Done with doubles?

caserri

I don't think you should get too many I told you so's. I think it is good to try different models to see what works. It is great of you to share your results to help the rest of us.

Like Pusherman I would go back over your figures and look at how and when the drop happened. Everyone seems to have a drop off sfter Hallowen. In November you are competing with the leftover candy from Hallowen. In December it's baking and lunches out. In January it's dieting. If these are the months of your decline but August ,September and October were normal , you may just be seeing a seasonal change. If the decline started before Hallowen then it may have had more to due with the change to singles.

Ted 

Steve:

Thanks for trying and letting us know. The gumball philosophy is tempting in that it has the lowest cost. Of course if no one wants to chew gumballs, you'll have no sales- but your costs will be low! I think the only way a single product strategy could work is if you changed the product every month. People like to choose or change snacks, rather than eat the same thing all the time, in my opinion.

Regards,

Philo

• 5 months later...

I really had to come back to this topic because I had been considering going with single head gumball machines too. The simplicity is wonderful and there's a great profit margin. $0.022 per vend is a lot better than $0.12 per vend. It is so attractive since a single head machine cost about 1/2 as much as a triple. You'd need double the locations but can handle a much lower lower volume of sales because of the profit margin. At least now I know it doesn't work.  I'm glad you made the mistake, that way I don't have to.

"If you want to be sucessful, find someone who is doing what you want to do, find out how they became sucessful, and do the exact same thing." -Tony Robbins

Joe

I really had to come back to this topic because I had been considering going with single head gumball machines too. The simplicity is wonderful and there's a great profit margin. $0.022 per vend is a lot better than $0.12 per vend. It is so attractive since a single head machine cost about 1/2 as much as a triple. You'd need double the locations but can handle a much lower lower volume of sales because of the profit margin. At least now I know it doesn't work.  I'm glad you made the mistake, that way I don't have to.

Maybe it's harder to go from multiple candy products to single gumballs.  I have always done single gumballs, so I don't know anything else.  However I did delve into triples and candy in single heads before.  I've always had bad experiences with triples and candy.  Candy would crack open or stick together and would not be usable, so I had to throw it away.  Candy is a waste of time and money.

So now my business is 100% single gumball vending.  I have a single flavor of gumball, so I only buy one product.  My routes are on an 8+ week service rotation, so I don't waste gas and time servicing every month or less.  When I start getting more machines and locations, I will be expanding to a 12+ week service rotation, saving even more gas and money.

And yet, I can still compete with other candy/gumball vendors.  I can sell 2for1 gumballs, or I can try my new idea and sell gumballs for a dime, instead of a quarter.  But once I force the competition out of the location, I'll be going back to one for a quarter.

But I guess it's a good thing that not every vendor can work with my same model.  If they could we would all be competetors.

Maybe it's harder to go from multiple candy products to single gumballs.  I have always done single gumballs, so I don't know anything else.  However I did delve into triples and candy in single heads before.  I've always had bad experiences with triples and candy.  Candy would crack open or stick together and would not be usable, so I had to throw it away.  Candy is a waste of time and money.

So now my business is 100% single gumball vending.  I have a single flavor of gumball, so I only buy one product.  My routes are on an 8+ week service rotation, so I don't waste gas and time servicing every month or less.  When I start getting more machines and locations, I will be expanding to a 12+ week service rotation, saving even more gas and money.

You make a very good case for gumballs only. I really find myself going back and forth between triples and single head gumballs. I have acquired a very good accounts for triples which will help bolster a quick expansion. I can certainly see where the ease and simplicity of a gumball route would make it more efficient, especially with the profit margin involved. I am stil very intrigued with single head gumballs. What is your average gross per machine? I am afraid that my gross would drop down to the point that it would be less profitable than a triple, but then again...being able to go on a 12 week rotation would allow you to have many more machines.

Joe 

joebob051977 wrote:

You make a very good case for gumballs only. I really find myself going back and forth between triples and single head gumballs. I have acquired a very good accounts for triples which will help bolster a quick expansion. I can certainly see where the ease and simplicity of a gumball route would make it more efficient, especially with the profit margin involved. I am stil very intrigued with single head gumballs. What is your average gross per machine? I am afraid that my gross would drop down to the point that it would be less profitable than a triple, but then again...being able to go on a 12 week rotation would allow you to have many more machines.

Joe 

go to the member plus revenue reporting section

Joe 

I average about $0.50 a day on my gumball machines, that's $15 a month.  Just like triples, I have very good and bad locations.  I have mostly Oak Vista 300's and some machines are actually empty when I service.  For those locations, I upgrade to a Vista 450.  I top off my machines when I service, so that there is enough product for the service cycle.

I have found the mix of singles and triples works best for me. I started with all triples. As some locations seemed weaker than others I replaced the triple with a single and found a new home for the triple. In this way I have been able to balance my routes and tailor the right sized machine for the appropriate location. i currently have about 305 of my locations on singles, the rest on triples.

