Hiring help to manage routes

imperialv

I had a question about hiring help. I just got a new job that will now take up most of the morning and daytime hours so some accounts I will not be able to service because they will be closed when I get off of work. What is the best way to go about servicing these accounts? Should I just hire someone to run the entire route or just the few machines I will not be able to get to? Im more concerned about the best way to handle expansion while working FT for now

Obviously the less you pay out in payroll the more you have for expansion. In your case you will need to find someone willing to work the hours you have available. If you can`t find someone willing to work only those locations you can`t get to then you will have to put some of the locations you plan to service personally on the table to offer more hours to find a better candidate.

i know theft is a big issue when you start to hire someone to run your route. Besides keeping a tight inventory book do they have any type of locking device that I can use to lock the bill validator and coin box? I know one of my Coke machines has a cover over the area where the coins drop into the box. Has anyone tried doing this?

i know theft is a big issue when you start to hire someone to run your route. Besides keeping a tight inventory book do they have any type of locking device that I can use to lock the bill validator and coin box? I know one of my Coke machines has a cover over the area where the coins drop into the box. Has anyone tried doing this?

Take frequent machine readings and make your driver take them as well. Then let him know you are checking up on him. Never hurts to let em know that you are checking. The bigger routes where the management and ownership don't follow up enough is where the biggest fraud occurs. I took over a hotel snack machine from a larger company with over 30 drivers and routes. They thought the machine was doing no more than $30/week. It averages over $85/week for me. I was able to observe the machine when the big company had it and saw that it had decent sales. (Empty columns) Driver fraud is the only answer I can come up with to explain the difference. I have since learned that the management of this company rarely goes 'into the field' to check up on their drivers....draw your own conclusions.

Take frequent machine readings and make your driver take them as well. Then let him know you are checking up on him.

That's the key. Accountability. Most people are generally honest but if they know or even think nobody is watching then watch out.

That's the key. Accountability. Most people are generally honest but if they know or even think nobody is watching then watch out.

Couldn't agree more. In any business you always have to be looking for ways to increase accountability, because some people are very good at finding ways around it.

Archived