$1,100.00 an ounce. Are you kidding me?

caserri

I can remember, it must have been 20+ years ago, when I first became interested in investing in physical gold. The price per ounce was hovering right around $360 per ounce.

Never bought and now my butt hurts from kicking myself in it.  ;D

Do any of you see it going much higher? Could it reach $5,000 in another 20+ years?

Twice in my life I have missed small investments that really cold have made millions. I won't miss the third one!!

As far as gold. The time to get in was 5 to 10 years ago. It wouldn't hurt to have some gold but I don't see it going to $5000.00 any time soon unless the world economies star to actually collapse.

The devil is in the details though. I tried to get in at $85 during the IPO. My broker just laughed and got me in a few days later. I bailed as soon as it hit $200 thinking it had topped out......  :angry:

David, I don't see it hitting 5k anytime soon either but if you told me back in 1991 that it would be 1k plus I'd of thought you were on crack.

Gold is less about investing, and more about gambling.  Or what investors like to call "speculating".

Unless you have serious knowledge in this area, I would avoid it.  Leave it to the experts.

But if people like gold, or think it is still going to rise, then think about gold mining stocks.  Unlike gold, they produce dividends.  And obviously do good when the price of gold rises, maybe not as much, but the downside is not as bad.  Even when the price of gold drops, they can still make money.

I like to consider myself a numismatist and I also dabble in precious metals.  I see gold steadily rising over the next 20 years.  The U.S is on a fiat money system and if you look at history there is not a single empire, country, colony, you name it, that has survived on a fiat money system.  Our dollar has been, and will continue to drop until it finally crashes.  I believe that we are (but hope that we aren't) coming close to that time.   

When the dollar does crash and loses all value, what is left?  Precious metals, namely silver, gold and dare I say copper.

When / If the dollar does crash, I think we're all in for a rough ride even if you own gold or other commodities.  Gold would help you move to another country and start over again, but it wouldn't help you here that much.  The key is not to have all your assets in one thing, especially not cash.  Buy property, businesses, stocks, commodities, foreign currency, etc because those retain some value even if the dollar goes to zero.

I've been into the stock market for over 10 years and I still don't fully understand options.  I bought Google at 375 and sold it at 500, 33% in 3 months is not bad  :D  It eventually went up to 700 though  :(  I also bought Wells Fargo at 15, rode it to 25 (66%) in 4 months.

I have noticed that when it comes to investing, lots of people turn logic on it's head.  Now all of us here invest in machines, candy, and other forms of product.  Generally what we are doing is looking for the bargain.

Now imagine you heard that Sam's has just raised the cost of their 56 oz M&M's to $50.  Naturally you would rush out and buy bags of it, right?  Then you find out they dropped the price to $2 for the same bag.  You get upset, and take the bags back, returning them for $2 each.

I assume this all sounds ludicrous to you, but this is exactly how people invest in stocks.  Stocks go on sale, and what do people do?  They want to sell.  Stocks are overpriced, and everyone thinks they need to get in on the ride up.

We have a small 401K, and right now everything is in stocks.  Our portfolio is higher then it was before the crash.  Admittedly more money has gone in to it, but even without a cent added it would still be up.

At the end of the year, I will take a portion out, and put it in to bonds.  I will do that every year it goes up, and every year it goes down, a portion of those bonds will be transferred to stocks.

And when the market crashes again, as it does at least once a decade, I will be transferring a large portion of money back into stocks again.

This is somewhat how Warren Buffet made his money.  Wait for the "sale" and buy bargains.

Oh, and I am not worried about the dollar crashing.  It is declining, and there is one reason.  The government is doing it intentionally.  The dollar is a government produced item, and it's value is controlled by the government.  (OK, the Fed.)  Sure it is not full control, as the market has some effect.  But being the only supplier of the dollar, they can fully manipulate the market as they see fit.

It is no different then De Beers, and the diamond market.  At least when they controlled 80% of it.  Diamonds are not as rare as people think.  The supply is very tightly controlled, and it is because of this that diamonds are so expensive.

The market has had a recent shock, and the diamond producers are worried, because there are now a couple of labs that can produce synthetic diamonds that match $10K diamonds for about $100.  (Oops, I'm going off track.)

