How many people use honor boxes?

shepherdsflock

I'm thinking about getting started in the vending business with some honor boxes. I've been searching the message board and reading up on everyone's posts about honor boxes, and I'm curious how many people on here actually have honor boxes as part of their routes.

i noticed you are a new member and dont have access to the revenue reports section heres one of my route reports i usually post in there. i had about 25 boxes but i lost some locations this week and some i pulled out of. so my gross is acutally a bit underreported since some locations turned around too fast for me to even enter them into the sheet and some have been removed. I'll probably be pulling a few more in Jan and relocating them. Each line in the report represents an account.

honorbox.png

$364 for 25 boxes doesn't seem too bad for a month's net. That's about $14 per box per month. I think I'd be pretty happy with results like that. My goal is to get to where I can net about $200 per month to supplement the income I make at my full time job. How frequently do you end up pulling a box from a location due to high shrinkage or poor sales?

$364 for 25 boxes doesn't seem too bad for a month's net. That's about $14 per box per month. I think I'd be pretty happy with results like that. My goal is to get to where I can net about $200 per month to supplement the income I make at my full time job. How frequently do you end up pulling a box from a location due to high shrinkage or poor sales?

sorry if its confusing, that is cumulative sales, the 2 boxes highlighted in grey have been on location several months but they have lower pricing so the gross is lower. the others about 6wks which represents 3 cycles.

$14 net  average per box for 2 cycles is about right though, when i cull the bad performers that average should jump significantly.

also some accounts should go up based on giving them better service than i have been, one account pays well and empties the box they need to be serviced every week not every 2 weeks which i am going to start doing, another account pays well but has complained that the mix im giving them isnt what they like. fixing those accounts should improve my bottom line a lot.

this is the first week ive removed any boxes i was told by someone knowledgeable to relocate the bottom performing 10% every 60 days. i tend to give a warning about theft after 2 cycles if it exceeds 40%.

i think your goal is easily achievable with a small (10-20) honor snack route. just try to keep # of dog accounts  low

Dogcow,

The spreadsheet you uploaded represents 6 weeks? If so, that works out to about $3.50 per box per week. Am I understanding your post correctly?

prob about right probably closer to 5bucks since as i said some income

isnt reported on that sheet due to either kick outs, or pulling the box

Dogcow,

How far away from your center of operations are you willing to locate honor boxes before the fuel to drive there starts consuming too much of the revenue? There are several small, rural communities with small shops and other businesses near me that I think would be good potential locations, but would require a drive of 15-20 miles one way. Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to target these areas?

Dogcow,

How far away from your center of operations are you willing to locate honor boxes before the fuel to drive there starts consuming too much of the revenue? There are several small, rural communities with small shops and other businesses near me that I think would be good potential locations, but would require a drive of 15-20 miles one way. Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to target these areas?

i dont know maybe , from a good location u can pull 20-30 bucks consistently

on each cycle (my boxes only have 32-35 items @ $1 ea) with a bigger box u can cycle less often (maybe) and possibly make less trips. part of the trick is locating in areas with high density of businesses like industrial parks, strip malls, office or medical parks, etc.. so  u can stop the car and just walk around and service the boxes. urban area work best i would suspect because u have big office buildings. where im at its mostly sprawling but i have them located in industrial parks and strip malls, also they are mostly around my fs soda/snack locations, so i have to go there anyway .

if ur in a rural area it may not work out for you, on the other hand ur shrinkage might be less. give it a shot, what have u got to lose u can get started for under a hundred bucks.

i have never had a  honor box but when i worked at certain places  they had them and talk about money losers  that is waste of money as bad as things are now i wouldnt even think of putting them out 

i have never had a  honor box but when i worked at certain places  they had them and talk about money losers  that is waste of money as bad as things are now i wouldnt even think of putting them out 

how did u know they were losing money?

because some people werent even paying for the stuff  

what were their prices at? my cost of goods is only 20%

they could steal 80% of my items and i wouldnt lose money

you can see from above excel sheet im not losing money, despite theft

Archived