Getting Started

jgoldenmba

I'll be interested to see responses.

I've only been doing vending for a short time. I found my first location in a marketing firm, and possibly buying another machine and location tomorrow. I'm trying to avoid any loans so its slower going than some other vending businesses. I have a day job, so i'm just reinvesting all of my profits.

How is the snack machine coming along?

What type is it? Did you buy new or used?

It's coming along decently, but i'm banking on sales increasing in the coming months. Their last vendor was pretty bad apparently.

I can't remember the model off the top of my head, but its fairly basic. Coinco bill acceptor, and coin mech. I bought it for $400 off of craigslist.

My only complaint is having to pull some chips because of the "best used by date", but that should improve once I acquire more machines, and cycle product faster.

how did you move the machine?

Are you paying a commission?

A beefy friend, appliance dolly and a truck w/ a small trailer. I know a lot of vendors will rent lift gate trucks, and narrow pallet jacks however. It's something you'd definitely want a friend to help you out with.

No commission on this account. Their previous vendor was actually charging them money, so they were happy to just have a well stocked machine. I don't think i'd offer commission unless a client asked me about it.

I'll tell my story.

I bought my route ( 2 locations, 1 with just a snack machine and one with 1 soda and 1 snack ) from a lady on CL about 2 months ago. She let me meet her at the locations and showed me how to fill the product and pull out money. While i never counted the money with her i could roughly tell that her numbers had to be close.

After 2 months I have to say that Im happy with my purchase and learn something new everyweek. I keep records for each machine and whenever something crazy comes up I jump on here and ask questions. This forum is a God send for sure.

I'll tell my story.

I bought my route ( 2 locations, 1 with just a snack machine and one with 1 soda and 1 snack ) from a lady on CL about 2 months ago. She let me meet her at the locations and showed me how to fill the product and pull out money. While i never counted the money with her i could roughly tell that her numbers had to be close.

After 2 months I have to say that Im happy with my purchase and learn something new everyweek. I keep records for each machine and whenever something crazy comes up I jump on here and ask questions. This forum is a God send for sure.

similar story to his, would not recommend doing that, talk to RJT for good advice on starting out, wish i had talked to him beforehand

I have only been doing it since March.  I started with buying one soda machine for $900 already  on a location then went from there.  I think the best way to start is to buy a small route say 8-10 machines that are making money and already have a good history at the account.  I really dont like doing it one machine at a time but sometimes thats all you can do if small routes are not available.  From here on out my plan is to add a location here or there but really look at small routes making 20-30k to grow. 

I started in Dec 2009 

Bought  10 4head bulk machines  then sold 3 of them for full return on ten I purchased.

I saved up and then bought a soda & snack location for $1200 in May.  He was moving and threw in box dozen coin mechs and old pepsi machine just needed one part.  That be paid for next month.

Just got new account has  5 machines.  Had pepsi machine. Then found another can machine on CL and found vendor that selling his old equipment.  Bought snack & coffee for $1700  And  third party Dr.Pepper glass front bottle.  I will have everything paid for within 6 months and then plan expand my bulk route and look into routes to buy.