Prospecting

Hillbilly

Doing a little online prospecting (getting ready for Saturday) and I've found a little bakery and an ice cream shop.  How would they do with toys and gumballs?

Hmmm, An Ice cream parlor...  Wow,  I really couldn't tell ya.  people that go in there are getting something to consume.  So yeah, I guess toys or bouncy balls would be the only choice.

We have a double in an ice cream shop.  Has gumballs and mike & ikes. We pull on average $20 every 4 weeks. Most of the money being in the gumballs. Think I may try gumballs and bouncy balls next month.

I have a single in a bakery that was doing about $6 per month with mint chicle in there.

Switched the single from gum to toys and now I average double per month.

Not nearly a gravy location, but I'm happy with it because:

1. The bakery is in a strip-center I visit regularly anyway.

2. I'd rather be doing toys than gum/candy...especially for double the gross.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't feel like starting a new thread but had a few questions. Today I was out scouting / Sams Club and on my way home I stopped to pick up one of my fathers work trucks at a Tuffy Oil Lube.  So on my way in i noticed 1 guy reading the paper, a wife with two kids and no gumball machine or bulk vending. I did notice a table top snack vending machine. Wondering how I should approach the business about possibly getting a gum ball and/or snack machine. 

You ask.  That's all you do.  It don't get any simpler than that.  Odds are you'll get a no.  But even if you do, the next time you are in, you could ask again.

Prolly won't be doing toys so I'm assuming you'll be doing candy.  I would suggest doing charity if you can.  I have a few auto service places, and they do about $10 a month.  Giving a commission of 10% is only $1.  I feel kinda stupid giving only $1 commission.  That makes charity look so much more attractive.

Thanks, sounds like a good idea. Thinking of going with the Childrens Cancer Society. Have u place the charity stickers on the inside of your machine? I would rather not have a sticky mess on the side of my machine. Hoping to tape it in the glass part of my machine?

When I first started doing this, I placed the stickers on the lids.  I had mostly vista300's and they pretty much fit.  I just had to cut out a hole in the middle of it for the lock.  But people always peel them off.  So I started placing them on index cards and putting them inside the globe with the other labels.  So a vista300 would have the product lable in the front, and the charity label on one of the sides.

Once again, I don't have this image available, but I made up one special lable using powerpoint.  It was sized to fit a vista cabinate.  It would have big lettering on the top that said 'Gumballs, assorted flavors" and then below that was a space to afix the charity sticker.  So I basically incorporated the product label and the charity sticker into the same label.

i just go get a color copy of charity stickers  and put it inside with candy that way  you dont have a sticky mess to deal with   

The danger with this is if another vendor notices your color copy, NCCS will be calling you the following day. You can use the normal sticker--keep the back on it, use clear scotch tape, or clear masking tape, and tape the sticker to the inside of the globe. In my experience, toys frequently do just fine in auto repair places. I was surprised to learn it was the employees buying them.

Guest ontheballvending

Keep in mind that a location needs at least 250 visitors per month, to make it a decent location.  Anything less, and you are going to be moving your machine soon.  This is my opinion.  Scot

How do you go about finding out how much foot traffic a place does?

Just walk in and look around.  Go in at various hours... and on different days.  Should give you a pretty good idea.

Guest ontheballvending

I just ask the clerk, manager or owner.  They normally will tell you and they should know the exact number.

This is a great way to find out what is going on.  You can just sit in the parking lot and watch too.

Numbers add up fast.

When I first started doing this, I placed the stickers on the lids.  I had mostly vista300's and they pretty much fit.  I just had to cut out a hole in the middle of it for the lock.  But people always peel them off.  So I started placing them on index cards and putting them inside the globe with the other labels.  So a vista300 would have the product lable in the front, and the charity label on one of the sides.

Once again, I don't have this image available, but I made up one special lable using powerpoint.  It was sized to fit a vista cabinate.  It would have big lettering on the top that said 'Gumballs, assorted flavors" and then below that was a space to afix the charity sticker.  So I basically incorporated the product label and the charity sticker into the same label.

Here's the Image I use.  I put the NCCS label in the square in the center.