Done with doubles?

caserri

Wow, I guess that's a difference, lol. Thanks for the feedback. The best place I've found them online had them for $44.37 after shipping for 850 gumballs. That was with a google search. I'll have to check locally.

Whoa.  I'm getting $70 with shipping.  Where are you finding that price Nigel?

I really am a big sucker for choice. Although I have no experience in this, my gut instinct says keep to mostly doubles. Its your nitch in the area. The most important thing is keeping your customers happy. I think that if you do that you will eventually overtake your competition. I know you think he is doing better financially, but consider the value of your time and effort. I guess what I am saying is be Jerry Maguire. "Show me the money!" But seriously, put your clients #1 and you will eventually be #1. If you haven't watched Jerry Maguire recently...watch it again. 

Joe 

Caserri, I have attained a great deal of info from you from this forum and others. I know you are trying to get rid of all your doubles but in another forum you were raving about a double over any other type of machines? I decided to go with doubles becuase of you (I haven't made any purchases yet) but are you changing your mind on me? Are singles that much better?

Caserri, I have attained a great deal of info from you from this forum and others. I know you are trying to get rid of all your doubles but in another forum you were raving about a double over any other type of machines? I decided to go with doubles becuase of you (I haven't made any purchases yet) but are you changing your mind on me? Are singles that much better?

Keep in mind that I was probably raving about doubles over triples. I have just reached a point where I have pretty much maximized my earnings to the point that I have to think about other ways to tweak things to generate more income. I started to think that maybe this would work based on the revenue that I have been seeing come into the singles vs the doubles.

Remember, even if you do buy doubles they can ALWAYS be singles down the road and vice versa. If you turn a triple into a double or single you will end up with a pretty F'd up looking machine!  Plus the sharp edges will expose you to liability.:D

Doubles are great for every reason I have already stated! They give you that needed flexibility and versatility. I guess I'm just trying to tweak and tweak some more. I don't know if I'll ever stop trying to improve the bottom line!

Steve 

I have a theory on singles vs doubles so I'll just throw it at you guys...

I noticed about a year after I first started that when I took a u turn 8 select and put in a 4 select, my sales would remain the same. I then tried a triple, same thing. Now, I run alot of doubles and they do good but I have some locations that are just singles and on some of these I had a double that one side would sell great the other just ok, so I switched to single, usually gumballs but also some chicle and guess what, the sales stayed the same, sometimes went up.

My theory is this...I think the other selections distract to some degree. Now there are a few rules i follow:

1- I wont downgrade it if other bulk vendors are there.

2- I only do it after I've tried to dial it in with other selections.

3- It has to have high traffic.

I have a few locations with singles that do 60-80 per month and one that does 50 per week, thats not the norm but singles do work.

Jimbo

• 1 month later...

When it comes to the size of the machine (i.e single, double, etc) or what product(s) to vend you should let the location decide, start with a single or double depending on the expectations you have for the location and then after a few months switch to a triple of maybe even a quad and let it run a few more months and then you will have actuall proof of what works best for that actuall location.  For the most part I find that triples provide the highest average for my route(s) but there are many locations where I run a double or even a quad and the average revenue is much higher then with a single or triple I would have never found this out had I not tried another size machine. The same goes for product selection - most people use gum and M&M's  but if your willing to take the time and try other options you may find some locations really sell better with other choices, it all takes time and effort like anything else in life.

Abbadox

I have a few locations with singles that do 60-80 per month and one that does 50 per week, thats not the norm but singles do work.

Jimbo

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

That is fantastic Jimbo!!! What do you sell at the 50.00 / week location?

David

Its a oak vista panel with extension running 850 bubble king mixed with fruit stand and splat. It is in a grocery store right accross the street from a high school in a town of about 1800.