Anyway, as long as you keep your investments mostly out of cash, then the value of money is not a problem.  Generally if the value of a dollar goes down, the value of, say, real estate goes up.

Then again it will be sooner that I have to buy 50¢ mechs for my candy machines.

When / If the dollar does crash, I think we're all in for a rough ride even if you own gold or other commodities.  Gold would help you move to another country and start over again, but it wouldn't help you here that much. 

I don't feel that precious metals are that good of an investment. Lets look at other failed economies. When the Soviet Union broke up and the economy went into the crapper people didn't start trading with gold or silver, they reverted to a barter system. You can find many examples over the course of human history where a government has failed and people have implemented a barter system to get the goods and services they want and need. So IMHO if you want to insure that you will be able to take care of your family in the event that the economy collapses you need to develop a trade or skill that you can barter with.

Oh, and I am not worried about the dollar crashing.  It is declining, and there is one reason.  The government is doing it intentionally.  The dollar is a government produced item, and it's value is controlled by the government.  (OK, the Fed.)  Sure it is not full control, as the market has some effect.  But being the only supplier of the dollar, they can fully manipulate the market as they see fit.

You make some good points MV.  I just want to clear up that the Federal Reserve is not a government entity.  It is no more "Federal" than Federal Express.  You may already know this, but I was not sure judging by the way the post is written. 

This fact alone is what makes me a little nervous about the future of our dollar.  The ones in charge of the Federal reserve have no interest in growing our economy or making it stronger.

You make some good points MV.  I just want to clear up that the Federal Reserve is not a government entity.  It is no more "Federal" than Federal Express.  You may already know this, but I was not sure judging by the way the post is written. 

This fact alone is what makes me a little nervous about the future of our dollar.   The ones in charge of the Federal reserve have no interest in growing our economy or making it stronger.

First your quoting me, not MV.  (Oops)  ;)

And the Federal Reserve actually is a government agency. 

"The Federal Reserve System is not "owned" by anyone and is not a private, profit-making institution. Instead, it is an independent entity within the government, having both public purposes and private aspects."

http://www.federalreserve.gov/generalinfo/faq/faqfrs.htm#5

But being independent they are less likely to be subject to the whims of politics, and politicians.  But the fact that the Chairman of the FED is a government appointed job means they are not truly free of politics.

Sorry about that. 

I guess we differ on our definition of "government entity".  I do not disagree that they are influenced and involved in politics one bit.  Did you know the Fed has not been audited one time since their inception in 1913?  Did you know that Half a Trillion dollars of the "stimulus money"  went to over seas banks?  If not watch this video on Bernanke:

The point I am trying to make is that the Fed has too much power and secrecy.  That I do not like.

I would encourage you to read up on HR 1207 and S 604.

And to get back on topic:

I remember we had a member Guile not too long ago who was very knowledgeable about the subject of gold, silver, etc.  Maybe I will send him a PM so he can chime in here.

The Federal reserve is NOT a govt. entity. The Federal reserve is a group of privately held banks / bankers who loan money to the treasury dept / produce money for the Treasury dept.. The head of the Federal reserve is govt. appointed but the Federal reserve is not a govt. entity.

They have become more meshed with the govt. over the years but the Federal Reserve is more of a business partner with the govt. than a govt. entity.

I don't feel that precious metals are that good of an investment. Lets look at other failed economies. When the Soviet Union broke up and the economy went into the crapper people didn't start trading with gold or silver, they reverted to a barter system. You can find many examples over the course of human history where a government has failed and people have implemented a barter system to get the goods and services they want and need. So IMHO if you want to insure that you will be able to take care of your family in the event that the economy collapses you need to develop a trade or skill that you can barter with.

I didn't mean that people would actually trade with gold and silver.  I meant that with that gold, you can buy whatever is the next global currency after the dollar fails.  This would give you a head start rebuilding after everything is stabilized.

Gold always does well in times of uncertainty and strife. When things settle down around the globe I think you will find the price will drop back down. My way of investing in gold was to buy a nice paper – weight for the desk – that way you can enjoy gold’s best qualities while it is doing something useful .

If you bought Google shares at $97 you have no need to kick yourself about missing out on gold’s sudden rise in value. That was a very, very smart buy  :)

• 3 weeks later...