Opinions on getting credit/debit card option for combo machines please?

XLR8

There are three reasons why I like that option:

1. Possibly more transactions and more items purchased per transaction.

2. Remote Monitoring: I'd like to know what needs stocked and where before I go out on the route. I believe it works that way from what I've read so far. If so, that would save time and money in my "noobie" opinion.

3. A competitive edge: From what I've seen out in the field, most of the machines from other vendors don't have this option and they may have good reason. So, when speaking with business owners I can discuss how this provides an additional convenience for their employees/customers and allows me to provide even better service.

I know I'll pay for hardware up front, pay per transaction and have a monthly fee of $10-$15 for the wireless connection.

Since I'm new, I don't have the view on this like you experienced veterans out there have.

I appreciate your opinions/knowledge on this topic.

Have you spoken to someone on their site?

It looks like the credit card acceptor is $199.

The hardware for the credit card and the eport for remote monitoring is $349.

Also,

It says the credit card machine goes in the opening for the coin or bill validator??? do you have to no longer accept one or the other?

Not yet.  They were closed but will next week.  Yeah I saw that...sounds right because I wanted to see if the $349 eport is needed too for the monitoring. So, if so, it would be $549 per machine. I don't think it would be either or...guess it depends on the machine. I'm looking at the "Futura" from "eVending" (Wittern) and believe it will have both cash and cc.

Not yet.  They were closed but will next week.  Yeah I saw that...sounds right because I wanted to see if the $349 eport is needed too for the monitoring. So, if so, it would be $549 per machine. I don't think it would be either or...guess it depends on the machine. I'm looking at the "Futura" from "eVending" (Wittern) and believe it will have both cash and cc.

your location has to do enough volume to pay back the machine + the pos device (cc acceptor) + service fee before you even see a dime, thats ignoring loss from spoilage. if you have that type of location you will be filling a combo machine every day or more, i would think.

I currently have 5 units with USAT an looking at adding another 5 in the next couple of months. I currently use the minimum monthly fee that provides CC and cash sales. You will wind up paying around .10 per transaction plus the monthly fee. So if you are not doing a large volume you will have to raise your prices to make any money. The higher the avg vend price the lower the fee, if you avg less than 1.00 per transaction you will get killed on the fees. A bag of Doritos 1 oz will cost you around .22-.24, add a fee of .05 -.10, subtract sales tax (.03 -.05), on a .60 vend you make .21-.30, and that's before any monthly fees, commissions, debt service, vehicle expenses, repairs and paying your self for your time.

I'm not telling you not to, just pointing out it will make it harder to make $$ with it.

All of my units are on drink machines where I sell premium products that get a better price, $1.50-$2.00 or more in many cases.

I also use USA Tech.  I have 6 of their units (2 on drinks, 2 on snacks, 1 on frozen and 1 on fresh).  Either device will provide you with the services that you are looking for.  If I remember correctly, the only difference between the two units is that the more expensive one allows you to accept the zip cards (no contact creditcards).

Monthly fees are not too awful, but it's something that you have to consider.  I would say that approx 10% of my sales are through creditcards....however the fresh food machine is killing me.  I don't have that much sales from this machine at all, but was required for the location.

They easily install in a DBV validator slot alot of the newer machines have an extra slot so you don't have to lose the capabilities to accept bills....or you can always just "surface" mount the unit and keep the bill acceptor (which is what I've done on several of my units).  Basically this entails you drilling 5 holes on the front panel of your machine, securing the eport to the pay panel door and routing cables to it.  All in all, a very clean installation.

Travis

Here is what you have to look at. First cashless is a great add on to certain machine in certain locations. I think they work best in large accounts such as hospitals and colleges. Yes, they would help generate more sales.

Here is where I think you are looking at it wrong. A combo machine IMO is good for two things, first is a satellite location in a larger account away from a main break room. Lets say it is in a college and one of the requirements is to have a machine in the office area but you are limited on space. Then a combo machine is fine. Second thing a combo machine is good for is for people wanting to do their own vending in a small location garage, beauty shop, etc. Do vendors do these type of locations and use combo machines? Yes, but they are very low volume for the most part and your large operators do not and will not do them.

If a location is worth doing vending in then it will run you to death trying to keep a combo machine serviced and full. If not, to me it does not do enough volume to mess with at all. IMO, the expense of cashless system does not make sense for a combo machine.

So in short a cashless  system on a combo machine is like putting parachute on a car. While both are nice to have and serve a purpose together they don’t make much sense.

I hope what I said makes sense .

Have you already purchased the combo units and is this something they are going to add onto your package.  If you have not purchased the units you might want to take a look at buying full size machines.  Combos are designed for smaller locations with a limited volumn. 

Bev

Thank you so very much everybody!  I have not purchased any equipment yet.  And to think I thought combos were my best/only way to start...boy do I have a lot to learn...even if they're right in some places (thanks RJT and Poplady1! - love that name  :D).  Thanks to mission vending, dogcow and Sparta too...I appreciate the way you stated your replies...gives me more to think on for the cc/debit option as well as combo machines. 

Honestly, I'm about 2-4 months out from starting.  I'm thinking about starting out with 3-5 machines (not too big just in case I don't like it but big enough to make sure I'm committed to success rather than failure - at least that's the way I'm looking at it now).  My definition of "liking it" is dependent more upon the business just showing signs of growth/potential over time rather than how much money I make right away.  I know it will take time and feel that the business is right for me for many reasons.

So, yeah this is bit long but felt like I needed to share this with you guys. 

I knew I had to start seeing things from your point of view rather than my own of course.  What a neat community of folks here that are willing to share and help.  I appreciate you all very much.  Aaron 

One thing I have seen many times over the years I've been in this business is someone dipping their toes in the water and then getting discouraged by the amount of out of date issues and resulting lost profits. The end result is that after a year or so they are gone.

IMO, and it's just that my opinion, I feel that it's best to get enough machines to reach critical mass. That is, enough machines and volume that will allow you to move enough product that you can get most of it sold before it goes out of date on you. That might be 3-5 machines or 10-15 depending on the type of locations you get.

Just something to consider.

• 9 months later...

Archived