Several Machines broken into, Mine was one of them!

NinnJinn

Hi Gang,

I got a call around noon yesterday (Saturday) stating my Coke machine had been broken into.  I called the police department, and headed over to survey the damage.

I had driven past the machine while on the highway several times that morning and all looked well.

When I arrived I didn't touch anything and waited.  I noticed that the front of my lock was gone, and the "use correct change light" was on.  There were no metal shavings, and the only thing of the lock on the ground was the little bar thingy that actually sticks out that locks the machine and it goes inside the barrel when the key is turned therefore popping the t-handle out.

Police got there and looked it over, they had to actually turn the t-handle 3 half turns to open the door.  All my product was there, the dba was empty and on my Vortex coin mech/changer, the 3 tubes with hoppers was missing.  the wires were not cut, no evidence that it had been "yanked out"

over flow bin had some change in it.  The officers told me that my machine was the 12th machine they had investigated that day and it was all the same fashion, minimal damage, except the ones that had the cover and puck lock installed,  on those, the DBA had been popped in and bills taken.

one of my other coke machines has the same setup, coin mech etc.  so I took the change hoppers out and put into the broken in one, and all worked fine and dandy..  A tech is supposed to be there tomorrow morning, so I put the change hoppers back into the original machine and put an out of order sign on the vandalized one.

It has been a full 24hrs, And I still can't decide if I am pissed at them for breaking into the machine more?  Or if I am just baffled and my brain is trying to figure out why they took such great care as to not totally trashing the machine. and how they had the balls to hit all these machines in well lit areas and mine was right along the highway!  And all in one night to boot!

BTW,  Thankfully I took the $180 worth of bills out on Wednesday to pay for my coke order,  So they got roughly $40 in change and about $10-15 in bills.

That sucks, sorry to hear that. The reason there was not much damage is because have seen the inside of a vending machine and know where the money is. If you don`t know how to get in then there will be more damage. Damaging equipment also takes more time, the faster you get in the faster you can go.

Unless you add more security it will happen again, its one of the risks of havingoutdoor equipment.

I am sorry to hear this news.did you have a spare lock to close the machine back up?I wonder if it`s the same people that broke into mine.I have heard stories of thieves just going on a big road trip breaking into machines.what sucks the most is that you probably will have to spend more to fix the machine then what they took.

I am sorry to hear this news.did you have a spare lock to close the machine back up?I wonder if it`s the same people that broke into mine.I have heard stories of thieves just going on a big road trip breaking into machines.what sucks the most is that you probably will have to spend more to fix the machine then what they took.

Yes, I have 10, err I mean I now, have 9 locks keyed alike with their own registered number.  The machine they hit was my 3rd party machine,  I am just worried that since I have only had it for 45 days.  I searched ebay, for the part I need, but the only thing I found was the whole coin mech/changer system for under $100 with a 30 day warranty. Or brand new for $250 with a 2yr warranty.

If push comes to shove for me to keep the machine, I will buy a coin mech and put it in myself.

This style break in is usually done by a current or former vending industry person.

My thoughts exactly!  For curiosity's sake,  I tried it on my working machine,  it is quicker for me to unplug the entire coin mech and take it, than it is for me to take the coin tube hoppers out. 

Just got back from meeting with the coke tech, he didn't have the Vortex part, so he put in a cheap looking Coinco 7000 mech.  has Dime, nickel and 2 quarter tubes in it. He said at this point there is no risk of losing machine, especially since several were hit over the weekend.

I picked up the local weekly paper this evening and was going through the police log. On Saturday there were 8 different places hit within a 10 mile stretch. 

If every machine at those locations got broken into, that would mean that the person/persons that went on this crime spree, broke into 22 machines in one night!

And chances are they will never get caught!

Archived