Another newbie with STARS in his eyes-

davenj

Vendstars, - a whole big route full of . . . no, not really.

I've been reading here for a few weeks, and I've learned a few things and made a few decisions.  But first a quick introduction.  I'm in New Jersey, and I have a full time j o b with a very large retail company.  I've been with them for a very long time now.  Before that I did a variety of sales work as well as photography and real estate.

For years I've experienced the awful service and terrible selection of our break room vendors, and occasionally thought about looking into the vending business.  If I was thirty five years younger, I might pursue full line.  But I'm not.  I recently bought a Keurig single serve coffee maker for home use and started thinking about the possiblities of coffee vending with the variety and quality that single serve offers.  It was that research that brought me to this site.

While I'm enjoying my K-cups at home, I don't like the way the margins look, and the whole necessary setup to vend them is somewhat awkward.  I still have a lot of interest in this and I'm continuing to explore possibilities, but don't yet see a clear path forward.  But now I've been introduced to BULK.  I like the low cost of entry, potential quick return on investment and the total freedom from time constraints.  My full time j o b has wildly varying hours and makes coordinating with second jobs very difficult.  That's not the case with vending.

I'm also in the process of setting up a local business directory type of website and have plans for a county-wide site also.  As I go around introducing businesses to my website, I can simultaneously scout for potential machine locations.  This looks to be a perfect ancillary business that can be as large as you would like to make it.  So I have decided to go forward with this. 

After many hours of reading, I've decided that were money no object, my ideal machine would be NW 60s.  Those neat modern looking ones with the louvered front and naturally the quick service cash drawer.  But money is of course an object, and my first machines will probably be whatever I can get the absolute best deal on that is in reasonably good condition and is reasonably reliable.  It might even be a sort of grayish triple - I know how to use spray paint.

But right now I'm headed toward acquiring some used 60s.  I've learned that the machine doesn't matter nearly as much as the location does.  And often it takes awhile to match the right product to location.  I read recently on a British business forum that "vending machines do not make money."   The punchline was that it is the location that makes money.

I'm leaning towards, but not fixed on going the charity route, but with some type of local charity.  I have a few things in mind, like food banks, habitat, humane society or veterans groups.  I think the charity participation would be a good tie-in to my websites.  I do not intend to concentrate on any one type of location, as I will be approaching all types, and the single heads would afford flexibility.  I plan to take my time and continue reading.

I'm glad to have come across this site.  I spend a lot of time online - enough to appreciate the quality of this site, its members, and the valuable information available here.  Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as I make my way through this experience.

- - Dave

Hi Guys - Thanks for the welcomes. 

I'm privileged to live within easy driving distance of T Bird Land.  John, you may at some point need to open up a vending school, publish e-courses and hold go-to-meeting online vending webinars. You've already helped answer a lot of my getting started questions.

I've mentioned how much I think of this forum.  It is without a doubt the best discussion group I have ever come across.  I've spent a huge amount of time reading here the past month.  When I search topics now, I come across a lot of threads that I've already seen.  I must have read half the archives.

Of course all this means I have no excuses.  Its time to get kicked out into the vending jungle, and create my own mania.  I'll be placing my first A&A order today.  Some necessary items and a few odds and ends so I can deal with a variety of situations - locks, a couple double plates, some spare wheels etc..  I also need to remember  to order some product to go in the machines.

So I better not let it be too long before I post my first location.

I will also welcome you to the VENDiscuss forum.

I also recommend you don't have stars in your eyes.  Your success or failure will be solely your responsibility.  I do assume you are not like some who see the profit potential, but give up once they realize there is actually work involved.

Having access to T-Bird will be of great benefit to you, if he actually leaves some locations near you that is.  (Doesn't he have them all now?)

Good skill.  (Almost said good luck, but I don't believe in luck.)

• 3 months later...

Welcome, you can also consider buying machines directly from China there is a page called alibaba.com were you can serarch for potential suppliers, just call it a trial/test purchase then they will accept a small order, for you to test the product.

Have there been many problems with them, I must say the locks a very bad, it got completly stuck on one of the machines the other day.

But unfortinatly thats one of the only machines i can get i Denmark. I just got a mail that i should look at A&A, and that they can be fitted to take danish coins. So ill do that, but your proberly right.