New Interactive Gumball machne project

dperry

I've decided that I wanted to start using interactive machines.  I've also decided that I don't want to pay tons of money to buy interactive machine.  I want to do something like Simon does with his custom made interactive games.  I also like to putz around in my garage workshop and make things, so I figured this would be the perfect project.  So I'm starting this thread as a sort of blog to document my progress.

I only just got started so there's not much to show.  I created basic box out of 5/8" particle board.  It is 24" long by 14" wide and it's 6 5/8" in the back where the machines are mounted.  I used some 1/4" plywood for the play surface.

My plan is to make a pin-ball type game, with left and right flippers.  However I don't have any plans to make a pull rod to shoot the ball into the play field.  The ball will just drop from the machine at the top back of the play field.

Here's where I need some creative input.  I don't want to make it like a sports blaster where there are 4 holes in the play field where the player aims to score in the highest hole and then have the game be over.  I'd like to have some targets, maybe some bicycle bells or some spinners or something like that.  The game play will end when the player misses the ball and it falls past the flippers.  Otherwise, the game play can go on for as long as the player can make it last.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what I should add?

Cool concept!  Just wanted to share what I saw on my route one location that has a race car game with the spring loaded hammer that hits the gumballs.  A gumball exploded and jammed the machine up and  made the owner mad  The manager also complain the machine was broken months before but I think he misunderstood how it worked.

Make one machine a 27mm bouncy ball.25 cents and the other a 32 mm at 50 cents  Also make a little hammer the makes a  desktop bell  ring inside when they push the levers or hit a target.    you could make a little paddle wheel that spins in the center when the ball hits it.

Well that is my 25 cents worth or maybe 2 cents.

I want to make it so that it will take up to two different machines.  I'm thinking one for gumballs and one for bouncy balls.  Might be interesting to do 2-for-1 gumballs in one and 50c bouncy balls in the other.

I have some more pix from my project.  I took some video with my phone camera, but it came out crappy.  I'll have to find a better camera.

I've been spending a lot of time and energy tweaking the flipper mechs.  They aren't behaving the way I had imagined.  I've added rubber bands to help pull the flipper back down, and it looks like the push rod can extend too far so I have to put a rubber band on that to pull it back and to add a screw to it to make it stop and not extend too far.

The ball play is not too energetic as I had hoped.  I've tried both 27mm bouncy balls and gumballs.  The gumballs give a better play since they are harder.  The bouncy balls have more friction and therefore don't fly around as much.

Right now, it's a good game project, but I wouldn't use it to put into a busy location.  I'll have to redo the flippers.  I'll prolly have to make the push rods out of metal rod or tubing, and add a spring so I can get rid of the rubber bands.  I think it would be nice to use some sort of block of nylon or other some low friction plastic for the flippers.

Maybe consider having just one baseball bat type of lever in the middle rather than two flippers.  Less maintenance and time to produce and one less thing to break.  Plus kids could probably get more energy behind the bat and make a more livelier ball.

dperry:

I think you need to get more  leverage. If you can figure out how multiply your input force from your buttons your play should be better. Your pivot to push button center line looks a bit short to me.