My stand project!

bostonvendor27

Here is a project I've been working on that I wanted to share with everyone. If you have a little time and ability this is a cheep and easy way to make a double stand into a small rack.  Keep in mind that I'm still in the early production of this  so this is not the finished product.

Here is what you will need: All of this was bought at Lowe's in the plumbing section minus the stand and extra plate.

1. one 24'' pipe stand with double plate

2. one extra double plate

3. 2- 6''L x 1'' diameter threaded pipe $ 3

4. 1'' 90 degree fitting  $3. 50

5. 1''  T- fitting   $3.14

Tools: Pipe wrenches, level, and what ever you use to secure your plates ( bolts or screws)

Once you have built the stand and leveled and lined up everything you must  make sure that the fittings will not come lose , for this I am going to try  soldering the joints but if that doesn't work  I will have to weld them.  Finally paint the stand black and mount your machines.

post-2003-129433942636_thumb.jpg

post-2003-129433942664_thumb.jpg

post-2003-129433942693_thumb.jpg

post-2003-129433942722_thumb.jpg

post-2003-12943394274_thumb.jpg

Yes  Like I said I still have some kinks to work out .I'm working on adjusting that. I did a test and filled all the heads with bouncy balls and it stayed pretty sturdy. If figured that would be the most weight you would put in there.

I'm going to try using a shorter piece of pipe on the bottom stand  to bring it closer to the center.  I will be using this for toys only.

Thats why this site is the best!!! We can all help eachother.    Stay tuned.......I'm going to try more testing to make sure it will be safe to use and make some adjustments.

There can be many different types of configurations using the fitting this is just one. They also sell an X - fitting that I was thinking could be used for making a triple head!

I like the idea, but it kinda scares me.  By looking at it, it seems that the base may be too small.  An 18" base would prolly work better.  Also, the pipe that extends the lower shelf out from the main pipe could prolly be a little bit shorter.  It looks like it's pushing the center of gravity way forward.

Also, the pipe that extends the lower shelf out from the main pipe could prolly be a little bit shorter.  It looks like it's pushing the center of gravity way forward.

I agree! with the new way I'm doing it that pipe could def. be shortened  .  Believe it or not it is pretty sturdy .

This is a better way to balance the weight . Now I just need figure  out how I'm going to weld the fittings so they will not turn

I wouldnt worry about welding the joints, if you have a vise and pipe wrench you can tighten them enough. but even if you dont I dont think you need to weld them.

also, keep in mind most likely when you place the rack it will be against a wall, this will add stability as well.

maybe put a 2 inch machine on top shelf?

overall, I vote you best idea outside the box! ;D

• 2 months later...

gallery_105_7_96297.jpggallery_105_7_121006.jpg

I was finally able to make my own pipe rack. I didn't get my parts at lowes, and I think I should have because it cost me about $25.

2 - 6"x1" pipes

2 - 1" right angle M-F joints

1 - 1" Tee

I put one of the 6" pipes in the base, screwed it into the middle Tee and then put the two angles in each other end of the Tee. The 24" pipe goes in one in the back, and another 6" pipe in the front. I put some double plates on the flanges, with a pair of NWsuper60's on top and vista 300's on the bottom. It rocks a little, but otherwise it seems pretty solid. I'm thinking of adding a brace to keep the two uprights from shifting to the side.

In this arrangement, the bottom level is 15" off the ground, which I think is a good distance.

• 8 months later...

gallery_105_7_96297.jpggallery_105_7_121006.jpg

I was finally able to make my own pipe rack. I didn't get my parts at lowes, and I think I should have because it cost me about $25.

2 - 6"x1" pipes

2 - 1" right angle M-F joints

1 - 1" Tee

I put one of the 6" pipes in the base, screwed it into the middle Tee and then put the two angles in each other end of the Tee. The 24" pipe goes in one in the back, and another 6" pipe in the front. I put some double plates on the flanges, with a pair of NWsuper60's on top and vista 300's on the bottom. It rocks a little, but otherwise it seems pretty solid. I'm thinking of adding a brace to keep the two uprights from shifting to the side.

In this arrangement, the bottom level is 15" off the ground, which I think is a good distance.

I finally put one of these 4-way pipe stands into service. Here's a close up of the joints. I got the parts for the second rack from Lowes, and it cost my $17. My wooden rack is much much cheaper, but this one is easier to whip together. The only thing to be cautious about is that the joints have to be secured somehow, so they don't unscrew. I soldered mine. They seem to be nice and sturdy.

IMAG0110.jpeg

IMAG0109.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I finally put one of these 4-way pipe stands into service. Here's a close up of the joints. I got the parts for the second rack from Lowes, and it cost my $17. My wooden rack is much much cheaper, but this one is easier to whip together. The only thing to be cautious about is that the joints have to be secured somehow, so they don't unscrew. I soldered mine. They seem to be nice and sturdy.

IMAG0110.jpeg

IMAG0109.jpeg

where do you get the bases from?

i asume th bases are made for 1 inch pipe

where do you get the bases from?

i asume th bases are made for 1 inch pipe

Yes, they are modified pipe stands. They are great for creating j-stands from regular pipe stands.

Archived