WHAT ALL DO YOU NEED TO START A LOCATING COMPANY?

westlakevending

Offer to set up drop off appointments and relocates on duds (less than $12.00/ mo.) for 100% of the locations within 90 days and you should have customers (I'll be one of them.) As long as the price is right.

You may need to purchase a data base listing businesses and you may want to call corporate chains and find out if you have any way to get vendors into those locations.

Talk to locators and get advice (if they are willing to give it.)

Outside of that I don't know much about it. If you need advice on Fire alarms or Electronic security that I can help with. ;)

David

this is all just a thought but im seeing other vendors getting burned by locators and most of them are overpriced. David thanks for the imput i will consider using your ideal warranty the locations vendors please put your imput here on what you want from a locator and ill make it happen. Ive got 4 staff members that will be securing locations for me. We will do fullline and bulk however specialize in bulk.

So come on vendors send me what you want from a locating company and ill make it happen

shawn

90 warranty on kick out or poor performers

Find locations quickly, get them out in one weeks time

Let the buyer select the type of business (motel/restaurant/etc)

Get approval, don't send them there on a maybe (this has not happened to me, but has to many people on the board)

Accept payment via credit card

Get a database listing for all businesses in your area--your major library should give you access through your account (free > paying for it)

Rip the caps lock key off your keyboard. It's drives customers away faster than aids.

Expect to have customer issues, everyone does. Part of the business is learning how to deal with them. Some customers are not worth having. Also, it will take a while to build up a customer base, and it will only happen if you get many positive reviews. If you really want to convince people to give you a shot, offer something to members. Maybe 1 free location for members with over 100 posts and a filled out profile on the condition that they post a review (positive or negative) of your service. That would let you quickly establish a reputation based on the feedback of respected board members.

If you really want it to take off, offer to do racks. There is not a single efficient rack locator in this country. I have been waiting on midwest for about 3 months to locate my 5way, and now I have a 7way in the garage also. (I keep bugging Rob to start doing racks) Offer guarantees on Racks, and be able to locate them within one month. I'd be happy to be your first Rack customer. The rack is 44 inches across, so you can have them measure for space :)

Let me know if you decide to give it a shot.

I'm always here to help my fellow entrepreneurs.  A more perfect world would include:

-  Reply to emails within 5 minutes. 

-  Answer all phone calls within the first 3 rings.

-  Spend a lot of time answering questions on the phone and listening to clients.

-  Trust vendors and take their word on replacements.

-  Offer free replacements on all poor performing locations in the first 6 months.

-  Offer free replacements on all kick outs in the first 3 months.

-  Charge $40 per location.

-  A wait time of less than 3 days for new locations.

-  Get a zip code database that categorizes by business type, employee count, zip code and zip code radius.

-  Verify every location prior to sending it out.

-  Accept All Major Credit Cards & PayPal ( must be approved for merchant account)

Don't forget to spam Craig's List AT LEAST 2x a week!!!!!!!  :angry:

Merc

Win. I go through so many kickstart ads when I'm searching for machines. Good to know Rob understands what we want well. At least he responds to e-mail in such a timely fashion I've never had reason to give him a call. It clearly is fairly difficult, because there are hardly any upstanding successful locating companies. (Companies that steal locating fees do not impress me, though I understand that is fairly easy to do.) I'm actually surprised there is so little competition, it seems Robs formula has worked well but noone has been able to copy him, Each of the steps alone does not seem to difficult, but only Rob has been able to manage a telemarketing staff to accomplish those objectives. Other successful locators always seem to consist of 1 to 2 people. Until Rob offers racks though, the rack locating field is wide open for anyone with the desire and knowledge to do it.

Until Rob offers racks though, the rack locating field is wide open for anyone with the desire and knowledge to do it.

NOW OPEN!

Caserri Rack Vending Locations!

Just kidding, please don't email me. I don't want any part of locating for others. It's a "No Win" for the locators.  :)

There is always room for new locators and there is also great opportunity for good locators.  Just try to think outside the box.  Look for locations that might work for bulk machines but no one is calling on them.  I think large companies with breakrooms might be good spots.  I think the automobile business is probably saturated, resturants are good but probably pretty saturated too.  Get a new business list from your local chamber of commerce and call those folks first.  I think you might find some good spots there. If you have some staff that you are paying on a per location bases you need to be sure they can call on good places with possibilities or they will get discouraged. Ask some of your clients for ideas too.