Jimbo

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to the size of the machine (i.e single, double, etc) or what product(s) to vend you should let the location decide, start with a single or double depending on the expectations you have for the location and then after a few months switch to a triple of maybe even a quad and let it run a few more months and then you will have actuall proof of what works best for that actuall location.  For the most part I find that triples provide the highest average for my route(s) but there are many locations where I run a double or even a quad and the average revenue is much higher then with a single or triple I would have never found this out had I not tried another size machine. The same goes for product selection - most people use gum and M&M's  but if your willing to take the time and try other options you may find some locations really sell better with other choices, it all takes time and effort like anything else in life.

Abbadox

This I agree with! You won't find a solution for this discussion on here, because the variables are vast depending on the location. Try and get the most profit with the least heads per location. The location is key, and the product should cater to it.

Personally I would add more heads even if it only producced a 2 dollar a month increase, because it will cut back on my overall drive time and amount of locations needed.

• 2 weeks later...

it does not have ANYTHING to do with being able to prove going for the money.

it has to do with being a game of skill or a game of chance.

also it can not pay out more than 10 times the play. it doesnt matter if they walk out with 40 bouncy balls, if they put in a quarter and win a $10 bill it is gambling.

what if I offer 5$ off coupon on the  price of a pizza,would it still be gambleing?

it does not have ANYTHING to do with being able to prove going for the money.

it has to do with being a game of skill or a game of chance.

also it can not pay out more than 10 times the play. it doesnt matter if they walk out with 40 bouncy balls, if they put in a quarter and win a $10 bill it is gambling.

what if I offer 5$ off coupon on the  price of a pizza,would it still be gambleing?

I doubt it.  Chuck E Cheese and it's brethren are pretty much everywhere.  Kids play games for tickets that they can redeem for prizes...  Maybe you have to frame the coupon as 'half off!' instead of $5, but seems workable to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Another point to consider, if you only vend gumballs, your overall profit would be higher considering the low cost of gumballs in comparison to the other candies.

I am fairly new to vending (started in August 07), but I like the idea of only having to deal with one product.  Once I place the last of my triple heads, I think I will experiment with some singles.

Where do you guys place a charity sticker on a single, directly on the globe?  On my triple heads, I just put the sticker on the top lid.

Brian

Ok, I concede!

Its been 5 months since I started my conversion to the single head / single product business model. Its time to man up and admit my defeat.

Let me first say that I absolutely love the ease of carrying only 1 product. It makes my life so much easier in ways that can only be realized once you employ this tactic. I will continue to run mostly a 1 or 2 product fleet in single head machines.

Now the hard part. I was wrong. If you have followed this thread you are well aware of why I decided to give this philosophy a shot. However it just did not come to fruition. My sales across the board have dropped. For those of you who are interested in the actual numbers I will be posting an update to my report in the revenue section of member PLUS shortly.

There it is. Let the "I told you so's" begin! But I do not regret at least giving it a shot. At least I can say I tried.

Steve

caserri wrote:

Ok, I concede!

Its been 5 months since I started my conversion to the single head / single product business model. Its time to man up and admit my defeat.

Let me first say that I absolutely love the ease of carrying only 1 product. It makes my life so much easier in ways that can only be realized once you employ this tactic. I will continue to run mostly a 1 or 2 product fleet in single head machines.

Now the hard part. I was wrong. If you have followed this thread you are well aware of why I decided to give this philosophy a shot. However it just did not come to fruition. My sales across the board have dropped. For those of you who are interested in the actual numbers I will be posting an update to my report in the revenue section of member PLUS shortly.

There it is. Let the "I told you so's" begin! But I do not regret at least giving it a shot. At least I can say I tried.

Steve

have your numbers been steadily dropping or just nov and dec., because it is slow as hell out there right now for me.

There it is. Let the "I told you so's" begin!

Steve

*cough* :P

That was awesome that you took the risk to experiment and let us all benefit, Steve.  I don't think you'll get any told ya so!s.  Except for my cough ;)

-Lucero