Customer service

jgoldenmba

Long ago I had 22 bulk machines and had to sell them when I changed colleges.

Now I'm in sales that involve a route but it's not vending. It's business to business sales in retail within a set territory.

I read a post on this board about customer service. One idea, or perspective I can share that has made worlds of difference in my business is not as much customer service as it is customer attention. My retailers live in their stores. Some seven days a week, all day. Talking to them for 10 minutes about anything outside those walls, something completely unrelated to their business will differentiate you 100%. Ask them about their family, their favorite sports team, anything that will take their mind off what it's already on 24/7.

Customer service is important, don't get me wrong. All else equal, their loyalty will be with you if they like you.

I will agree with this to a certain degree. I have been is sales most of my life in vending as well as other forms. Customers liking you is only a small portion of it. We have treated customers like gold and always chatted with them about this and that and thought we "knew" them. I always say if you dont go to church with them or drink beer with them they are a “customer” and you work for them. They will kick you out if you are not careful. Even the church friend or beer drinking buddy might would do it under the right circumstances.

One company I worked,  our large accounts we feed them free at least once a year. We even would feed all our small accounts once a year at our annual customer appreciation day event. We set this up in a common area for most our customers and invited all of them to attend. We even did to go boxes for the ones that could not participate. Guess what? We still had customers drop us as a vending company. We had one customer come to our feeding and then a week later kick us out.  Why? Because someone offered them cheaper prices, equipment they didnt deserve, etc. It does happen and nothing you can do about it.  

However, I will say this, the "friendship" approach may save you a few times when you stump your toe but in the end they most likely will kick you out if service level suffers, equipment failures, or someone offers them cheaper prices or added equipment.

Don’t get me wrong, nothing wrong with getting to know your customers and try and get more on a personal level.  It helps for sure to have this type of relationship but do not depend on it. Vending is a service industry and people expect good service at a fair price. Out of 100 customers maybe 5 would be "loyal". The other 95 will kick you out if they need or want to.

Don’t get me wrong, nothing wrong with getting to know your customers and try and get more on a personal level.  It helps for sure to have this type of relationship but do not depend on it. Vending is a service industry and people expect good service at a fair price. Out of 100 customers maybe 5 would be "loyal". The other 95 will kick you out if they need or want to.

Agreed,

I've said it before, this is a service industry and as such we are destined to lose every account we have at some point. It could be for any number of reasons, some already mentioned. Business locations close, move, new ownership etc.

Even doing everything right you are subject to losing an account on the day a decision maker loses his dollar and someone happens to stop by on a cold call and leaves his card promising "new" vending equipment.

By getting to know your customers you can keep your accounts for a longer time period because people typically don't like to "fire" their friends, but when they do don't take it personally, continue to be professional and move on.

Agreed,

I've said it before, this is a service industry and as such we are destined to lose every account we have at some point. It could be for any number of reasons, some already mentioned. Business locations close, move, new ownership etc.

Even doing everything right you are subject to losing an account on the day a decision maker loses his dollar and someone happens to stop by on a cold call and leaves his card promising "new" vending equipment.

By getting to know your customers you can keep your accounts for a longer time period because people typically don't like to "fire" their friends, but when they do don't take it personally, continue to be professional and move on.

Yep!! Leave as professional as you came in and NEVER burn a bridge. I go as far as sending them a thank you card for the time they allowed me to do their vending.

I have gotten accounts back within a few months because they saw the grass was not so green on the other side.

Yep!! Leave as professional as you came in and NEVER burn a bridge. I go as far as sending them a thank you card for the time they allowed me to do their vending.

I have gotten accounts back within a few months because they saw the grass was not so green on the other side.

Ditto here.

The best part of that call back back is that you will really have to screw up big time to lose it again. ;D

Yes it is all about service.  That's how I gained my new account.  Driver wasn't friendly and cut corners and machine kept breaking.  And manager never had his favorite pop in machine.  I'm a rookie and this account was 2 months in the working.  60 employees 2 buildings  5 machines.  I have never seen a coffee machine until 2 months ago.  I found guy in town selling used machines.  And had repair man program for me.  Well moved it in and  SURPRISE....  All the timing was off.  Dad & myself work other jobs.  Business opens early  so 2 days this week we were up @ 4am there by 5 making sure coffee was working testing it and handing out free cups we test.  They asked if I was owner and I be servicing the machines.  It  is all about open honest communication.  Most people I have done business with are very understanding.  So I think  Open Communication  is the key.