Managing Diet Drinks?

NinnJinn

Just curious as to what kind of expiration dates you guys are getting on your diets? And how you manage them, do you have out of date product?

Until I get a grasp on a location, I always take an empty tray with me for my diet drinks, I have some machines that sell 2-3 diets a week, and 1 sell 8-10diets a week!  And with the short shelf life of diets, (or at least my diets anyways) I am constantly moving them around. 

My first 2 cases of diets I ordered for my two new machines had an expiration date of 13 days after I got them! To say the least, It didn't take me long to call Coke and started my way up the chain of command chewing one golpher at a time!

I finally ended up getting a 50% discount on my next two diet cases.  But they are still expiring 30-40 days after I get them, so at the moment, I am ordering 1 case of diet every 3 weeks to split between my machines. And what expires, my mother buys from me at cost.

So what do you do?

If you can make your volumes with Coke without buying diet from them I would get the diet stuff from a wholesaler or a grocery store where you can look at the dates before you buy. I don't remember if you are buying cans or bottles but if it is cans you should be able to stretch your deliver dates out to 6 months. If you are using bottles, can you set the machines for cans of diet coke? You will get longer life on the cans than you will on the bottles.

If you can make your volumes with Coke without buying diet from them I would get the diet stuff from a wholesaler or a grocery store where you can look at the dates before you buy. I don't remember if you are buying cans or bottles but if it is cans you should be able to stretch your deliver dates out to 6 months. If you are using bottles, can you set the machines for cans of diet coke? You will get longer life on the cans than you will on the bottles.

Yes, I am making my volumes with coke.  And on the Diets, I am dealing with bottles.

Technically, I'm not going in the hole with diets, since I have someone that will buy them after they are expired.  its just instead of making a 60cent profit, I am just breaking even on the ones that are expired. I have checked different "club" stores, some that are 70miles away from me, and none of them sell 20oz soft drink bottles. It seems that the only way to get 20oz in my neck of the woods is to get them from the bottler.

Can you switch the diet column to dispense cans? Cans have a better shelf life than bottles. Since you aren't selling a lot diet you could pick up cans at a grocery store.

I picked up diet coke 2 x 12 cans for $6.00 at a Hess gas bar on my way to Atlantic City last week. The expiry date is Jan 24 2011.

Yes, I can switch to cans, but the funny thing is, where I sell the most diet bottles, I started with cans at that location, and managed to sell 2, yes, I said 2 diet cokes in the can in the course of  2-3 months.

just an fyi 20 oz bottles are available exclusively thru bottlers,you cant get them at wholesale anywhere else.except gatorade which is available at sams.

I didn't know if that was a nation wide ordeal or just in my area.  But I must admit it is kinda funny that you can get the 16.9 and the 24oz bottles from the local store cheaper than you can get the 20oz from the bottlers.

But, you are using their machines for free, and they are driving a semi to deliver to you and all they ask is you order a minimum of 10 cases for "free shipping"

I must admit, If I owned a boat load of my own machines, I would really consider going with the 24oz bottles for bigger profit margins.

third party machines wont be allowed to vend cans you can only do one or the other with thier machines.once you have a few more machines out this wont be  a problem anymore.

I honestly really hadn't planned on converting a column to a 12oz can.  but I was just referring to the fact that my machines have the capability of doing both, along with multi pricing.

However, My coke rep did confirm that I could vend Monster as long as I ordered it through them.  I have checked around, and for once, I can get something from them cheaper than walmart.

just an fyi 20 oz bottles are available exclusively thru bottlers,you cant get them at wholesale anywhere else.except gatorade which is available at sams.

Actually, we can get 20oz bottles (Coke and Pepsi products) from Costco Business Centers.  They are not cheap...99 cents each, but they are available.

Travis

there is another suplier full liners use but I cant remember the name, it seems they have the longest soda shelf life.I dont remember the name since I dont have one close to me.I beleive it is a big national company but not sure.I read this on here somewhere.

there is another suplier full liners use but I cant remember the name, it seems they have the longest soda shelf life.I dont remember the name since I dont have one close to me.I beleive it is a big national company but not sure.I read this on here somewhere.

Are you referring to Vistar?

Surely you don't get cranky with them when she is forced to call you!  B)

Absolutely not, I simply tell them that if they wont take the short dates back they can reload the entire order and take it all back and before they are done loading I will be on the phone with dispatch and after that my sales rep. Works like a charm every time. :o

Ahhh I see!  And with almost 70 drink machines I highly doubt when your order comes in, it is only the 10 case minimum! 

Yeah,  I think they would stop being cranky after they hear the 3 things you are going to do.  Plus, Just the thought of the higher ups waiting on them to get back to base would scare the holy bajesus  out of me!

YOU CAN BUY CERTAIN 20 OZ BOTTLES AT VISTAR  I DO  WHEN I DONT NEED 10 CASES FROM BOTTLERS LOL  AS FAR AS DATES ON DIET DRINKS  IVE SLOWED DOWN FROM BUYING A BUNCH OF DRINKS.  BUT ILL TELL YOU  IF THE DRINKS ARE OUT OF DATE THEY STAY IN THERE TELL THEY SELL THATS SALES YOU ARE LOSING

Archived