How do you transport your machines?

I have purchased a couple glass front beverage machines in the past. I used a pickup and a pallet jack. It was a real pain dealing with such a heavy machine especially getting it off the truck. I just bought another and the seller is going to deliver it on his trailer.

I'm curious how everyone else transports them. What do you use to get them on location.

I'm hoping you had a liftgate to get it to the ground. ;D

I have a guy that does all my moves for me and he uses the same thing, a pickup and a pallet jack. I don't think it really makes much difference, moving anything that size and weight is always going to be a challenge. As you do more moves you will learn over time little tricks and leverage points that will makes it easier but you still have a couple of guys that weigh 150-200 lbs trying to push an 800 lb machine around.

Until someone invents a portable levitation device moving machines will always suck. :P

I hope your not talking about one of those ramps that is about 12 feet long and slides out from under the box of a truck.

Oh lordy!  I'm with you prince!!!    I used a dolly and thought I was going to die getting our side by side Fridge in one of those trucks!

There is no way he could do that, the machine would topple over wouldn't it?

Spend the money on renting a truck or trailer. It will be well worth it. Trying to use one of the ramps is going to get someone hurt REALLY REALLY REALLY bad, or worse we will read about on the Darwin Awards website.

I cannot stress this enough those ramps are not desogned for that kind of weight. Machine and two guys is easily 1000lbs. If the ramp doesn`t fold up like wet cardboard the macine will wobble and tip over and if  someone has to die trying this fools errand I hope its not an innocent bystander trying to help.

I agree with you about the ramp idea being a bit risky. Luckily, the last 2 machines I bought have been delivered to me on the sellers trailer.

I obviously the lift gate is the preferred method. I also like the trailer that lowers to the ground. I have seen them at local rental stores but they usually have a scissor lift on them. I wasn't sure if they rented them out seperately.

Has anyone used the "vending machine" dollies?

FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK. I HAVE A UTILITY TRAILER  I USE TO MOVE  MACHINES WITH  ADDED A FLAT PIECE OF METAL ON LIP SO I CAN ROLL  SODA OR SNACK MACHINES THAT DONT HAVE LEGS RIGHT ON THERE  I USUALL TAKE SEATS OUT OF MY ASTRO VAN TO HAUL MACHINES WITH LEGS..

I had to more 4 electronic combos (800lbs) and I rented a heavy duty appliance dolly with the extra set of wheels that comes out to balance it.  Wow! that was a back saver compared to regular appliance dolly I typically use. 

Best $35 I've spent in a while.

Michael

I had a guy bring me a snack machine on his trailer. He had a pretty cool heavy duty looking setup to pickup the machine. There were two parts that were strapped to each side of the machine. They had hydraulic jacks built into the setup so the machine could be raised up off its legs and then the 3 wheels on the bottom of the thing would easily roll the machine around. Its hard to explain so I am trying to find a picture of one.

pbuckler you are talking about safe dollies. They were originally designed to move big safes. I have seen them used and they work great for soda machines but get ready to shell out some cash for them. We use the bigger appliance dollies with the kick out back wheels. Paid 350.00 for our first one and it is the best 350.00 we ever spent. Just a precaution there are two types. Ones with the big wheels in the front and smaller wheels on the kick out part. There is also a model that reverses that and the small wheels are on the front and the bigger wheels in the back. The small wheels in the front model is much better. Easier to tilt the machine back and it keeps the height of the machine lower for going thru doors.

movers in my area charge 60-100... rent a truck if you r moving more than 1 machine...Budget is best 75-85 incl. gas for the day...  get a small width pallet jack from fork lift co.  bout 150 used

movers in my area charge 60-100... rent a truck if you r moving more than 1 machine...Budget is best 75-85 incl. gas for the day...  get a small width pallet jack from fork lift co.  bout 150 used

Do you use the ramp on the Budget truck.

no ...Budget doesnt have ramps..  least i havent seen the ones that do....open up a commercial account that way the fuel mileage is very much less  from .35  to .12 commercial charge...the ones i use are the mid size trucks with lift gates

I have paid a local vendor $75, rented a trailer with a ramp and after reading here I have been renting trucks with lift gates.

If I need to move 1 machine I'll pay the guy, if it is a few machines I get the truck and a few friends

no ...Budget doesnt have ramps..  least i havent seen the ones that do....open up a commercial account that way the fuel mileage is very much less  from .35   to .12 commercial charge...the ones i use are the mid size trucks with lift gates

I didn't know that I could get a commercial account and save on mileage. I will look into that.