Drilling out a lock

HI all,

I just bought a Rowe 4900 machine from another vendor . The previous owner bought the machine as a fixer upper (the glass was broken as thieves got into the machine) and was going to use it on his route but later had to buy a new machine since the site he got wanted a machine "right now"....

I got the machine for future expansion so I am not in a real time crunch to get it fixed BUT I would like to get it ready since I have solicited several locations and could hear back at anytime....

The lock cannot be picked (all mangled up) since the previous owner started drilling the lock out but stopped after his drill broke (It was still stuck in the partially drilled lock when I got it).

What is the proper size drill bit to use?....I just bought a set of extended life De Walts w/ the self starting tips and I have a good 1/2" drill so I should be good to go.  Any tips or tricks of the trade I should know about to keep from damaging the T handle?....I would like to re use that part and I already have a bunch of keyed alike lock cylinders I got off eBay.

Thanks!

Andrew

Unless its a cheap factory lock, its probably a hardened cylinder. Thus explaining the broken drill bit.

I`ve found its usually easier to dril the T handle at the 6 or 12 O`clock position and get the "latch" portion of the lock. If one position doesn`t get it the other will. Something close to a 3/8 ought to do the job.

If its a Medeco, Abloy or any other truly tough lock you can easily spend more on drill bits trying to get the lock out than what a new T handle will cost you. Not to mention the hours of pure fustration you can put into this project. (speaking from experience here)