small snack machine,which one??

I was contacted by a location today that wants a snack machine because the current guy isn`t takeing care of it,it`s always empty.the machine that is in there now has no brand anywhere,and I cant get to the back of it for now.it has 17 selections,no dollar acceptor and a coinco changer that doesnt even have a slot for quarters.I have the option of buying the guy out,he contacted me in the past but I wasnt ready back then but now since most of the selections will be the same as my vendo m and m m candy bar machine, it makes sense to take on this location since I would only have to stock about 3 extra things,and kick out/theft/damage probablities are next to zero.it has an a and b button and the numbers for the selections.all prices are set at 55 cents and the location says that the guy told them the prices cant be changed.I know a picture would help but can any of you guess what kind of machine it is and how to change prices on it?I will provide a pic tomorrow.in the off chance that the machines prices really cant be changed what small machine could I buy to put there.I am wanting a machine thats reliable mainly with parts still available.thanks!!

It kind of sounds like on old Tom's machine, does it have shelves for the selections?

Personally I wouldn't even consider buying a machine that old. Look for a good used 3 wide, they are kind of hard to find at times and as a result might be more than a 4 wide.

You might also consider some of the older USI glassfront snack machine series ( I know not the best brand, but they are servicable), the GF19 and GF23, there are shorter in stature than a standard machine. Parts are still available and they seem to be a little easier to find. I've still got several still out in the field, as a matter of fact moved one to a new home today, they are pretty decent machines for a low volume account like that one.

wow that was fast mission!!the machine you sugested is pretty reliable?ease of serviceing isnt a big issue since I hang at this mechanics shop to shoot the breeze with the guys, and I CAN service while I chat.it has 3 shelves and of course differant size spirals for differant product.

also I agree that buying an old machine isnt a great move but it is already there and works fine,for now but I cant figure out the price adjustment,I pushed the red button on the control board and all it would do once I entered a selection is give me the current price,which is only good for chips at best.if the guy takes 1-200 bucks for it I would rather go that route for now and upgrade next year while I look for a suitable machine.I think the location is good and will need a better machine since it is always sold out.if he wants more then 200 bucks I will get a differasnt machine.

wow that was fast mission!!the machine you sugested is pretty reliable?ease of serviceing isnt a big issue since I hang at this mechanics shop to shoot the breeze with the guys, and I CAN service while I chat.it has 3 shelves and of course differant size spirals for differant product.

I've still got three of them in the field all made between 1995-1998 and each has at least 50K in sales on the meter, the only real problem I've had with mine is I've had a couple of boards zapped when the ballast on the light went out, which happens on other equipment as well. I also lost a LED display board on one, don't know why. I don't like the metal shelves on them, but again, for a low volume account you ought to be able to find one for a few hundred so you should be able to make your money back pretty quick.

iT SOUNDS LIKE A pOLYVEND.tRY PUSHING THE RED SERVICE BUTTON THEN RELEASE THE BUTTON AND PUSH A SELECTION BUTTON oops, had the cap lock on without realizing,anyhoo hold the selection button in and tha price should start raising by 5 cents at a time,release the button and push again and the price should start dropping.When you're done push the red button again to return to sales mode.I think ;D

John

thanks for the reply guys.anderson you were right I went to the location and tried what  you said and it worked.the owner now said that he wont decide what to do till next week because he may try to get it himself.I pointed out that if he does that machine will be empty all the time  like the double he owns 3 feet away from the snack machine.I think I can talk him into it but we will see.

thanks for the reply guys.anderson you were right I went to the location and tried what  you said and it worked.the owner now said that he wont decide what to do till next week because he may try to get it himself.I pointed out that if he does that machine will be empty all the time  like the double he owns 3 feet away from the snack machine.I think I can talk him into it but we will see.

You just pointed out to him that he is a failure at vending, now you will never get the deal.  ;D ;D ;D

You just pointed out to him that he is a failure at vending, now you will never get the deal.   ;D ;D ;D

he is a buddy of mine and he had a big vending route years ago and he knows I am right.sometimes it takes people a bit to accept reality.I thoughgt he would be impressed that in a day I was able to figure out how to change the price(thanks to you guys)but he is being stuborn.I am fairly certain I will get the location with or without the pos machine,even if I have to bribe the guy with pizza.as much as I value your advice I think I am going to offer the guy 100 bucks for the machine that cant have prices changed and hope we can settle at 150 and be done with it,no moveing or looking for machines,and use this one till it is ready for scrap.he doesnt know I figured it out. unless the location tells him,and they wont since they dont want him there either it seems ,they want product they can buy available all the time not just when he can get to it every other month.he also has machines in the county courthouse that he probably neglects more then this machine since they are 12 miles away in the direction of my biggest route.I am going to point out to him that he can sell me the machines for a bargain or he can  take them home and they can collect dust for him.I am going to get both of his accounts,I cant stand and watch anymore  while these potentially steady locations are basicly abondoned,instead of putting new shoes on my kids feet.I know the sheriff personally and once I figure out what the autoshop want to do I will go to him,possibly with new machines to make the offer more apealing,or offer commisssion

• 3 weeks later...

this didnt go as planed.the owners wife bought the machine from the guy for $100,they also got a soda machine too.she came by my house and wanted me to fix her machines for her.I told her I could help on the soda machines(I have no intrest and they have had an older one there for years that is thiers),but I told her I dont know how to work the snack machine.I told her I could fix the pop machine since I know a tiny bit on those,after a quick look I saw she had no change in the machine,I put coins in it and it now works.I told her to sell the snack machine to me if she gets tired of it.her employees say they wont buy anything from the machines because they hate her,but I know how that goes after a couple of weeks imo they will give in.if not I still may get the location.

the judge came in for dinner tonite and told me he will see if they have a machine still in the court house.if they dont I will need to talk to the sherriff who I also know and see what he says.if he says no I will offer commisssion or I will make a big donation to the annual blanket drive he holds every year.not getting the other location is makeing me want this other one more.I figure a courthouse should be a decent location right??

If its in the basement and nobody knows about it then no it won`t be good. By that I mean it needs to be visible.

lol ok thanks for the advice!I meant more like do you have a similar location and how does it do?if I get the location I probably would get a new machine since it`s unlikely I would get the boot,do you agree with this move or go refurb?reliabilty is my main concern.

• 2 weeks later...

I did get the ok for the snack machine at the courthouse.the machine that is there is a turd mostly empty and full of stick it notes asking for refunds.turns out they have to walk across the street half a block away for drinks.I know you guys hate combo machines but it seems that because of space and my estimation of volume it my be the best choice.should I say forget the combo and just go with a snack machine?when I asked the ladies they seemed positive about soda and snacks!.

I've got nothing like it to compare with. I can add though if you can get near the area where potential jurors wait while serving on jury duty it will do really well. I just did jury duty a few weeks ago and the machines there were obviously needing to be serviced daily.

I've got some of the older USI and one of the new versions no complaints with either of them.

I also bought 5 AMS combo machines earlier this year, not quite as big as the USI stuff, in terms of dimensions. The AMS machines seem to work better when doing bottles instead of cans. IMO either would be fine, whichever you can find a better deal on.

Archived