locators and take your chances but with all of the scammers out there today I would not advise it. I completely agree with Gizmo that if you are not comfortable talking to businesses, your chances of success in vending is very low. He gave you some really good advice and I would encourage you to take it to heart.  

I believe the last two locators in the world were on this forum until they weren't.  They have gone now to the best vending location in the sky and they were a good source.  In 35 years they were the most professional locators I had seen.  There are all kinds of stories about good and bad.  The good ones typically are good until they are bad.  I used one back in 1985 who was recommended to me by a mentor who remained a friend for all my time in vending.  That guy found me 8-10 soda machine locations before he asked for an advance on three more and disappeared.  Get yourself an online free subscription to Automatic Merchandising magazine and in the back pages of each issue there sometimes are locating companies.  That's the best I can offer.  Be careful in Florida, there are more scammers per capita than the rest of the country.  There are lots of marks in those old folks communities.