Regards,

Philo

I agree with you Philo.  IMO you have to match or adjust the equipment (single, double, etc.), product (candy, gum. toys. eyc.) and relationship (charity or commission) to the location.  I no longer believe in a one-size-fits-all strategy any more.  Personally, I would love to be just a commission rack vendor.  The problem is that you run out of accounts that fit the profile you are looking for and you end up "force feeding" equipment and products in "inappropriate" locations.  I also want to keep all locations within a 50 mile radius so I have to adapt to each location's situation.  There is no perfect model - I wish there was.

Jax

I have found the mix of singles and triples works best for me. I started with all triples. As some locations seemed weaker than others I replaced the triple with a single and found a new home for the triple. In this way I have been able to balance my routes and tailor the right sized machine for the appropriate location. i currently have about 305 of my locations on singles, the rest on triples.

Regards,

Philo

Phil........you have 305 locations?? Holy macrel!  I did not know that!  Dont you work a full time job besides this vending thing?

I agree with you Philo.  IMO you have to match or adjust the equipment (single, double, etc.), product (candy, gum. toys. eyc.) and relationship (charity or commission) to the location.  I no longer believe in a one-size-fits-all strategy any more.  Personally, I would love to be just a commission rack vendor.  The problem is that you run out of accounts that fit the profile you are looking for and you end up "force feeding" equipment and products in "inappropriate" locations.  I also want to keep all locations within a 50 mile radius so I have to adapt to each location's situation.  There is no perfect model - I wish there was.

Jax

This is so true. In fact, I think that trying to push a certain piece of equipment and not letting the location dictate what needs to be placed is one of the biggest mistakes a vendor can make when locating.

I like gumballs but look how many places dont want gum, every one of those is a candidate for another piece of gear.

Jimbo

Regards,

Philo

I think that really makes sense. While gumballs makes sense for the reason of simplicity and margin, you really need to have the right machine for the right location. One size does not fit all.

• 1 month later...

dperry wrote:

And yet, I can still compete with other candy/gumball vendors.  I can sell 2for1 gumballs, or I can try my new idea and sell gumballs for a dime, instead of a quarter.  But once I force the competition out of the location, I'll be going back to one for a quarter.

I am interested if you ever tried the .10 route.

I have been thinking of doing this for some time and have finally acquired about 15 dime mechs. Was going to use a 4" .10 sticker and the 15mm gum and vend 1 per dime, just kind of a nostalgia thing but if it works the profit margin would be great. Gross of $365 compared to $212 with the 1" at .25 .

This would require more sales, but who can tell, each person might vend twice.

Outlander, I have 1 machine with a dime mech, not gumballs but peanuts. It is in a large mill, and believe it or not I can not give those peanuts away there. It is one of two locations where I actually had to throw peanuts away. There is 7 other heads at a quarter that do well.

Could it be a mindset thing?

No! Just one dime machine, do not want it or others for that matter.

A quarter is cheap for all the products that I push. When I change coin mechs it will be going north to $1.00. I have no desire to compete on price, there is only room for one value vendor and it will not be me.

• 1 month later...

you have to continously move your mahines and selections until you find a combination that works ,have a location where the selection is just m&m nut (three head machine)last three weeks only , orignally had u-turn 4 selection (4 flavors ) of everything under the sun (alot waste)they are happy i am happy. just keep searching for the right combination.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Grumpy, it's a little weird. I had many like that where peanuts wont sell. At least the gumballs won't go bad, might give that a try.

Do you have any other .10 machines out?

I tried my 10c gumball idea in 2 places.  The first one was a taquaria (place that makes and sells tortillas).  I was the first one in there, but soon there was a local vendor in there selling 2-for-1 gumballs.  I was doing well, prolly $20/mo until the new vendor came in.  After he came, I was doing about $4/mo.  We both have the same machines: Oak Vista 300's.

I placed my 10c machine next to his 2-for-1 and waited for 1 service cycle (8 weeks)  before checking. 

Results: My machine was empty with $28 worth of dimes.  The other guy was more then 1/2 full.  At 2-for-1 I estimate he had about $15 in there.  I'm guessing he only had that much because mine had gone empty and his was the only one left.

The second was in a family seafood restaurant.  I was competing with the same vendor.  This one had only $2.60 in 49 days.  But the other guy didn't look like he had much missing either.  This just may be one of those 'dud' locations all around.

Alan, I know exactly what you are talking ball on this one,  the silver balls you are talking about were called speckle balls or trade balls.  Get the ball TRADE it for a prize of some kind.  My grandpa and dad done those types of machines for years.  I have seen people in my area try this in several places with money and I have also tried it.  My personnel experience with it the money does not work.  I have found using a winning gumball or some kind of product marked different and the recipeant being able to trade it for something of value has worked better.  But that is the area we are in may be different somewhere else in the world.