possibly got first loc. - they want healthy products only - what are my options?

Very excited, possibly got my first full-line locations! However, they want healthy products only. Machine will be placed in a building with 50-60 full time employees, so I definitely think it could be a lucrative spot. And they do not care about a commission.

My main question is, what suggestions do you have for products I could vend? I thought about water, vitamin water, powerade or gatorade... What other options are there? My intention is to start with a beverage machine first, what would be a good choice? I prefer dixie narco possibly a bev max 3, can this vend the products I just mentioned?

Thanks!!

First of all, congrats on getting out there.

The first question is how do you or they want to define healthy? Is it low cal, smaller serving sizes, all natural with no artificial colors and preservatives? Juice products?

Are you able to order direct from the bottlers? By that I mean do you have a commercial address they can deliver to? Most bottlers won't/can't deliver to residential address due to various zoning regulations and city ordinances.

Here is link to a recent thread I started about healthy vending. There are many products out there and new stuff coming out every week so especially for snacks you have really got to keep up with things.

You will probably need to shop at several places to get enough variety, Sam's, Costco, BJ's, bottlers, etc. they all seem to have a few items that the other does not.

http://vendiscuss.com/forum/index.php?topic=9195.0

Let me know more specifically what you need, I'm sure that I can give you some assistance.

I like healthy, but I would not do healthy vending unless they had at least 200 employees.  Full line vending is hard enough without having to throw out healthy snacks no one wants.  Out of those 60 employees, how many of them actually eat healthy?  The manager eats healthy but who else.  I had a hair salon ask me for a healthy snack machine.  I passed it up of course.  Nothing sales better than chocolate, salt and Mountain Dew  O0

Yeah I'm thinking a machine of healthy snacks could be more trouble then it's worth but drinks could be profitable, don't you think? Vitamin water is popular, gatorade and/or powerade, I could probably even get them to be ok with snapple, ice tea, etc... just not soda or energy drinks loaded with sugar basically.

I like healthy, but I would not do healthy vending unless they had at least 200 employees.  Full line vending is hard enough without having to throw out healthy snacks no one wants.  Out of those 60 employees, how many of them actually eat healthy?  The manager eats healthy but who else.  I had a hair salon ask me for a healthy snack machine.  I passed it up of course.  Nothing sales better than chocolate, salt and Mountain Dew  O0

I've been making a lot of progress in getting healthy items that sell into the city locations where I have been  mandated to do so. It will be interesting to see what happens to sales numbers when this is fully implemented and we past the initial shock factor of not having a Snickers bar available.

This issue of healthy vending is not going to go away. I have made the decision to do my best to try to find a way to make this work, not because I am particularly excited about it but as a way to provide a service that my competitors don't. It will be a way for me to differentiate myself from everyone else. 

Since we do 90% of our work in California healthy vending has been mandated out there for awhile now in the schools and some government departments.  If you go to our site at www.bluemoosevendmgt.com and click on the school tab.  You will find the California Nutritional List which has been approved for both snacks and beverages.  Most of the items can be purchased at Vistar.  Also check out the fit for life site provided by NAMA.  Lots of help there too.

Not enough feedback yet as far as what is selling.  I do have a couple of vendors that do school accounts.  I could ask them for some feedback on top sellers.  I understand Haw Punch has now been put on the healthy beverage listing.  I am not sure how that happened but it is on the list.

Good luck with your account.

Blue Moose

One more thing, another approach on the healthy vending request might be discussing that you offer those products but to keep the machine profitable you offer a 60/40 mix.  That way you can put in all of your top sellers and slowly replace items that are not selling.

With healthy items you want to stock low on each selection until you see what is selling.  Also you need to keep the account updated is the healthy sales are too low.  That way you can cut down on those products and up the standard products without upsetting the account.

Blue Moose