Is candy out, gum in? Or just capsules?

MrGranger

I have been reading a lot of the old posts and seen a similar thing posted again and again. "If I started over, I'd just do gum." & "If I could go back to beginning I'd only do capsule machines." [Not the actual quotes but very close.]

The strange thing is that the various posts seem to indicate that PMM is one of the biggest sellers. If that was true, then why does it seem so many want to get out of candy. Are gumballs that big of a seller? I've personally found that toy machines are hard to locate, so is is good to only do toys. (Which is exactly what I do now, but I'm rethinking that decision.)

Is candy really so hard to service or as the health craze ruined the candy fun?

2 reasons most vendors are bigger fans of toys and GB than candies like PMM:

1. GB have a lower COG than most candies...especially PMM.

Yet, they sell very well.

2. Toys have a much longer shelf life than candy.

Longer shelf life means less spoilage.

Less spoilage equals lower business expenses.

Servicing candy is not necessarily harder than servicing toy/GB locations.

But, I still prefer GB, flat, and toys over candy for the 2 reasons above.

My problem with M&M's is when I starting vending a bag was $7.14 each, now they are 9.15 each. When vending them at a quarter per vend its normally not a portion your customers are going to be happy with. I remember when a customer at a location told me "when i put a quarter in all I get is 5-6 PMM's", my response was put another quarter in and you will have 10-12. I just recently started vending runts because of demand, cog's, shelf life, and able to take this florida heat a little better. All my new machines going out will be for the most part 32mm bouncy balls at .50, 1" mania product at .50, nerd gumballs at .25 and runts at .25 per vend. Will still do some skittles, reese pieces, hot tamales, mike & ikes, and mint gum but will be limited. Not doing a whole lot more 2" until I get these 1800 triples out.

My problem with M&M's is when I starting vending a bag was $7.14 each, now they are 9.15 each. When vending them at a quarter per vend its normally not a portion your customers are going to be happy with. I remember when a customer at a location told me "when i put a quarter in all I get is 5-6 PMM's", my response was put another quarter in and you will have 10-12. I just recently started vending runts because of demand, cog's, shelf life, and able to take this florida heat a little better. All my new machines going out will be for the most part 32mm bouncy balls at .50, 1" mania product at .50, nerd gumballs at .25 and runts at .25 per vend. Will still do some skittles, reese pieces, hot tamales, mike & ikes, and mint gum but will be limited. Not doing a whole lot more 2" until I get these 1800 triples out.

I would mix the 32 mm with 27mm if your dead set on having 32mm. Give S&B a call they have 32mm balls from all star for .055 ea.

I would mix the 32 mm with 27mm if your dead set on having 32mm. Give S&B a call they have 32mm balls from all star for .055 ea.

You can get them through A&A for that price too.

$5.50 per bag of 100 32mm depending on the qty amount you want.

If you qualify for that price through A&A -- compare shipping.

I've never ordered through S&B but experience has taught me that A&A does better than most with shipping cost.

The strange thing is that the various posts seem to indicate that PMM is one of the biggest sellers. If that was true, then why does it seem so many want to get out of candy. Are gumballs that big of a seller? I've personally found that toy machines are hard to locate, so is is good to only do toys. (Which is exactly what I do now, but I'm rethinking that decision.)

Is candy really so hard to service or as the health craze ruined the candy fun?

Well, the demographics will drive that decision to some degree IMO. If vending in adult only locations (break rooms, industrial, warehouses, automotive, etc.), then candy/gum is your only choice. I only vend MMP in non-commission/charity adult locations due to the cost, but they do move pretty well. I am switching over to Runts as my only sweet (non-chocolate) candy for racks and for adult locations that do not allow gum. It sounds like you are not in many adult-only locations, so candy may not be worth the time.

However, always consider gumballs in any location that will allow them since they are so cheap. Don't fall into the trap that only kids will buy gumballs! You may want to consider one of those spiral gumball machines for your traveling gipsy machine setup as well. They add some extra attention to those wonderfully profitable gumballs.

Candy is way over emphasized by the biz-ops and no one can make a living selling just candy from a bulk machine due to the lower volume, lower margins and spoilage. I would love to sell just toys and stickers, but I can not get enough family locations. So I fill in the route with candy/gum break rooms in between those wonderful family rack locations. But maybe consider Runts as the one and only candy on a rack. And also consider flat vending tattoos and stickers as well. Those NFL and MLB stickers can move real well in some places. And charge them 3 bucks if they ask for a specific team!

Archived