Small Change Adds Up

Hillbilly

About 6 month's ago I asked will.vend about a problem I was having with some Oak mech's. The change was piling up on the chute cover and the sweep was not sweeping it off. It caused me several jams and at one location I made .25 in 4 months.

He gave me some advice on how to modify the mech. Also how to cut out the drop thru hole. I now get spare change all the time when I service and haven't had a jam in a couple of month's.

I serviced a double head today and had 1.06 in one head and .84 in the other. All in pennies, nickels, and dimes. If this keeps up it will pay for a couple of machines a year.

Thanks Andy.

About 6 month's ago I asked will.vend about a problem I was having with some Oak mech's. The change was piling up on the chute cover and the sweep was not sweeping it off. It caused me several jams and at one location I made .25 in 4 months.

He gave me some advice on how to modify the mech. Also how to cut out the drop thru hole. I now get spare change all the time when I service and haven't had a jam in a couple of month's.

I serviced a double head today and had 1.06 in one head and .84 in the other. All in pennies, nickels, and dimes. If this keeps up it will pay for a couple of machines a year.

Thanks Andy.

I agree that extra change adds up.Have an extra 20-30 cents in just about every machine at each pull.

So what's the process to modify the mech and drop-through hole?

The first picture is a regular Oak mechanism back plate.

The second picture shows the drop thru hole I cut out with a Dremel tool and the bottom of the mech cut off using tin snips and flat files. Removing the bottom of the mech allows quarters to be ejected rather than just falling onto the chute cover.

The first picture is a regular Oak mechanism back plate.

The second picture shows the drop thru hole I cut out with a Dremel tool and the bottom of the mech cut off using tin snips and flat files. Removing the bottom of the mech allows quarters to be ejected rather than just falling onto the chute cover.

Have you considered selling the modified mechs to those of us who don't have a dremel or the skills to use it? I could send you a stack of Oak mechs and pay you to customize them for me.

Have you considered selling the modified mechs to those of us who don't have a dremel or the skills to use it? I could send you a stack of Oak mechs and pay you to customize them for me.

Or better yet, patent your modified plate and offer to sell it to Oak.

I'd have to pay a royalty to Andy.

Seriously, I hadn't really thought about it. I don't think I would want to do a whole lot of them at one time. I usually grab a couple when I'm waiting on other stuff to come in.

I'd have to pay a royalty to Andy.

Seriously, I hadn't really thought about it. I don't think I would want to do a whole lot of them at one time. I usually grab a couple when I'm waiting on other stuff to come in.

hmmmm! bub does all the work and I get paid!grin.gif

hmmmm! bub does all the work and I get paid!grin.gif

I still say that the 2 of you could have someone with a CNC machine make the modified plate for you, and then you could sell it to Oak. That idea could be worth a considerable sum to them.

I still say that the 2 of you could have someone with a CNC machine make the modified plate for you, and then you could sell it to Oak. That idea could be worth a considerable sum to them.

You can buy the drop thru backplate from oak for about $3.00.

sometimes they have them on special at a reduced price.

I think the modification shown in this thread is .75/ea.

I have not found it to be necessary on newer backplates.

Archived