cooling problem

I just bought me a new full line soda machine for a great price. I already knew that it didnt cool but the gentleman told me the machine's compressor work. I tested and verified this as well. I figured it would be typical freon but when I mentioned this he said he didnt think it took freon. Any help would be appreciated. It is a mechanical vending machine so not to dfficult to work on.

these compressor decks are sealed units, unless the capacitor on the side of the compressor is bad you pretty much have to throw them in the trash and get a new one, i get all mine from rick at venidngadvantage.com and can honestly say that i have never had an issue with one of his refurbs in the 4 years that I have been in this business. 

A tech can cut into the freon lines and install the necessary valves to "refill" the sealed system after finding and repairing the leak. If you cant get a replacement it is possible to repair it.

Biggest problem with that is that its probably only a temp solution. Once those cheap systems start springing leaks it will keep on happening and the cost will be about the same as a replacement with no warranty.

A sealed system can be repaired by a qualified refer tech. All they mean when they refer to a sealed system is that it no longer comes with a charging port just to add gas. You must cut into the system and do your repairs. Usually the cost of repairing the refrigeration in a stackable is more then you can buy them used for.

If you can fined out what type of Refrigerant the system is useing and the suction line you can add your own refrigerant useing a Line Pierce/Charge Valve that fits over the line then clamps to it and then will pirce a hold in the line and allow you to fill the system and then close the valve. you can pick this up at graingers for a few bucks. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6X898?Pid=search once you see what refrigerant you need you can get it on ebay. after your ready to fill it just put a little in at a time till the system is cooling like it should. I fine that a lot of the old vendo mahcines used R12. Just be sure you have the suction line and be carefull not to get the liquid on your skin when ur filling. can get cold and burn you if your not carefull. If your going into this for the long haul you should give it a try and learn a few things. They allso have decks on ebay for around $200.00 bucks. Good Luck.

There are two lines comeing form the compressor, one is the in line or the suction line this line feels cool to the touch on a good runing  system. and the other line is the outgoing line or Pressure line. This line tends to feel hot to the touch on a good runing system. When you start to fill the system with refrigerant using a Quick Charge kit, you will add it when the compressor is runing. Add just a little at a time till you can see the system cooling down. If you add to much the system will not cool down like it should. to much refrigerant will not allow the liquid  to trun into a gas with will not let the system get cold like it should. Hope this helps.

I would warn someone that has no experience with refrigeration that this is not just a guessing game. First you need to know what you need for gas as you cannot mix most types. Second freon evaporates at a very low temp and as such it is a dangerous gas to "play" with. Liquid freon, if gotten in the eyes, can blind someone.

hexoff is right in that you need to fill on the suction side. If you fill off of the high pressure side you could also blow up one of those tiny cans.

If you do attempt this and are successful it may only be a temporary fix. There may be a leak in a line and may not last long.

• 2 weeks later...

so i got a new compressor. Machine cools and everything works correct on that part. Took machine to a hvac tech so gt all the tools needed to fix. Only problem is now the machine shuts off whenever it hits a certain temperature. It cools to that point then clicks off. Compressor and everything. Hvac guy is still checking it but still confused so I figured I'd help. Might be a problem with the thermostat so wondering if thats it?