Refurbing tools of the trade

mainor5251

I only buy used equipment and the best deals usually involves equipment that needs some TLC so I thought this might be a useful thread. My usual routine is sand machines using a combination between a orbital palm sander and a little hand sanding. Then comes cleaning, normally just by hand in the sink. Next prime, paint, and clear coat all with spray cans. Using this process the machines come out alright but I feel with the right equipment I could do a lot better, with a paint job that not only looks better but is also much more durable. So with that said I'm now in the market for a sandblasting cabinet and a high volume low pressure paint sprayer.

I couldn't do without my mini air grinder. Or my 3- 1/4" ratchets and extensions. Yeah I actually have 3 I use cause I am always laying it down and losing it. I really like my set of flat files too. I use them a lot. And my rubber mallet.

My wish list includes a really good pair of tin snips(started making my own chute covers), A good vise that I can mount to my bench, and a long flexible shop air hose.

I only buy used equipment and the best deals usually involves equipment that needs some TLC so I thought this might be a useful thread. My usual routine is sand machines using a combination between a orbital palm sander and a little hand sanding. Then comes cleaning, normally just by hand in the sink. Next prime, paint, and clear coat all with spray cans. Using this process the machines come out alright but I feel with the right equipment I could do a lot better, with a paint job that not only looks better but is also much more durable. So with that said I'm now in the market for a sandblasting cabinet and a high volume low pressure paint sprayer.

I used my dads sandblasting cabinet one time to do a machine. I couldn't stand it, it took FOREVER. Now I just use a paint stripper, and a dremel tool w/ sandpaper to get to the metal before I paint.

I used my dads sandblasting cabinet one time to do a machine. I couldn't stand it, it took FOREVER. Now I just use a paint stripper, and a dremel tool w/ sandpaper to get to the metal before I paint.

Even though it took longer,was the surface better prepared for the paint? What about using it for really rusty candy and gumball wheels? The kind that are made from aluminum and have that white patina on them? Or mech's that are pitted really bad?

Even though it took longer,was the surface better prepared for the paint? What about using it for really rusty candy and gumball wheels? The kind that are made from aluminum and have that white patina on them? Or mech's that are pitted really bad?

Y'know, I honestly don't think it made the surface any better for the paint, I still had to sand it after wards to get it smooth to paint, and the result was the same as if I had treated the rust and then sanded it. However, you make a great point about using it for rusty parts, I did have rusty rods that I used the sandblasting to get them back to normal, and I'd imagine it would have the same effect for the wheels and mechs. I guess the sandblasting has its place for rusty parts, but I just didn't see it worth the time for bigger areas.

• 1 year later...

Well there are lots of variables. Any compressor that will run 10-20cfm is sufficient. The larger the tank the less waiting. I've had great success with medium glassbead 90-150 grit size I usually blast at about 70psi. Walnut shell and plastic media is also really helpful for more fragile parts although it is much more expensive, My cabinet is rather large I refurb alot of autoparts. What are you working on I would love to help. I just recently caught the vending bug if anyone knows where I can find a few routemaster's that would be awesome!

i've used a similar set up to above, it is still very slow to get off powdercoating we use a chemical

paint stripper which is far superior and removes layers of paint iin just a few minutes then

we blast it to rough the parts before coating

I blast powdercoated car wheels in minutes man. Something isn't up to par on your blasting setup..

im moving the whole thing to a new warehouse when we get it set up again ill take some pictures maybe you can

tell me whats wrong with it. from the sounds of it (psi, media) we are using the same set up as you described.

dogcow are you using a pressure pot setup or just siphon feed? That makes a world of difference! snap some pictures when you get set up!

-Easy

siphon feed ,is that the difference?

definitely the reason. With siphon feed you have to run a continuous amout of pressure usually 90+ psi with a pressure pot you can run 50-70psi with the same amount of media to air mix its night and day between the two setups.

-Easy

Archived