For the newbies - gettiing sales information and bill validator

Hello guys,

just recently bought 2 snack units and 1 soda machine. Just wondering how you guys do it to get your sales information. I usually just have my pen, paper and camera to record my ending and starting inventory. Any device that you guys from old road warriors? You easy/ hard it is to install bill validator?

Thanks,

PS (National Crane 157 and Automatic product 100)

Route cards or reports: Index or larger size note cards used to record all pertinent information about the particular servicing of a location’s vendors, such as the date, vendor number(s), amount of money collected, number of snacks and beverages sold, refund amounts disbursed, and quantity of products wasted.

You can design your route cards specific to your needs.

Account_________________________________ Date______________ Route / Driver________

Snack Put In: Chips______ Long Life______ Crackers______ Candy______ Pastry______  

Snacks Stales: Chips______ Long Life______ Crackers______ Candy______ Pastry______  

Money Pulled: ___________Refunds:_______________________________________________________

Notes: ________________________________________________________________________________

Bottles Put In: ______ Bottle Stales:  ______ Money Pulled: ___________Refunds_____________________

Notes: ________________________________________________________________________________

Cans Put In: ______ Can Stales:  ______ Money Pulled: ___________Refunds:______________________

Coffee: Coffee______ Creamer______ Creamer ______ Cappuccino______ Hot Choc.______

Other______   Money Pulled: ___________Refunds:____________________________________________

Bill Changer: ______ Money Pulled: __________ Refunds: _______________________________________

ISSUES:_______________________________________________________________________________

This was taken from my "How To Book" I am writing.  I have never used a camera but if it helps you then use it. Most guys dont have time to take pictures and such while working a route.

A validator usually can be changed by removing 4 screws and unplugubg a couple of wires. Each on is a little different but that will work for most of them.

Thanks RJT. I was hoping you guys use some gadget or device where you can just insert and later load to your pc for your sales information. Also, is there a faster way to load change(coins) in your machine? I'm basically inserting 1 coin at a time right now.

Really apologize for this silly questions.

Thanks

Thanks RJT. I was hoping you guys use some gadget or device where you can just insert and later load to your pc for your sales information. Also, is there a faster way to load change(coins) in your machine? I'm basically inserting 1 coin at a time right now.

Really apologize for this silly questions.

Thanks

ive seen some machines with audit functionality and an interface but honestly thats gonna take you more time than just writing it down.

i keep the machines filed to a certain level and just count how many it takes to put it back to that level maybe there is a better system i am new at this as well but that seems to be the easiest thing to do

Yes, their are a few "gadgets" called Vending Management Systems.  ;D One is DEX and another is  Cantaloupe Systems . Both are plug in style handhelds that record the data for each machine and then transfer the data to a computer. You also have other systems like Compuvend, etc. These are VERY Expensive and usually not worth the investment for just a few machines. Check into them if you like and se for yourself.

Even some of the larger companies still use the route card method. When I say "large" I am referring to companies that do 1 million and up in gross sales a year.

Dogcow is correct some machines can give you some data also from the key pad. You just go into that section of the control board (if it has it) and get the info. It usually is limited info but some machines have it. Not much detail but can show things like vend counts, etc.

I assume you are referring to loading change in a coin mech?? If so, yes their is a fast way to load them. It is hard to explain but you hold your palm flat and curl your fingers and shake the change into a row in your hand. Then you just titl your hand forward toward the coin tube and they just fall into the tube. Like I said hard to explain, easy to show and then takes a little practice to master.  ;)

I assume you are referring to loading change in a coin mech?? If so, yes their is a fast way to load them. It is hard to explain but you hold your palm flat and curl your fingers and shake the change into a row in your hand. Then you just titl your hand forward toward the coin tube and they just fall into the tube. Like I said hard to explain, easy to show and then takes a little practice to master.  ;)

As I was reading through the responses, in the back of my head, I was trying to figure out how to explain it.  I use the same method, but you explained it better.

As RJT said, those systems are very expensive, a DEX handheld system and software around 10K to jump in. The Cantaloupe system is an amazing system, for me the only drawback is the cloud computing part of it. I just have a hard time accepting that I'm not in control of information from my business. There is also some hardware to install in each machine which drives up the cost considerably if you have many machines. Not to mention any legacy equipment that can't be upgraded that has to be replaced, but that also goes for the DEX stuff as well.

for me the only drawback is the cloud computing part of it. I just have a hard time accepting that I'm not in control of information from my business.

well sorry to tell you but thats the way things are heading in the whole software industry you can thank the people who continued to steal software over the last 30 years for that, and all the chinese software counterfeiters. its really the only way software companies can make money now

Just to clarify. DEX is the transfer method (Data Exchange) and is not a software program. Cantaloupe, Streamware, Synectic use the DEX data and input it into their software. These all require a DEX port and DEX file to be polled. If you have old equipment without DEX capabilities you will either need to add a secondary board or replace it with a kit board. If you don't have DEX you can't use these systems.

Just to clarify. DEX is the transfer method (Data Exchange) and is not a software program. Cantaloupe, Streamware, Synectic use the DEX data and input it into their software. These all require a DEX port and DEX file to be polled. If you have old equipment without DEX capabilities you will either need to add a secondary board or replace it with a kit board. If you don't have DEX you can't use these systems.

do you know where the dex port would be typically located on a soda or snack machine ? also do you know if it is an open standard i cant seem to find a document on the standard anywhere online

regards

The dex port looks like an old style phono jack that would accept this plug images?q=tbn:jKNNkv51T4dxwM:b

They are usually located somewhere need the main pcb as they will plug into that somewhere. The key is some manufacturers supply the port and some have an optional dex cable that must be installed. This of course is only if the machine is capable of downloading the dex file.

