Why do businesses accept more machines?

agrantha

Today I placed a single gumball machine at a bar/restaurant that already had two machines. One machine was an empty scratched up single head gumball machine with a cast iron stand. The other machine was the same but it was a double. The gumballs were half empty and the candy side was empty. The machines appeared to be the generic beaver look alikes that are made in China.

The reason I went ahead and placed my machines is that this is the third time this has happened. In the other two scenarios the owner asked me to remove an abandoned machine once and the other time the vendor came and removed his own machine.

I called the owner of the machines and left a message to call me back. Hopefully, he/she will remove the machines.

He just called back! This guy is impressive. He is 19 years old and is a full time student with two jobs plus he has a bulk vending route that his brother is supposed to be keeping up. His route has about 150 machines. He said he would sell his machines to me since his brother is not doing a good job. He is at work now, but he will call me back later today to talk prices.

I am also going to bring up the subject of his entire route since he does not have time to service it.

I think I will always accept preoccupied locations because it has always ended on a profitable note.

Maybe you could split the gross on the route with him over a period of months to pay for the whole route with no money out of pocket....

That's awesome. Keep up the good work.

I just turned down a location from kickstart yesterday because they already had a 7 head rack. I was very happy of the business but once I got there I wasn't happy to see the rack.

It may have turned out to be a good location but based on the competition and the distance I let it go.

Nick

I turned down a long distance location from Rob once myself. I had a Northwestern Super 60 double head that needed to be placed, but the location owner wanted three different candies and she specified the candies. I turned it down. I don't like a location telling me exactly what to vend, especially if I have to special order the product.

I have to admit that Rob finds great locations, but some of them may have someone there already. I look at all situations as an opportunity. In your case, you probably should have turned it down unless the rack had been abandoned.

I decided to stay here because the competition has abandoned their equipment. This has always been the case when I have accepted preoccupied locations. This appears to be a gravy location. All I need to do is buy him out. If I continue to work with this guy, it may be a while before I call Rob again.

JeremyTina

That is a great idea if he will accept it.

Would you suggest I contact rob and give it a shot for a month?

Yes!

The longer you stay in this business, the more you will see existing equipment when a locator finds a business for you. In some cases you will see abandoned equipment. These are the locations you should really jump on. This is also an opportunity to meet other vendors. There is always someone getting out of this business. More than likely, they paid far too much to get into the business and they are disgusted and want out. You want to be right there picking up their business at a low ball price.

I've gotten a few locations like that and been surprised at how well they do.

In a couple situations, the employees were really excited about getting some candy they actually liked. I made about $10 in 2 weeks (first pull was recent) on Mike and Ikes and Skittles at a location that already had a tri-vend, 2 gumball machines, and a peanut M&M machine.

It makes me think I should be asking current locations if there is something MORE that they want, like an additional machine with different options.

The thing that makes me nervous about there being several vendors in a location is how other vendors might respond. I've heard horror stories of vandalizing and stealing machines of other vendors. I've had my charity sticker stolen once already.

I just turned down a location from kickstart yesterday because they already had a 7 head rack. I was very happy of the business but once I got there I wasn't happy to see the rack.

It may have turned out to be a good location but based on the competition and the distance I let it go.

I got a triple in a restaurant with a 9 head rack, cranes, video games. My triple does between $40-60 every month. But it is a chain restaurant.

I got a triple in a restaurant with a 9 head rack, cranes, video games. My triple does between $40-60 every month. But it is a chain restaurant.

You plan on getting the rack guy out of there and your own rack in? That sounds like a CICI's or a Golden Corral.

The moral here is that many places will easily support more than one machine. Take a look at your existing locations, you may have oprtunities that you are overlooking if you don't have any location with more than one piece of equipment.

I just secured a great location that had 5 different machines in it including a rack. All different owners, all on the rough looking side. It was an easy sell. I offered a new rack with all new machines and a variety of candy, gum, and toys. The owner jumped on the opportunity to clean things up and was excited to actually have the chance to get a comission. All of the others had promised one, but not one has paid him. When I asked whether they were insured and told him I was a licensed business as well as completely insured, the deal was sealed. The other nachines go to the back room until the owners pick them up.

I have been able to secure locations pretty easily when I bring up the licensing and insurance concerns that any business owner should have. It seems that the current vendors in the area are not insured from what I am gathering. Makes for an easy way in.

I have been able to secure locations pretty easily when I bring up the licensing and insurance concerns that any business owner should have. It seems that the current vendors in the area are not insured from what I am gathering. Makes for an easy way in.

I've not really done this, either. What company do you use for insurance?

I've not really done this, either. What company do you use for insurance?

My insurance is with General Casualty. They are a wis. company and it runs me $250 per year for $1 Million liablity. If you search insurance here you will see what others have used as well. Seems like $200-$250 is the ballpark for insurance like this.

• 2 years later...

Jeeez I remember when this location was sent to me! Now I am trying to get this location with a rack or crane. I am sure it is a goldmine..Haha such novice days when I was vending candy out of a triple and using kickstart!!

My turn for the glance back, i have since sold all my triples and candy locations and recently had a meeting with the owner of this restaurant and he offered me the entire account (3 chain restaurants). But had to pass since it was a all or nothing deal and at the top of his list was golden tee live machines along with cranes, bar top machines and bulk. Out of my budget.

I lost a lot of money on a couple golden tee's and none of my bar tops make enough to pay for themselves.  Restaurants aren't good candidates for those items.  I guess the owners weren't willing to compromise?

Jeeez I remember when this location was sent to me! Now I am trying to get this location with a rack or crane. I am sure it is a goldmine..Haha such novice days when I was vending candy out of a triple and using kickstart!!

youve learned a lot in your short vending career, just think where you will be in 5 years.

My turn for the glance back, i have since sold all my triples and candy locations and recently had a meeting with the owner of this restaurant and he offered me the entire account (3 chain restaurants). But had to pass since it was a all or nothing deal and at the top of his list was golden tee live machines along with cranes, bar top machines and bulk. Out of my budget.

triples were like crack for mainor he just couldnt stop using them. Glad you kicked that habit. You will be a full time vendor in no time now.

I lost a lot of money on a couple golden tee's and none of my bar tops make enough to pay for themselves.  Restaurants aren't good candidates for those items.  I guess the owners weren't willing to compromise?

Probably wouldn't matter but was a sports bar/restaurant

youve learned a lot in your short vending career, just think where you will be in 5 years.triples were like crack for mainor he just couldnt stop using them. Glad you kicked that habit. You will be a full time vendor in no time now.

Had to learn the hard way

I wish the 1 spot I'm really wanting to get into would let me in. There is equipment with 5 empty bins. It's been like that for 3 weeks. It they did t bring it up at the next meeting yet. Wtf. How can they be happy with empty equipment just sitting there. Ahhhbbhb

I lost a lot of money on a couple golden tee's and none of my bar tops make enough to pay for themselves. Restaurants aren't good candidates for those items. I guess the owners weren't willing to compromise?

Some location owners want way too much in their locations. I had a sports bar want want about 25 grand in new equipment. It's not their money they dont care.

Some location owners want way too much in their locations. I had a sports bar want want about 25 grand in new equipment. It's not their money they dont care.

Same here. Just had a meeting yesterday with a small diner. And they want us to replace their current vendor with 5 grand of equipment. Brand new everything and the location would do okay but honestly building 3 racks is wayyy cheaper and would make 5 to 1 that place does.

I love it when someone contacts me with their great idea of opening a stand alone arcade in a shopping center next to nothing and I get to supply all the machines and split the money with them.  They always want all the coolest video games and Golden Tee games.

Archived