Expertise

davidsurvz

Hey Guys,

I was just thinking about this after reading Farmer Johns post. I know that many of us here have other jobs and other areas of experience / expertise. How about if we had an area to contact eachother, post questions get advice on things other than vending. I would gladly offer any advice on electronic security to the group. Anyone else???

What do you think Steve? Maybe a differen't area if anyone is interested in listing what background they have and we can get give advice on that stuff too.

Yes, No .... Maybe??

Just an idea.

If everyone wants to strictly stick with vending that is totally great this is a great forum. The thing that makes it so great though is the fact that we all share information and ideas.....

David

Hey Guys,

I was just thinking about this after reading Farmer Johns post. I know that many of us here have other jobs and other areas of experience / expertise. How about if we had an area to contact eachother, post questions get advice on things other than vending. I would gladly offer any advice on electronic security to the group. Anyone else???

What do you think Steve? Maybe a differen't area if anyone is interested in listing what background they have and we can get give advice on that stuff too.

Yes, No .... Maybe??

Just an idea.

If everyone wants to strictly stick with vending that is totally great this is a great forum. The thing that makes it so great though is the fact that we all share information and ideas.....

David

Sounds interesting... I'm in.  This -IS- the breakroom afterall :)

I'm in sales, so if you need any sales advice or anything sold, let me know:D.

Electronic security! I've been thinking about putting a video security camera outside my home, in the back. I was told I can get one that works on a motion sensor, so it only records whem someone or something (damn chipmunks) triggers the motion sensor. You ever run across anything like this?

Regards,

Philo

Yes,

There are a lot of systems out there that offer that recording capability depending on your budget they actually have cameras that can be assigned an IP address and linked to a computer. and viewed remotely. There are also several DVR systems available on the market. Depending on your budget and what you want to set up you can buy cameras that plug into your computer. I personally prefer seperate DVRs or IP cameras that you can run software on a computer to view / program.

There are a ton of manufacturers out there. If you give me some more details on what you are interested in I can give you some more specific info.

David

Err, didn't post my background, did I?  Have a strong background in computers and software engineering, any OS.  Along with that comes extensive knowledge on data management in SAN/NAS environments (fibre channel, iSCSI etc etc).  I've been a landlord for a number of years as well, so if anyone is curious about real estate investing, I have gobs of painful hard-earned experience with rentals, and a decent amount of knowledge on flips.  All my experience is with residential units, mostly multi-family.   I'm also a hypnotherapist with a practice, and have been studying that topic on and off for around 10 years.  Even if it's just an idle curiousity about it, I'm happy to answer any questions about hypnosis.

Cheers.

-Lucero

I guess my main area is LTL trucking industry. If you need to brew some beer or some good BBQ/cooking recipes I can help there also. Might be able to help with some orchid growing, ornamental pond or firearms questions. I am also looking into being a process server.

Hey Steve,

What was your background before you became the "Vending Sensei" :D

First off, I'm still learning everyday so I'm far from a "Vending Sensei" I just like to share what little I do know about vending with others.

As far as my background, I have been in the transportation industry most of my adult life. I got my CDL to drive 18 wheelers when I was 21 and set out to see the country. I spent 15 years staring out a truck windshield.

Steve 

I worked for Frito-Lay for 32 years. 16 years on a route and 16 years as an account manager.  I retired last year and moved to Southern California from Long Island, NY. So snack foods have been my business for 32 years. I always loved the route business so when I decided to go in to the vending business it was an easy descission to make.  I also design web-site and have a promotional printing business that I do for fun.

Gary

Hey Steve,

What was your background before you became the "Vending Sensei" :D

First off, I'm still learning everyday so I'm far from a "Vending Sensei" I just like to share what little I do know about vending with others.

As far as my background, I have been in the transportation industry most of my adult life. I got my CDL to drive 18 wheelers when I was 21 and set out to see the country. I spent 15 years staring out a truck windshield.

Steve 

I mean that with all respect. Compared to me you are a vending Sensei.

I traveled all over the country for several years too when I used to install ATM's for the banking industry. I have been in forty states so far I hope to see all fifty eventually.

David

• 2 weeks later...

"davidsurvz: what special equipment is need to watch your cameras recordings from home via internet?is there a monthly subscription involved?"

There are several different types of systems out there. You can buy camera systems that run software with an ethernet connection to a PC and you can view that way. No subscriber fees just the cost of the equipment. Depending on budget you can get a simple 1 camera connection to your PC all the way up to full Digital multiplex matrix systems that can run hundreds of cameras and get into tearbytes for image storage they can also be viewed remotely from anywhere in the world. Big brother really is watching.....:shock:

Depending on the application you can pick up many different types of systems for a reasonable price. Let me know some details and I could give some direction on what to look for.