The output of a raw dex file will give you the following type of information

http://www.technivend.com/manuals/ams/TechLinkDocs_Supported%20Dex%20Fields.pdf

As for as the actual file (it's been a while since I read a raw dex file) I believe it is a comma delimited file which is virtual garbage to the eye.

Another issue is that apparently all dex files are not created equal as there were issues as to what field some of the information was posted was not standardized which created issues when this technology first started gaining popularity.

The dex port looks like an old style phono jack that would accept this plug images?q=tbn:jKNNkv51T4dxwM:b

They are usually located somewhere need the main pcb as they will plug into that somewhere. The key is some manufacturers supply the port and some have an optional dex cable that must be installed. This of course is only if the machine is capable of downloading the dex file.

The output of a raw dex file will give you the following type of information

http://www.technivend.com/manuals/ams/TechLinkDocs_Supported%20Dex%20Fields.pdf

As for as the actual file (it's been a while since I read a raw dex file) I believe it is a comma delimited file which is virtual garbage to the eye.

Another issue is that apparently all dex files are not created equal as there were issues as to what field some of the information was posted was not standardized which created issues when this technology first started gaining popularity.

when you say its garbage, you mean  its a binary file? or its readable if you were to know the field translation? also what i was more asking is there is some protocol to query the interface or if you plug in an open serial connection it just dumps out the data ?

For someone just starting out that does not want to invest a fortune in a 'DEX' system or anything like it, recording the 'gross sales' number that is recorded in almost all snack and soda machines is quite sufficient.  Next week subtract the gross sales number from the past weeks number to figure out your gross sales for the week.   All the machines you serviced that day numbers should add up to the coins and bills you collected that day.  Thats the system I use for all my machines (120 plus)

Alternatively, bag your coins and bills from each machine separately as you service the machine.  Write down the machine and stop name on the bag.  Then count them up at the end of the day.  Not as efficient as the above method, but I know I guy with a $400k gross route that does just this.  

Neither of us keep a running inventory count in the machines and don't really see a need to do this.  As you build your route and service it week after week you will learn about how much product to order or purchase.   You will learn to order more sodas and other items during 'hot spells' and cut back during the winter 'blahs' where soda sales are cut in half or worse in some machines.  (Especially outdoors like many of mine!)

Personally I think all the information collected in a DEX system is great, but MANY, MANY of my competitors fail to use it to any significant advantage.    This business is much more about service  and as long as you personally are running the route, then you can out 'service' most of your bigger competitors who have much poorer customer service since they have less motivated 'route guys' servicing the machines on their routes.   The big guys talk big about their 'tracking and monitoring systems' but in the end it all comes down to service and the owner/operator can kick the big guys asses in that area as soon as they have a little experience under their belts.  

willisNYC speaks the truth of the matter. While I suggest strong accounting he is 100% correct. Like I said many of the larger operators use the simple route cards and individual money bags for each machine. IMO the only people that get their money worth out of systems are the large companies that do a few million. Companies that size can take advantage of pre kitting for efficiency  and such. Plus they use vending systems more so for accountability, spoilage, etc. They are so large they cant micro-manage all their accounts and depend on honest efficient route drivers.

I f you are doing it yourself you will not have to worry about that stuff because you will make sure the money is accounted for, spoilage is at a minimum and order and stock what your customers like

It is a data stream/file that would take more time to read then to do it the way Willis suggests. As far as initializing the file and which fields are supported depend on the make and model of the machine.

Here is a nice read http://www.allbusiness.com/technology/computer-software-data-management/955648-1.html

I have a format that i got from a demo of some vending software it printed route sheets somewhat like this

A1  PRODUCT - LAST COUNT - CURRENT - ADDED - NEW COUNT

A3  PRODUCT - LAST COUNT - CURRENT - ADDED - NEW COUNT

A5  PRODUCT - LAST COUNT - CURRENT - ADDED - NEW COUNT

A7  PRODUCT - LAST COUNT - CURRENT - ADDED - NEW COUNT

B1  PRODUCT - LAST COUNT - CURRENT - ADDED - NEW COUNT

ECT.

I also took a vend count and sales count reading from the key pad.

I'll have to find the file and upload it for you to see

It is a data stream/file that would take more time to read then to do it the way Willis suggests. As far as initializing the file and which fields are supported depend on the make and model of the machine.

Here is a nice read http://www.allbusiness.com/technology/computer-software-data-management/955648-1.html

yeah i agree its not worth the time on a small route i'm interested because it seems like there would be a market for software in the sub 10k range ,i bet there are a lot of operators out there who would love to have these kind of systems but are in between the very small operators like myself and ones large enough to justify a 10k system. handheld computers are pretty much a commodity now i cant see how they justify the price

• 7 months later...

yeah i agree its not worth the time on a small route i'm interested because it seems like there would be a market for software in the sub 10k range ,i bet there are a lot of operators out there who would love to have these kind of systems but are in between the very small operators like myself and ones large enough to justify a 10k system. handheld computers are pretty much a commodity now i cant see how they justify the price

Amen! You would think by now they would have an iPhone app for this!

Amen! You would think by now they would have an iPhone app for this!

what i didnt understand when i wrote the post,which i understand now

you have to upgrade the machines to dex. in older equipment this is probably not worth it and many times not possible

Archived