I can have you arrested.......

Yesterday after serviceing an account with a 4 head rack, I again found 2 of the machines with tokens in them. This has been an ongoing "pain in my butt" for a few months now. After talking to the owner, he states he knows who it is that's doing it. A teenager who comes over there from next door at the Beef O' Gradys that has a claw machine that uses tokens. I realize we are only talking a few quarters here, but it's the principal of it. I gave the store owner a copy of the city codes so he could show it to the kid next time to hopefully turn  this young man around. I had no idea that you could be arrested for cheating a vending machine. Glad to know someone's helping us out.

Copy of code:Sec. 54-131.  Fraudulent use of pay phones and other coin-operated machines.

(a)  No person shall operate, cause to be operated, or attempt to operate or cause to be operated any coinbox telephone, parking meter, vending machine or other machine that operates on the coin-in-the-slot principle, whether of like kind or not, designed only to receive lawful coin of the United States of America, in connection with the use or enjoyment of telephone or telegraph service, parking privileges or any other service, or the sale of merchandise or other property, by means of a slug or any false, counterfeit, mutilated, sweated or foreign coin, or by any means, method, trick or device whatsoever, not authorized by the owner, lessee or licensee of such coinbox telephone, parking meter, vending machine or other machine.

(B)  No person shall obtain or receive telephone or telegraph service, parking privileges, merchandise or any other service or property from any coinbox telephone, parking meter, vending machine or other machine, designed only to receive lawful coin of the United States of America, without depositing in or surrendering to such coinbox telephone, parking meter, vending machine or other machine lawful coin of the United States of America to the amount required therefor by the owner, lessee or licensee of such coinbox telephone, parking meter, vending machine or other machine.

©  A violation of this section shall constitute a class 3 misdemeanor.

(Code 1982, § 17-19)

State law references:  Similar provisions, Code of Virginia, § 18.2-179. 

Very interesting.

I like that the owner of the location may show that to the kid.

Kid is going to have an awkward moment when that happens.

Although he'll probably deny being the one using tokens on your machine.

• 1 month later...

Copy of code:Sec. 54-131.  Fraudulent use of pay phones and other coin-operated machines.

(a)   No person shall operate, cause to be operated, or attempt to operate or cause to be operated any coinbox telephone, parking meter, vending machine or other machine that operates on the coin-in-the-slot principle, whether of like kind or not, designed only to receive lawful coin of the United States of America, in connection with the use or enjoyment of telephone or telegraph service, parking privileges or any other service, or the sale of merchandise or other property, by means of a slug or any false, counterfeit, mutilated, sweated or foreign coin, or by any means, method, trick or device whatsoever, not authorized by the owner, lessee or licensee of such coinbox telephone, parking meter, vending machine or other machine.

(B)   No person shall obtain or receive telephone or telegraph service, parking privileges, merchandise or any other service or property from any coinbox telephone, parking meter, vending machine or other machine, designed only to receive lawful coin of the United States of America, without depositing in or surrendering to such coinbox telephone, parking meter, vending machine or other machine lawful coin of the United States of America to the amount required therefor by the owner, lessee or licensee of such coinbox telephone, parking meter, vending machine or other machine.

©   A violation of this section shall constitute a class 3 misdemeanor.

(Code 1982, § 17-19)

State law references:  Similar provisions, Code of Virginia, § 18.2-179.  

bitchin'

In Indiana, if you take a token from one place and use it in another place they can have you arrested also!  :o

My brother which in politically correct terms is classified as a "special needs" person had tokens for his Japanese slot machine. (for home use)  We have gotten into the routine of celebrating our oldest daughter's birthday at Chuck E Cheese.  Last year my much younger brother took a pocketful of his tokens from his Japanese slot machine there.

We are all enjoying ourselves when our oldest daughter comes running up in a frantic additude to us saying "Uncle xxxxxx is in trouble, a man is not letting him go and he said the police are coming to take Uncle xxxxxxx to jail!" 

The manager caught my brother using as he put it "unauthorized tokens" in the machines and it is concidered theft.  Two police officers came and stated the manager was correct.  We managed to get the officers to make the manager call the Franchisee.

One of the officers spoke to the Franchisee and told her about my brother's situation.  She finally dropped the charges, but filed a restraining order against him preventing him of ever coming into the place.

To say the least, that was the last time we will ever eat or have a party there. 

Before you folks start bashing me,  What he did WAS WRONG.  My father and I even offered to pay the 25cents for each of my brother's tokens he had used.  And they accepted that.  But the way I look at it, It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see my brother is ab normal. And according to Doctors, his mentality is far from par.