David

all i need is a system with 4 or 5 cameras.i need this system so i can watch what my help does when i`m not at the shop and also to deter possible theft.i dont think i need anything too high tech.

so with my internet conection at the shop I can view what everyone does from home at no extra cost?we installed our first system, a samsung bought at sams but the monitor stopped turning on,could we install this new type of system ourselves.it should be the same except we have to hook up internet to it,is this correct?thanks for the advice.

What I would recommend for this application is a 4 or 8 channel  DVR that has an internet connection. You can run the software on a PC or laptop and program and remote view from a PC or laptop also. If you want to pm me I can give you some ideas on layout and what to install. You can buy these systems almost anywhere these days.

David

Was in manufacturing management for 22 years with a company that went belly-up in PA. Put my CDL to use, which I obtained through that co. and went OTR for 2 years. Couldn't make a living OTR so relocated to the deep south and got a local driving job. Had a heart attack 6 years ago and couldn't pass the CDL physical so went back into management again with a co. that went belly-up after 5 years of service with them. Now I'm a courier for a diagnostics lab. I seem to pick companies that go out of business. Hopefully I can retire from this job. As long as someone needs a drug screen I should be safe.

My main expertise is animal rescue. I've been in it for the past 17 years and love every minute of it.

Well that's my life in a nutshell. Hope I didn't bore y'all. ;)

Hey Dave … good topic …

Wanna know what I do? … Oh that’s right you already know (easier to list what I don’t do some days *hearty laugh*), But for those who don’t …

1 Year large photographic graphic cameras (analogue) (printing industry)

1 Year Mining industry

3 Years Electrical construction work

3+ Years Fabrication (industrial)

4 Years electronic bench technician (old school)

6+ Years general Construction (Industrial)

7+ Years security and ATM industry

(Yes I got to work with Dave sometimes too [those were the days])

10 years Machining Manufacturing industry

Etc, ect, and so forth

Dave … Can you answer my Fire alarm questions as they arise? Just kidding … but really is there a panel out there that you can set up w/ fire and burg .. will a DMP do it? I mean for a home with a smoke detection system, and CO / natural gas detectors … OH sorry if they are NC or NO you just name the loop huh??? DUH… well it has been a while …

Lots of interesting trades here and I look forward to chatting with you guys…

I like the advice forum idea Dave

----------------

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Your Brother ... out ...

I have been thinking of working on home brewing some beer I understand it is quite an art.. I may have some questions about that fun stuff ...

I am still trying to get all my junk to Northern ID from TX (would rather move to my stuff... but alas ...) I have considered everything from Trains to Trucks and still think I will have to Penski it (self pack and load and haul) only major issue I have is 16,000 lb payload -- which exceeds most standard moving trucks by far. I have considered palletizing it and shrink wrapping it then calling a private hauler but for 2k miles freight I would come in at about 3.5k expenses just for the OTR haul. then I would still have to rent a box truck for any of the items the freight co. wouldn't haul (hazmat, or what have you)... so I am looking at close to 5k, If I do it all alone I may scrape by for 3.5-4k but have a LOT of work to make it happen... any thoughts or suggestions?

DB.... out ....

DMP, Bosch, Maxsys, Ademco can all run fire alarm with annunciator and can have NFPA ratings if you use a communicator. overkill for resi??? Maybe but it would be nice to have the fire department roll immediately if your house caught on fire. If you are using an XR200 you can run 12.0 volt 4 wire smokes or 110 smokes (with alarm contact) and put them on the fire zones on the panel. Just program them as 24 hr. fire zones. I can get you info. for a central station that monitors DIY alarm systems.

I can help with the homebrew when you are ready Daves brother. Check out ABF Freight for the move. They have a service where they drop a 28 foot pup at your house and you load it. They then come back and haul it to your new house and drop it for you to unload. I work in LTL but not for them. The weight limit is at least 24K on a pup. I don't know their service area out there. We are national but you would have to palletize everything and arrange for liftgate pick up/delivery from the local center. I would guess you could get it done for $1,000 - $1500. You can check with the capacity division of LTL's for a free freight quote. You will need an idea of the weight, total trailer length and zipcodes for a quote.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

I knew you would have an answer for me, but I didn't know it was going to be that good. :cool: I think I will want a monitoring connection at some point, I figured that even a local with a strobe and warning buzzer would be far better than the Costco Taiwan battery hogs we have here, that only beep when the battery is going dead (and only between 1am to 4am). Would they work well in a fire? Do I want to bet my LIFE on it?

Any solid brands you would recommend for smokes / heat?

P.S. pannels still in TX

Pss Yes XR200

Bro ...Peace.... Out ....

Thanks for your input, Beer,

I will check it out sounds like a very reasonable way to go. I would be well inside the weight limit, and could likely fit everything into a 28' pup easily I figured someone in the industry could at least give me a direction to look. I may be asking more advice on this later. As for the beer and BBQ part ... that will have to wait for summer:) :) , or at least until I can remodel the backyard. And have extra room for my basment brewery.

Trevor ... out ...