Royal GIII 660-6 board battery dead?- confirm my diagnosis!

I have a Royal GIII 660-6 that, whenever turned on, reads "out of order" on display. If the board button is pressed, it will read the following (this is it-https://ibb.co/4JMpgPG) for about 10 seconds, then boot into regular mode. In this mode, the prices will be reset, the space to sales will be reset, etc. Is this a board battery issue? This is a photo of the board battery in the machine now (https://ibb.co/X7V5wP0). The quality of that photo is really bad, so Ill send a text version of what it says here- "991C3, M4T32-BR12SH1, TIMEKEEPER, SNAPHAT, CONTAINS LITHIUM CELL, MYS 99 343"

These are my main questions-

-does this sound like a board battery issue/needs replacement

-where can I buy this board battery?

-is there a special type of battery I need?

If you could give me an exact link to the battery to buy that would be amazing! Thank you all!

Edited by CoastVending

Jeez, clean your camera lens.  The first display is INIT.  Look it up in the manual.  The battery is a timekeeper chip and it's been talked about recently.  You can get it from Mouser Electronics.

Posted (edited)

rAM

The “rAM” (RAM) error code indicates that the machine setup information has been corrupted. When this error is present, the RAM will be completely reinitialised to default conditions. Upon pressing the service mode button, the controller will display “init” for approximately ten seconds and then reset the machine. At this point, the controller will need to be reprogrammed.

This is exactly what is happening, but no rAM error. What is the solution? Replace the ram? Can I do A ram clear? Could it still be the battery?

2 hours ago, Vendo Mike said:

You can get the battery from Mouser.com.  M4T32-BR12SH1  

If you have a meter you can pull the current battery and test.  A good battery will read 3.2 VDC between two legs on one end.

2 hours ago, AZVendor said:

Jeez, clean your camera lens.  The first display is INIT.  Look it up in the manual.  The battery is a timekeeper chip and it's been talked about recently.  You can get it from Mouser Electronics.

Edited by CoastVending

1 hour ago, Vendo Mike said:

RAM is easy to clear by removing the battery and is the first step.   If dumping the ram by removing the battery doesn't rectify the issue, you'll need to have the board repaired professionally.

How do I safely remove the battery, Mike?

Snaphats are clipped down to the RAM.  Often there is a bead of hot glue securing the two together.   The person in this video is working on a completely different board that uses Snaphat batteries.  Start at 1:23 or so. 

20 minutes ago, Vendo Mike said:

Snaphats are clipped down to the RAM.  Often there is a bead of hot glue securing the two together.   The person in this video is working on a completely different board that uses Snaphat batteries.  Start at 1:23 or so. 

That shows the install only, Im guessing I can just pull off the battery with a little bit of wiggling?

Pry it evenly from both ends to keep the pins relatively straight.  I use one of my tiny 1/8" flat blade screwdrivers to do this.  With the power off, of course.

On 8/26/2024 at 9:56 AM, Vendo Mike said:

You can get the battery from Mouser.com.  M4T32-BR12SH1  

If you have a meter you can pull the current battery and test.  A good battery will read 3.2 VDC between two legs on one end.

When I go to buy the battery, it asks for a bunch of options to check off or leave blank, what do I do for this specific machine, Royal 550-6?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/M4T32-BR12SH1?qs=7b1TReoOb8c6VJLzljl2GA%3D%3D