Buying a soda machine already placed

Hey guys this is my first post here. I am buying a soda machine already placed. The seller says it makes $50 or so a week on average and $150 a month. How can I verify this? What am I looking for in receipts etc that proves this? Also it's a Dixie Narco. What do I need to check to make sure it is in good working order? This will be my first machine. Thanks!

How much are you paying for the machine and location?  That seems like a fairly small profit to me so that is why I ask.  I would definitely find and read a manual for the appropriate Dixie Narco, as far as knowing if the machine is in working order make sure it cools and that all of the rows function.  Good Luck! 

I have not come up with a absolute solid way to prove sales.  Every way I can think of can be molested in some fashion.  

A $50 a week location is a "good location" in my book.  Why is he wanting to sell and how much is he asking?  Many guys will inflate the sales #(lie to you)so you have to be careful of that.  If it is doing $50 per week -then figure out how many cans it would take to come up with that figure and see if the amount of people working there support what he is saying. Example- If he is saying $50 per week at $.60 per can you would need to be selling 80 cans per week to come up with that #.  Take into account normal business hours- I would say there needs to be a dozen or so people working there and some traffic to come up with $50/week.

Thank you everyone for responding. I find out which specific machine this weekend. They are sellng because it's off the beaten path compared to their normal route. We haven't negotiated a price but $1000 or higher has been thrown around. They did say it is fairly new maybe 1-2 years? Bought for $650.

If this machine is fairly new within 1 to 2 years then you will be buying the account for the value of the machine plus product and money inside on the date of sale.  That fact that it is placed and making money is a plus.  If it is actually making $50 a week most vendors consider this income on a drink a keeper.  It sounds like you are a new vendor.  Will the seller be available if you have service questions?

If so all in all it sounds like a fair deal if the machine is actually that new.  Check the model and serial number.  You can determine the machines actual age with the serial number.

The vending business is not cheap.  The equipment is expensive and finding good accounts is difficult.  Plus add in the hard work of purchasing product, filling the machine and keeping it sparkling clean (most important part of the job)...you end up earning those quarters with some sweat.

Blue Moose

most soda machines can track sales. That would not stop the guy from running extra sales through the machine.

If you had bought the machine for $650 and had it delevered and set up it would cost a min $75 - $150 depending on the distance of the delivery and who you found to do it.

I would talk to the owner and employees of the location. Ask them if the machine is working, and if they are having any issues. If they respond with I do not know...I do not use it. That would be a red flag.

If you are looking to get into full line vending, buying a machine on location is a good way to start(if you do not over pay). You do not have to move it, and if it does not do well, you can leave it there until you find a better location.

I would offer around $800

First we would need a model to be able able to help you with that part. Second, even if you get the vend count and/or cash count you would need to have the count number on the machine when it was installed to verify sales figures. So this may or may not be helpful

See if you can get some info about the number of people there, if they are there all day and if there is any outside traffic coming through. With that info we can tell based on averages and experience if the numbers are at least reasonably realistic.

Ok guys and gals let me ask you this.. If I am buying a location, other then speaking with the owner of the location what else can I do to protect my purchase? Should I have the location owner sign an agreement? What should I have the seller of the location sign?

I wouldn`t bother with the location agreement.

Get a bill of sale from the sellers and make sure the serial # is on it.  Change the lock, make sure business owner is aware you are new owner.

If you want .....  add a letter from seller stating he won`t solicit location for vending services for X amount of time.

IMO this would be overkill for a single machine and location but that`s up to you.