If any of you have any experience with large companies, why don't you let us know how they are doing.  In interviewing locators for my book I have not heard any of them talk about calling on companies with 50 plus employees.  Might be a good way to grow your market.

I do need to call on the Caserri Rack Vending Locating company to check them out. They must be so good they don't even need to advertise.

Blue Moose

Win. I go through so many kickstart ads when I'm searching for machines. Good to know Rob understands what we want well. At least he responds to e-mail in such a timely fashion I've never had reason to give him a call. It clearly is fairly difficult, because there are hardly any upstanding successful locating companies. (Companies that steal locating fees do not impress me, though I understand that is fairly easy to do.) I'm actually surprised there is so little competition, it seems Robs formula has worked well but noone has been able to copy him, Each of the steps alone does not seem to difficult, but only Rob has been able to manage a telemarketing staff to accomplish those objectives. Other successful locators always seem to consist of 1 to 2 people. Until Rob offers racks though, the rack locating field is wide open for anyone with the desire and knowledge to do it.

When I read things like this it makes me work 10X harder.  If I ever let up I would let this guy down and that would kill me.

I appreciate the comments from all of you, especially you Lurts.  I don't want any of you to think that Kick Start's formula is complete.  I can assure you the best is yet to come.

Regards,

Rob

Shawn

I would just like to add that it takes ethics and morals.  With the industry the way it is and the way so many vendors have been burned these two core traits would give you a leg up.  Then if you follow what others have added here, you should do fine.  If you don't have these then all that other stuff means nothing and you will fail.

Have you put together a business plan to cover everything and planned everything out?  If not you are planning to fail.  They are difficult and take time but require you to think about all aspects, all details, all scenarios and forces you to address issues upfront and thus give you that chance going in to be successful.

Neither vending nor locating are easy!  Never trivialize the effort needed to be successful with either one.  Also avoid throwing warm bodies at any problem.  Finding the right people with the right attitude is key in any business.

Jax

IM TAKING ALL ADVISE GIVEN HERE AND CONVERTING IT INTO A BUSINESS PLAN THEREFORE IM GOING TO BE GIVING YOU WHAT YOU WANT AND HOW YOU WANT IT. I HAVE 2 PEOPLE STARTING ON MY STAFF THAT HAVE OVER 15 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN TELEMARKETING AS WELL AS ONE PERSON WHO WORKED IN THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPT FOR OVER 20 YEARS AT A LOCAL HOSPITAL. I THINK I HAVE THE RIGHT TEAM I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU VENDORS WANT AND HOW YOU WANT IT.

SHAWN

I think by not returning phone calls, emails and by ignoreing potential costumers you are on the right track to becomeing like the majority of locators.I hope you do better at locateing then selling equipment. you still can`t seem to be able to answer my question on your 2 inch vending machine  for sale thread,or get a hold of me to sell me what I need,I wonder what make you think you can start a locateing biz ?

I understand your frustrations but i will admit i dont return calls or answer emails while im out on my personal route so if you tried to contact me during my route time its really tough. I dont have a used equipment shop where i sell machines i just sell the ones i pull of my route and resell them therefore i dont have a set monday through friday schedule for doing used machines my main focus is the route and now the locating business. Communication has been a barrier i know but ive got someone running my route now for me so my main focus will be locating for vendors. Ive got the right staff  and we will not be on call 24hrs a day but we will work monday-fri and answer all calls as we are calling out for locations. Ill i can say is give us a shot and see what were about.

We will be fully running next month.

shawn

Me. I am full line. I need pop/snack/coffee.

I

You shouldGet a Route Directory.

incl  Employee #s and compamy codes

names of principles on a spread sheet

go get leads, then work them (see them) or alternately pass them on to people like me

Set prices for  these leads @ $$$ . Set sucessfull leads =$$+$$

I would definately buy leads. I would definately pay if they closed

I am lousy and I am also lazy at getting leads

However, I am absolutly fantstic at closing leads.  Women love me &  men envy me and I get the account + you get paid.. alright that may be a bit of an over exaduration but I am good + I network withf 20 othrer vending companies in GTA. the Competion has just gone to $1.25 CHIPS $1.50 BARS, $1.24 POP so the seeds of discontent are sown.

I pay $500 snck. $500 pop.$ 250 coffee $500 combo Gross sales must equal your commisions in 6 weeks (negotable)