Sports Card Vending

caserri

I was in a chain grocery store in New Hampshire the other day and saw something I had never seen before. Someone had a snack machine setup to vend packs and singles of sports cards right in the breezeway.

I have been an avid collector of football cards since 1982 and always pick up a pack or two when I see them in checkout lines but I've never seen someone vend them out of a snack machine, or I should say, devote an ENTIRE snack machine to cards only.

It was quite ingenious! He, or she, had packs that ranged in price from $1 up to $10. Some spirals contained older packs from several years ago while others were current packs from various sports.

They even had a shelf or two of single, premium cards, in their protective sleeves for higher prices. I fell in love with the idea and wondered how well they did with it. I understand that it is a highly specialized product but I believe it could work in the right environment.

Has anyone else seen something like this? I have seen operators put cards in sticker machines but this is something completely different. Kind of like an un-manned store.

Go to any major airport and you will find a large unmanned vending machine that will sell you lots of sundry items. I was at the Houston airport several times and came across a large machine that would sell large goods that any traveler might want. It even sold high-end goods like iTouches, Go Phones, MP3 players, head phones, paperback books, slippers, etc. All out of that same vending machine.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/10/ipod-vending-machines/

I've even seen some machines like this that Proactive uses to sell entire sets of their product lines. Those are in many malls.

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone. I'm new to this so bear with me here. I'v been thinking about starting a vending biz for months now and have been doing some research.now, on the subject of stickers and cards.where can one purchase the cardboard sleeves so they work in the machine? i have searched google to no avail. The reason I am asking is because I want to break down packs of garbage pail kids sticker packs and wacky packages.selling them individually thereby increasing profits.I don't know of this is entirley legal but the waay i figure if I'm buying the packs 24 at a time I can do whatever I want with them. Anyway I am mainly interested in stickers and capsule toys. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thank you and may you prosper in all that you do!

Archived