My stand project!

bostonvendor27

If you didn't want to mess with soldering or welding - would something like thread lock or JB Weld make a secure enough connection to prevent any movement of the joints ??

I think that red lock-tite is suppose to be "permanent". I haven't tried it in a stand application but in other places I have used it it was pretty tough to take apart.

Any ideas on other ways to make the base out of, instead of an old stand.. ?...

Many venders like myself who started out with charity machines on pipe stands, then moved to toy racks, find that they have an abundance of pipe stands laying around. Those stands are then hard to sell because of the high cost of shipping. Making the J-stands out of pipe stands is just a way to repurpose the pipe stands into something more useful. Making a J-Stand out of a pipe stands would not be my first choice for making a rack. So, if you do not have a pipe stand with which to make this J-stand, I would not try to make one from scratch.

If you are looking for a cheaper way to make rack stands, then I would check out my wooden stand projects that I had posted elsewhere in this forum. Of course, those projects require lots of other equipment like table saws, drills, routers, etc, so I can understand if such projects would also be unavailable to some people.

However, for those that do have access to such equipment, I have found that making wooden stands is much cheaper on material costs than this modified J-stand. The cost of the parts to make a 1" pipe stand into a 4-way J-Stand (not including the initial cost of the pipe stand itself) is about $20-$30. I can make 3 or 4 wooden racks for that same amount of money.

But, to answer your question, some people on this forum have used large wooden planks as a base. You can get some 1" thick, 16" cut wooden rounds at Lowes or Home Depot. Get a flange to fit your pipe and use screws to fasten into the wooden round, and voila! One stand base.

i have not been able to find or buy the pipe stands around here in ny.

where do you get the stands?

I've always gotten my stands from internet stores. Amerivend was my favorte, while they were still around. You could get a pipe stand with delivery for $28 total. I haven't seen any place that sells them that cheap anymore.

Your best bet is to buy off of CL or eBay. Even if you can find some deals with some very cheap machines, if you can get the cheap machines on pipe stands for $25 or so, you will be golden. Just take of the cheap machine and put on one of your machines.

Archived