In negotiations for a laundromat.

kai1836

To figure how much of a potential profit there is to be made.  With a Laundromat, you light bill is going to be very costly.  $3,000 a month sounds really good right?  Well, what if your electric bill is $2800 or $2900?  that only leaves 1-200 bucks to take care of everything else.

To figure how much of a potential profit there is to be made.  With a Laundromat, you light bill is going to be very costly.  $3,000 a month sounds really good right?  Well, what if your electric bill is $2800 or $2900?  that only leaves 1-200 bucks to take care of everything else.

no i asked how can you verify the revenue based on the utility bills that has nothing to do with margins

what i mean to say is, if you want to figure out the margins well you can look up the specs on the machines and im sure they tell you how much water and electric they use and you can figure your margins out that way (at least thats what i'd do)

but my suspicion is you cant reverse engineer the revenue by looking at a utility bill because how could you tell if the owner wasnt just running the machines empty for months or leaving an open fridge plugged in the back room or something.

Why would the owner run the machines empty? It would only cost him money.......and while the lights may be old......the money in utilities will come from water and the power the machines use. Further forget the specs on the machines, the IRS has a formula they use to audit these things if you plug his numbers into that you should get a somewhat reasonable idea of what's going on.

Why would the owner run the machines empty? It would only cost him money.......and while the lights may be old......the money in utilities will come from water and the power the machines use. Further forget the specs on the machines, the IRS has a formula they use to audit these things if you plug his numbers into that you should get a somewhat reasonable idea of what's going on.

hmm thats interesting about the IRS formula i guess maybe washing machines all use some relatively standard amout of electric /water

as far as running the machines empty, i'm assuming the gross revenue was used to come up with the price of the business, if i was an unscrupulous owner working in an all cash business and i would just run the machines empty for several months before putting the business on the market. would it cost me money? yes, but i'd recoup it from the unsuspecting buyer anyway

I owned a laundry mat at one time made a ton of money

Your gas and water will be a LOT more than light bill

G-Vending

Why did you get out of the laundry mat business?  As most of you know, I want to own one when I grow up.

Thanks  B)

So you would run up the utility bills to show their wasnt much profit?....I dont understand your thought process. :huh: Or would you be trying to show it is doing alot of business?

i am saying if you wanted to increase your gross revenue figure artifically and the only way to verify it is by looking at the utility bills thanyou can just push those up by running the machines empty or other things

i would imagine if the tax returns match the utility bills pretty closely then its probably trustable because not many people would pay more tax than they absolutely had to.

G-Vending

Why did you get out of the laundry mat business?  As most of you know, I want to own one when I grow up.

Thanks  B)

The building my laundry was in was sold to a a$$hole and he forced me out of business..

There would have been no way I would have sold it I made a killing there,,Also did $125 week in soda and snacks

The building my laundry was in was sold to a a$$hole and he forced me out of business..

There would have been no way I would have sold it I made a killing there,,Also did $125 week in soda and snacks

was yours attended or unattended?

What about maintaining the equipment?  Who will fix them?  Are the parts expensive?  What is the life span of the equipment?  Will it need to be replaced soon?  If so, what is the equipment costs for brand new?

What about the landlord?  What are the lease terms?  Landlords can be real pricks and can destroy a business.  I have heard so many horror stories about landlords from my own accounts (especially the restaurant owners)  that I would never want to own a business unless I owned the building as well.

Do lots of homework on this one and if you rent watch out for the fine print on those leases.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to learn more about this. I'd be very hesitant to buy the business without the rights to the land under it.

I'd love to learn more about this. I'd be very hesitant to buy the business without the rights to the land under it.

Three golden rules for tenants.

Landlords are Pricks!

Landlords are Pricks!

Landlords are Pricks!

• 9 months later...

Archived