My New Crane

BluePlate

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BP,

I have 5 cranes and some other redemption/prize machines on location. Be careful on the licensed plush you buy. It is always more expensive and not always the greatest looking. They charge you a lot because of the licensing but you don't get quality. I have found with mine that you are better off mixing inexpensive larger plush with higher priced product. One thing that I have found to be very successful is putting one item in the machine that everyone tries to get. I put a TracFone in the middle of the mix. I have been doing that for months and it works great. They are regularly $20 each but they go on sale for $9.99. Another real good thing to do is buy the tattoos from http://www.winbigvending.com/ They have scratch-offs on their cards that give customers a change to win bigger prizes. http://www.winbigvending.com/ has P.O.S. that gives customers an idea of what they can win. I rubber band them to my plush and people go crazy trying to win.

Try http://www.coastentertainment.com for plush. I use the medium happy mix for my machines and it is good looking and cheap. They ship for free so that's always a winner for me.

Gary

hello

we run cranes and other type prize machines and they do very well. make sure you get the

hottest items you can fine,that what drives the sales. one thing i haved learned was

PRECIEVED VALUE.. ........ your customers look at your cranes like you look

at a store when you walk in and want to buy something. say you have a nice watch in your

crane,your customer says to himself...WOW!! that watch must cost $16 i will try to win it.

before you know he put $10 in your machine. also it is very importent that you let

your customers win also. the precent of winners you want to be at is 20-30% so they

win and are happy,and you make money. i have seen people walk by a crane and say,

that crane never picks up nothing and your done. you don't make any money and

others will here that.

also i have not tried any malls out yet but what is the going rate you are paying on your lease.

you can pm me if you like,we own about 51 cranes and was thinking about malls in nc

Thanks for the tips on the cranes.  I have thought about the higher value prizes, haven't do it yet. I'm having a lot of fun with the cranes, it is really amazing how people love to play these things.  I personally do not understand it.  Anyways, I was thinking abou bugging Steve to put up a skill crane board  ;D

The best deal I've found on licensed plush is from a company call NANCO.  The 7" licensed plush is running about $1.80/each.  The problem you need to buy individual items (not mixed) by the Gross. Anyone want to split a case of Spongebobs?

The other thing I learned from a local guy was to store the plush in one of the SPACE BAGS.  It's a big zip lock bag that has a vacuum port on it .......  sucks all the air out of the bag makes it smaller to store.

I forgot the name, this company has 2 malls one around me and one in upstate NY.  They are definately a smaller management company.  I am working on another mall that is a Simons mall.  How do you do with the Protocol machines?  This mall is looking for various vending relationships, they don't have anything like that.

hey casseri.....is there a boxer machine forum?  if not is there anyone out there vending these boxer machines?  its a machine with a speed bag attached to it....measures speed and power of a single punch.....anyone own this machine?  email me back...thanks

Whistle

I have seen these boxer machines. The company you see the most looks, (and is) a bus-op from what I read.

http://www.franchisesolutions.com/franchise/Knockout_Vending_LLC.cfm

http://www.punch-line.info/products.php?id=7

http://eagled.com/knockout.htm

The first one sounds like a bus-op.

The next two look like companies just selling machines, one at a time.

Gary

I forgot the name, this company has 2 malls one around me and one in upstate NY.  They are definately a smaller management company.  I am working on another mall that is a Simons mall.  How do you do with the Protocol machines?  This mall is looking for various vending relationships, they don't have anything like that.

Interesting, I would love to find out the other mall they own, I do a lot of business in the upstate NY marketplace. Malls can be great partners in vending and an asset you any vending business portfolio. Can you find out the management company or the town in New York they own the mall in and PM it to me.

hy

when you buy your plush,buy a kit.if you have lots of cranes then buying 100+ sponge

bobs is ok.the kits for your crane come in 10%-100% lic plush mix.the more lic plush

you buy in the kit the more monet the kit will cost. a good kit would be about 25-30% lic.

allways put you lic plush around the edges of the crane and up in front.it is very importent

to treat you crane like a store.look for the hottest stuff out there,examples,not movies

plush,sports plush,use some holiday plush but don't buy alot or you will have it to

next year.

also items like bling bling,cheap mp3s,and that new fighting figure thats red hot in wal mart

starts with a b_____ . i buy cheap watches,and hats are a good item.

I have a FANTASTIC question that hasn't been brought up. To all the crane vendors out there. How do you put things in the machine to make them achievable without being TOO accessable. MP3's and Hats seem too easy to grab. Is the machine just set up that way or is there a certain manner in which you deposit items to make them less attainable without being impossible?!

Barry S.

Barry,

As Bob said, put the higher end items in the back corners or at the front window. It will drive people nuts because they will want them but have to chip away at everything else before the good items fall to the center. That's good because it increases the number of plays, hence more money in the box. I start at the back with plush and work my way forward. I always build up the back higher than the front so it has a stadium effect. I rubber band items like Mp3's, $5 video cards, etc. to the plush that I put in the corners. I also put a $10 Tracfone in its case in the center of the plush. It is nearly impossible to pick up, but it's there and they want it! So they play and play and play. I have had a lot of success with WinBig tattoo's & stickers with the scratch off's on the cards. I rubber band them to the plush and each time I go back, all the plush with the scratch off's are gone.

Gary

I've never packed a crane before and though I have no intention of getting into the crane business anytime soon, lest I find a mall or some awesome location WITHOUT one. With that said, if I were to "pack" a crane today I would have no idea how to do it. Is this a trial and error type of thing or are there any suggestions such as; the MP3 has to be stuffed between two large animals with a brick tied to it that you can't see, ect. ect.

Thanks again,

Barry S.

Thanks for asking.  It is doing well.  The cranes I have there are only about 25% cool as the previous company. I knew I wasn't going to do as much as the previous company.  Anyways, I'm averaging $45/day.  The last few days it has dropped since the "back to school" crowd is over. 

I'm working on unique prizes and testing new things.  I'm hoping to have the mogic formula by Black Friday.

If you keep that average then the rent equals a gross sales commission of 37%.  That is a is a little high, but you have to take into account the volume. I do not know what is the average for a crane, but I would not think you would see alot of locations doing over 1k a month.

I don't want to knock you down while you are excited about this new account at the mall. I had the opportunity to buy about 6 locations in a mall down in San Diego last year. It was from one of the members on Vendiscuss.com. The mall wanted $1,300 per month for the 6 location. I turned it down because I didn't think it would cover the $1,300 rent. I would rather pay rent based on sales. What do you do during the slow months of Summer? Maybe your mall location is different but can you talk to them about adding a formula that includes sales in some way. Maybe, if it drops down below a certain level it changes to commission not rent. This way you don't get hurt during the slow times of the year. You could also have an extra commission bonus during the holidays so the mall is happy with the deal.

I really wish you luck and want to hear how it goes.

Good Luck

Gary

Archived