AP Snack Shop 6600 Not Accepting Coins or bills- WHAT IS GOING ON

Hey everyone, I am selling a AP SnackShop 6600 for $250. I got a buyer, he came by and when we tested to see if it took cash and change, it didn't. I assume the bill acceptor was not working due to the fact the coin mech was empty (The MEI VN series bill acceptor was flashing two lights for mech error). The coin mech was accepting coins fine until I set all the prices to 00.00 in order to test all the motors for the buyer. After I set the prices back to 1.00 on all selections, the coins just started to pass right through to the coin return. The coin mech still works when I set the machine into service mode and hit the quarter, nickle, and dime ejection switches. I also cleaned the sensors with some isopropl alcohol. I am not sure if I messed something up on this, or what is going on. If anyone has any insight or tips to trouble shoot or fix this, that would be great.

11 minutes ago, allen watson said:

Maybe the prices are still set to 0.00

Thats what I thought too, I triple checked that the selections are not set to 0.00, If even one selection is set to 0.00 does anyone know if that may be why its rejecting payment?

51 minutes ago, CoastVending said:

Thats what I thought too, I triple checked that the selections are not set to 0.00, If even one selection is set to 0.00 does anyone know if that may be why its rejecting payment?

If only one selection is set to zero it should still take coins

6 minutes ago, allen watson said:

6 minutes ago, allen watson said:

58 minutes ago, CoastVending said:

Press check, press A1 and price reads 1.00 ?

14 minutes ago, CoastVending said:

Could it be something with the board preventing the coin and bill acceptors from taking money?

Yes but more likely the coin acceptor died

okay I guess that makes sense, the coin acceptor does show some life. When I go into test mode or whatever its called and I click the quarter nickle and dime buttons on the motherboard, it releases the correct denomination from the machine. Also its a MEI TRC 12-pin pulse 120v coin mech. Do these just randomly die? It was working a day ago...

4 minutes ago, CoastVending said:

okay I guess that makes sense, the coin acceptor does show some life. When I go into test mode or whatever its called and I click the quarter nickle and dime buttons on the motherboard, it releases the correct denomination from the machine. Also its a MEI TRC 12-pin pulse 120v coin mech. Do these just randomly die? It was working a day ago...

Occasionally. I have about 30 of these and if it were mine I would swap out the coin mech. I’m not an expert but the boards rarely go out. It’s usually something simple like prices not set or no nickels in the coin mech or a wiring harness issue. The 6600’s are very durable and one of my favorite machines

4 minutes ago, CoastVending said:

if theres no nickles would that make it not take change? Because the coin mech is empty... how many nickles would it need and could I just put them in the top of the tube?

Normally, it would take coins, even if it’s completely empty. Just trying to eliminate any possibilities.

This definitely sounds like a bad coin mech.  The magnet in the deck lid might have come loose which will reject coins.  Just get it repaired.

29 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

This definitely sounds like a bad coin mech.  The magnet in the deck lid might have come loose which will reject coins.  Just get it repaired.

would I be able to do that myself? I have some experience with cleaning and repairing bill and coin acceptors, but not much

Posted (edited)

You'd have to take the flight deck apart and secure the magnet with a hot melt gun, if it's loose.  Then you'll need to re-tune the coin mech.  If the magnet is broken then it has to be replaced.

Edited by AZVendor

4 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

You'd have to take the flight deck apart and secure the magnet with a hot melt gun, if it's loose.  Then you'll need to re-tune the coin mech.  If the magnet is broken then it has to be replaced.

Could I just replace the flight deck?

4 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

No, but the top acceptor can be replaced.

Alright all this makes perfect sense. Thank you guys for your help. I'm trying to decide if I should get the MEI coin acceptor replaced/fixed, and sell it as is for $250, or If I should pop a InOne kit in there, put a MDB coin acceptor and sell it for $750

33 minutes ago, CoastVending said:

Alright all this makes perfect sense. Thank you guys for your help. I'm trying to decide if I should get the MEI coin acceptor replaced/fixed, and sell it as is for $250, or If I should pop a InOne kit in there, put a MDB coin acceptor and sell it for $750

I get $500 for them without the upgrade. You should easily get $250 without a coin mech

18 hours ago, allen watson said:

I get $500 for them without the upgrade. You should easily get $250 without a coin mech

Yea, but the people in my area are lazy, they just want a cheap machine that works